X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peter Gulacsi

Seems a good egg

https://twitter.com/peterfr89977258/status/1364617808454316033?s=21

Excellent keeper, I can't understand how he was six years at Liverpool without getting a game. Good to know he's using his position to take a stand in a country where that's not a easy as it might be elsewhere.

Comment

Pity he plays for such a horrible club. But then, some might say the same about Marcus Rashford.

Comment

It's brave of him. (Look here for an example of what happens to public figures who say anything that disagrees with the FIDESZ worldview https://hungarianspectrum.org/2021/0...-orban-regime/ ). More power to him.

Comment

Seems like a lifetime ago he was on loan with us. Good for him, I say.

Comment

No fans of Leipzig in this house, but we've always liked Gulacsi - didn't know anything about his politics, he just seemed kind of cult from a goalkeeping point of view. He's not just a great keeper, he has this kind of rugged, no-fuss attitude. Going to upgrade that like to a love from now on.

Comment

Last week, many Bundesliga players signed a statement against homophobia, and pledged themselves to protect players who want to come out. I'm pleased to say that the whole squad of FC Koln signed, personally and as a collective (the club has been a pioneer on that issue). I don't know whether any other squad did that.

Max Kruse of Union Berlin expanded on the statement, saying that he'll personally protect such as player from abuse, whether in the dressing room or stadium or in public. And Kruse is the kind of guy you very much would want on your side in a brawl.

Comment

Another Hungarian footballer in Germany, Zsanett Jakabfi of Wolfsburg, two-time CL winner, has done the same. https://444.hu/2021/02/25/jakabfi-zs...alad-az-csalad

Comment

Eva Balogh's take (she's terrible writing about football, because she clearly has no interest in the game, but writing about Orban means that she has to more often than she would like i suspect). There isn't much new here, but the (unsurprising) news that Gulacsi and Jakabfi have come under loads of fire back in Hungary https://hungarianspectrum.org/2021/0...for-tolerance/

Comment

Thanks for that. It does provide some context, though I'm guessing Gulasci and his wife — is she Hungarian? — would have anticipated the domestic reaction.

Comment

Well maybe. His wife is (I think) Hungarian (she's got a Hungarian name anyway), but they've been outside the country for a good few years now in the UK and Germany and living in an environment where LGBTQ is totally normal (not perfectly obviously but certainly compared to Hungary). It's possible they mix with other well travelled and /or middle class Hungarians who don't share the government viewpoint and they may have been surprised at the response (or not, but they felt like it was important anyway) Either way, fair play to them

Comment

Hertha Berlin goalkeeping coach Zsolt Petry has been sacked by the club for an interview he did in a Hungarian newspaper criticising Gulacsi and "liberal" policies on immigration and homosexuality.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                          Hertha Berlin goalkeeping coach Zsolt Petry has been sacked by the club for an interview he did in a Hungarian newspaper criticising Gulacsi and "liberal" policies on immigration and homosexuality.
                          Splendid.

Comment

Aw, but he didn't mean to offend anyone with his views on immigration, says Hungarian living in Germany. Offending The Gays, on the other hand...

Comment

https://twitter.com/MurphyPeterN/status/1381542250602188803

Comment

He was taken out of context, he claims, and he blames the media for mistranslating him (both, Hungarian AND German?). The article doesn't say whether Petry offered an alternative translation, or explained what possible context there might be whose absence would make his utterances look any better.

Comment

No he blames the Hungarian paper for leaving out bits of the interview and the German media for mistranslating (and taking out of context)

I'd assume his hasty denials were utter bollocks - except that by making them he's burning his bridges in Hungary. Orb?n would have guaranteed him a cushy job in football if he just upped sticks in Berlin and went home. (I mean I am still inclined to the bollocks interpretation)

Comment

Working...
                                  X