X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dai Drops Off RIP

Wales and Swansea City great Dai Davies has died aged 72

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...wsApp_AppShare

Really sad news this, from all accounts a lovely man. Forever known as Dai Drop by that takes away from all his achievements.

RIP

Sad news, the first Wales keeper I can recall. Shocked that he was as old as 72.

Comment

He was certainly playing for Everton when I first got into fitba' in the early seventies - which would've been his early/mid-twenties.

RIP.

Comment

Bloody hell, similar to Ray, I was surprised he was that old but, having checked, Gary Sprake was 71 when he died 4 years ago.

Comment

He was a prominent keeper in my "peak football fan" era as a kid, and yet only when he dies do I find out how interesting he was. RIP.

For obvious reasons, keepers are often unfairly represented in highlights, with 85 minutes of competence left on the cutting room floor. So I was trying to recall if I ever saw him in a live game on TV (certainly never saw him in the flesh). Drawn a blank, as Everton weren't reaching finals and the Wales games weren't live like England-Scotland.

Comment

Having checked, I did see him in person, playing for Wrexham at Exeter, division 3 (old). I can pretend I appreciated his talents but I was 15 and probably just gobbed off at him.

Comment

I've not really seen it mentioned in the tributes I've read, but Dai was relatively late to professional football, as he'd completed his training as a PE teacher before he joined Swansea. The story being that Swansea offered him more than he'd get as a first year teacher.

His age at passing wasn't a surprise to me, but that's because he was at College with my dad (albeit two years his senior) and they played together for Cardiff College of Education (now Cardiff Met).

Comment

Working...
              X