Expansive Football.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expansive Football.

Based on historical boundaries and the current pool of players in the world, which historical empire could put out the strongest team?

I can't think past Spain circa 1600; even better if I cheat and include the Iberian Union as a whole.

The Roman Empire around the end of the 1st century AD would be alright too.

Britain would be fucked.

I should probably do some work.

Expansive Football.

Ha!

I was thinking of exactly this, last week!

The thing is, you'd have to take the empires at their furthest expansion, in which case there'd be a whole lot of 'overlap'.

Holland, Portugal, Spain would all be in with a good shout. Britain, ancient Mongolia, China would be a little way behind. What about the Scandinavians and the (various) Mexicans? Interesting outsiders, there, I think.

Comment

Expansive Football.

Britain could have a bloke riding an elephant down the left wing.

Comment

Expansive Football.

Let's not forget Germany (1938-1943). They'd be able to give anyone a good game.

Comment

Expansive Football.

Austria-Hungary would have pick of a good crop, as would a reconvened USSR/CIS.

Comment

Expansive Football.

I reckon the Ottomans circa 15th-16th century would be good as an outside bet, they'd include all of the former Yugoslav area and other parts of East Europe / former Russian states as well as part of North Africa.

Comment

Expansive Football.

If contrast with current fortunes counts for anything, it has to be Macedonia.

Comment

Expansive Football.

Let's not forget Germany (1938-1943). They'd be able to give anyone a good game.
                Yeah, but they often needed a bent ref to win, like that game in Paris in 1943. Very lucky to draw that one 4-4.

Comment

Expansive Football.

Hopefully Macedonia will never qualify for a World Cup or European Championships.

Poland used to be about three times the size of its current borders. Its commonwealth with Lithuania (1569-1795) made it the largest country in Europe, and included all of present-day Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and Belarus, as well as huge chunks of Estonia and Ukraine and a fair bit of Russia's western flank.

So with that lot at their disposal, you'd imagine they'd at least be able to fare a bit better than relying on Artur Boruc to keep the score down against Austria.

Comment

Expansive Football.

Napoleon's French Empire at its height would be good.

Portugal with Brazil and a few others sounds good.

Comment

Working...
                    X