Does your team scan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
    On a slight sidetrack, on one of my first ever trips to Griffin Park, I was stood near a group of rather portly gentlemen singing "We are Bees, we are Bees, we are Bees!" which sounded a lot too much like "We're obese, we're obese, we're obese!" Never been able to hear that chant without sniggering ever since.
    That's just reminded me, I once heard "You're inbred, you're inbred, you're inbred" to that same tune, which sounded like a very disgusting loaf.

We use 'County' every time two syllables fits, except for in the standard "We love you [team name], we do" when we opt for Stockport instead for some reason.

Comment

We've only got one song and it uses the traditional, 2 syllable version of our name - Dayul, Dayul..

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
        Scunthorpe United is five syllables, so we sing the factually correct "by far the greatest team..." as "Scuuun United", which works fine.

We have the Kettering spelling one too:
        With an S and a C and a U,N,T
        H and O and R,P,E
        U N I T E D
        Scunthorpe United FC!
        Did this start off genuinely innocent or was there always an element of glee at spelling out C, U, N, T?

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
          We've only got one song and it uses the traditional, 2 syllable version of our name - Dayul, Dayul..
          The chant I always remember of yours was on one of your last visits (possibly the last) to Bootham Crescent, when we heard a few times entertainingly ringing out from the away end: "Rochdale's a sh*thole, I want to stay here".

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
          Did this start off genuinely innocent or was there always an element of glee at spelling out C, U, N, T?
          Reminds me of a group of Accrington fans in our away end wearing t-shirts with the individual letters spelling out the name of the club. After standing in order for most of the first half, they obviously got bored and started rearranging themselves...

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post
            Easiest Where's Wally ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post

The chant I always remember of yours was on one of your last visits (possibly the last) to Bootham Crescent, when we heard a few times entertainingly ringing out from the away end: "Rochdale's a sh*thole, I want to stay here".

It began with away fans singing, "Rochdale's a shithole, we want to go home" at every game at Spotland. "We already know" being the response. It caused a bit of a rumpus on our message board at the time with some posters arguing it showed a lack of civic pride.

Comment

away fans singing, "xxx's a shithole, we want to go home"
                It always amuses me, this one, and my lot are as guilty of it as any. It always prompts me to think, "If you've come here and found it is, then why don't you? And if you've been here before, and knew it already, then if you've come again you can't be very bright, can you?" I can be accused of taking things a bit literally sometimes.

Comment

I tried to get a round of "I was looking for the ground, and I found the ground, Heaven knows I'm miserable now" during a particular torrid encounter at Belle Vue once.

Comment

It began with away fans singing, "Rochdale's a shithole, we want to go home" at every game at Spotland. "We already know" being the response. It caused a bit of a rumpus on our message board at the time with some posters arguing it showed a lack of civic pride.
                    Off-topic, but let me state for the record that I have only visited Rochdale once, around 20 years ago, and I had a lovely time being shown around the Co-op museum by a nice old lady whose pride and enthusiasm were infectious. I liked it so much I even signed the visitors' book.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

On the occasions I've been to St Mary's, I've sung that it was "All Southampton", and never thought I was wrong. You've made me doubt myself now.
                      Hang on, what's going on here? Are you a two-club type?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                        Barry fans sing "Unbelievable Barry Town" to the tune of Ring of Fire as a call and response.
                        Oooh, another song name looked up and learned, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post

Off-topic, but let me state for the record that I have only visited Rochdale once, around 20 years ago, and I had a lovely time being shown around the Co-op museum by a nice old lady whose pride and enthusiasm were infectious. I liked it so much I even signed the visitors' book.
                          I've not been recently so I can't comment on how much the redevelopment of the town centre has improved the place but a lot of the criticism Rochdale has received over the years has been the result of lazy journalism. That poor decision making from successive councils has played a significant part is not in doubt - its not solely down to
                          post-industrial malaise that Rochdale is invariably seen as the go to location for reports on Benefits Britain, nowhere else in the UK has such a transient population - but the town has a lot to offer too. As you say the co-op museum is well worth a visit as is the art gallery. And that's not to mention the majestic town hall.
                          Last edited by Artificial Hipster; 09-01-2021, 12:49.

Comment

Barnsley have Reds, Barnsley, Barns-er-ly and most improbably ... and it's Barns-er- lee-ee FC when declaring our arrival at the top of the football ladder.

Barnsley and Huddersfield had a bout of communal singing in the last few minutes of their final game of the 2012/13 season. Barnsley needed to win to stay up but Huddersfield only needed to avoid defeat to stay up. It was 2-2 as ninety minutes elapsed, but then Palace scored against Peterborough meaning we were both safe if the results stayed the same. Anyway, injury time outdid Germany v Poland in 1982 as both sets of fans sang 'Yorkshire' 'We are staying up' and of course 'We all hate Leeds scum' together. It was quite surreal and well worth watching the eight minute 'highlights' on youtube. You also get the Barnsleyest commentator you'll ever hear...

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Oooh, another song name looked up and learned, thank you.
                              You didn't know 'Ring of Fire'?

I know the original has never been in the UK singles charts but am surprised at that.
                              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 09-01-2021, 16:35.

Comment

I can't be certain I've never heard it. but I don't know it, no. I guess if pushed I'd have assumed the "Da-Da-Da-Da-Da-Danny Webb" song came from a "proper" song that I should have heard of, like the Sister Act song and Helule Helule and all those other old songs that are football songs. But no, listening to it all the way through now, I don't know it.

Comment

A new fact to me: Johnny Cash's version of "Ring Of Fire" was a cover of a song written by his future wife, June Carter, and recorded by her sister, Anita.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Aptly, the go to 'Scunthorpe' image for popular STAND fanzine is this bloke who was vox-popped on the BBC's Football League Show, with an unfortunately positioned scarf.

Comment

One of the great sadnesses for me since we have been relegated is not playing Motherwell at Christmas, so we can now no longer sing “FEED THE WELL - LET THEM KNOW IT’S CHRISTMAS TIME.”

Comment

I was going to say that I'd miss "I'm no Killie, I'm not so fucking silly, I'm no Killie, I'm a Jag" but, given that appears to be sung whoever the opponent, I presume it endures?

Comment

Two more from the same club to the tune of 'Stars and Stripes Forever'. Section B is their own pet name.

Air-di-ree, Air-di-ree, Air-di-ree.

Section B, Section B, section B.

Comment

Working...
                                          X