X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Libpool, top the league...

(Yes, I bloody know)

Comment

That should've been 4 or 5. This is not a vintage Atleti side and Simeone is no Graham Potter, so once Liverpool were 2-0 up it felt like a comfortable evening.

Comment

I wonder does the sudden realization by referees that they can absolutely 100% send someone off for acting the cunt, spell the end for the atleti/simeone model?

Comment

I genuinely hope so.

Comment

Why are PSG so... well, ordinary? On the occasions I've watched them they seem to have a front-end of super-annuated has-beens (Mbape excepted) supported by a defence that would struggle to prevent goals in the National League. Leipzig are in a rebuilding mode, better they were last month but well off what they've been in the past few years. Yet they could, and maybe should, have won in Paris today. Why can't PSG get it together like the other rich-mens' follies?

Comment

Originally posted by scratchmonkey View Post
              Michael Oliver, and then VAR, get it completely and inexplicably wrong on sending off Hummels. Univision announcers going even more hyperbolic than they usually are, which is something.
              I dunno, it was a very rash tackle. Definitely a yellow, a red is a tad harsh but not "completely and inexplicably wrong".

Hummels is diving in studs up. If Antony's foot happens to be planted in the grass we're talking major injury.

Is the red only warranted when the receiving player is injured?
              Last edited by anton pulisov; 04-11-2021, 11:13.

Comment

If you only see it on twitter, it looks harmless enough but that's only because it's slowed down. If you see it at full speed it becomes clear that it's actually quite a dangerous lunge. And he's not really in control

Comment

Oh, it's an ill-timed tackle, no argument there, I would think a yellow at worst, there's not a huge amount of force behind and the real danger is if he'd come in underneath Antony, which he kind of does only because Antony hops over to the side so he lands on him to make it look worse than it is.

I watched it live and thought the red was harsh at the time, then a bad lapse in judgement on two parties (Oliver and whoever was on VAR) when seeing the replay.

Comment

It's excessive force. He does a running jump into the tackle from miles away, he has both legs out in front of him and has no control, he's so late anthony has time to execute a trick before he arrives, and he slides so far beyond the tackle, which is fair enough when you remember he's the guts of 15 stone. It's at 1.42 in this video. Go straight to it, because it's one of these ridiculously weird cuts of highlights, that induce migraine.I don't understand this style of video highlights.

Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 04-11-2021, 19:00.

Comment

It'd be excessive force if it's anybody aside from Hummels, his arse creates a natural plowing effect which drives him into the earth, he's going about 2 mph when he finally arrives. I'd agree that it's closer to a pratfall than anything you'd actually hope to execute as part of the sport; I still don't think it was a red, I'll concede that my original language was as hyperbolic as the Mexican commentary team and that it's probably within the spectrum of a reasonable decision.
                      Last edited by scratchmonkey; 04-11-2021, 19:49.

Comment

Grant Wahl in Tiraspol https://grantwahl.substack.com/p/the...-story-of-2021

Comment

I think Man U are definitely through if they get 3 points from their last 2 games, so a loss tonight is not fatal. However their chances of getting through the last 16 really depend on them winning the group.

On the other hand, going out in the last 16 at least means they can then focus on getting that 4th place in the EPL.

Barcelona have to beat Benfica given they play Bayern last.
                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 23-11-2021, 15:18.

Comment

Is that absolutely true about Man Utd and three points?

Comment

I think so because their two rivals have to play each other.

Comment

Ah right.

Comment

OTOH it could still finish Atalanta 11, Man U 10, Villarreal 10 so if Man U take a battering tonight that changes the group. I'm assuming their GD would be OK.

Comment

One free kick opportunity for Ronaldo, but fairly quiet from both sides approaching HT.

Comment

Villarreal ramping up the pressure - Rashford and Fernandes on for Van der Beek and Martial.

Comment

That was a brilliant save by de Gea a few minutes ago.
                                        Last edited by Sporting; 23-11-2021, 19:25.

Comment

Villarreal have been poor so far, but both these sides might stand a better chance of making next season's CL through the EL than the domestic route (Man U 8th, Villarreal 12th).
                                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 23-11-2021, 19:26.

Comment

Ronaldo with an opportunistic lob after Rulli's howler.

Comment

6 goals in 5 matches for Ronaldo - four of them after the 75th minute.
                                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 23-11-2021, 19:35.

Comment

TBF, United do appear to have more of a shape since the subs were made, not that that would be hard.

Comment

Rashford and Fernandes both with decent attempts now.

Comment

Sancho breaks his United duck and puts them into the last 16 (if Atalanta overtake them, then Villareal can't do so).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X