Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monstered

Eric Hall has died.

A bit of a joke figure to be sure, I remember doing a double take when I first heard him on the radio, I think after Dennis Wise was convicted for assaulting a cab driver. He sounded like someone had invented him. Nevertheless, worth remembering as one of the handful of football agents anyone could mention by name when they started, rightly or wrongly, to become as well known as players/managers were in the 90s.

Had a column in one of the tabloids yesteryear, always up for a bit of paper talk, seems a quaint figure now from old football, had one of those old London accents you don't hear any more except on anti-Semitic bits on the Goons and apparently did backing vocals for Tiny Tim.

Comment

I think he was originally a grifter in the music business before he leeched off football. He knew it was an act so had some self-deprecation.

Comment

RIP. Horrible game Hall was in, but he himself seemed (generally) harmless enough.

He'd been wining and dining with Marc Bolan on the night of said T Rex legend’s death, fact fans.

Comment

I remember seeing him in the Princess Royal before a Brentford game in the 90s. He was trying to engineer a move away for Nicky Forster at the time, and seemed surprised that the local fans were less than happy to see him, and that we should be grateful that he was persuading our star striker to leave. He left swiftly after being told that he'd better.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
            had one of those old London accents you don't hear any more except on anti-Semitic bits on the Goons
            The old show with Spike Milligan & gang?

Comment

It was just Peter Sellers who did the accent. I've never been struck by it being anti-semitic as opposed to a caricature, unlike the hindi accents that he and Milligan put on.

Comment

I dunno, it always seems to be used with grasping Mr ten per cent agent characters. I think I remember a similar outing of that trope on Hancock too, but I may have that wrong. I mean, on the Goons it didn't seem to be spiteful as much as a product of the times, but I have found it a bit jarring.
                I have only ever listened to the Goons over the last couple of years since I have had BBC Sounds on my phone and although I expected a few outdated attitudes, it was one I didn't expect to hear.

Comment

Seemed an OK guy who was laughing along with us half the time.

His music career highlights all have an expected whiff of bullshit about them, but here he is with hair, talking about his role in the Sex Pistols' Bill Grundy appearance.

https://youtu.be/O59Nh5tb02o

Comment

For some reason I thought his career ended in ignominy but then I realised I was thinking of Max Clifford.

Comment

Apparently Wise never visited him in hospital when he became seriously ill in the 90s and much like other players, just moved to another agent when he realised Hall wasn't up to the job physically. On the other hand, Tim Sherwood would visit him every day.

In many of the 70s photos of Hall, he looks like a chunky Marc Bolan.

Comment

Wise being a prize twunt doesn’t come as any major surprise.

Comment

he was very happy to be an oversized figure celebrating the money to be made from football; he used to go on one of those Friday night ITV 'debate' shows back in the 90s and laugh at fans who complained about being priced out of games etc, and called said how much he delighted in ripping them off. I thought he was a complete cunt then, and he never did anything else to disabuse me of that notion. He might have been a pastiche, but the pastiche was 'man who is a utter utter wanker' so, if the cap fits etc.

Comment

My opinion of him was always the same. He came across as pretty repugnant and sneery towards football as anything else but a money making opportunity.

Comment

Working...
                            X