No announcement yet.

Clubs Playing Home Games At Other Grounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prompting the next tangent: any strange choices for one-off home games, usually in the cup for non-league sides, wanting a bigger capacity. If Blyth Spartans playing at Newcastle in 1978 was "normal", which venues weren't?

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
      Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but when Burton Albion drew Derby County in the FA Cup in 1985, they switched the match to Filbert Street. Derby won the match 6-1 but the Burton goalkeeper was struck by a missile thrown from the crowd - a piece of seating, I think it was - and the FA ordered the match to be replayed behind closed doors at Highfield Road on a Wednesday afternoon instead. Derby won that match too. Burton's manager at the time was Neil Warnock.
      You've got your Leicesters and Derbys the wrong way around Ian (I know, I was there). Burton switched their cup tie against Leicester to Derby and the crowd trouble at the Baseball Ground meant a replay in Cov which Leicester won 1-0.

Comment

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but when Burton Albion drew Derby County in the FA Cup in 1985, they switched the match to Filbert Street. Derby won the match 6-1 but the Burton goalkeeper was struck by a missile thrown from the crowd - a piece of seating, I think it was - and the FA ordered the match to be replayed behind closed doors at Highfield Road on a Wednesday afternoon instead. Derby won that match too. Burton's manager at the time was Neil Warnock.
        He's still angry about it, I'm guessing. It seems odd that Burton were not awarded the tie but I guess this was pre-Heysel and the prevailing norm was "let's not punish the club for the acts of a few idiots."

Comment

(Oops, on getting them the wrong way round)

I was just reading that the issue was that they made it pay on the gate, which seems extraordinary, nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

What was this hooligan wave in March 1961? Outraged Cliff Richard fans?
            Well I've done a bit of digging and thanks to the excellent Harley Lawer's Argyle Classic I can tell you the it was "a gent who threw a bottle and fellow 'terrorists' using tea cartons" that earned Argyle the closure but against whom isn't specified. Looking at the fixtures one of Leeds, Huddersfield or Aston Villa.

Of more interest on the Monday of that week, the game was ordered to be played at White Hart Lane by order of the Football League Management Committee, but late Wednesday it was switched to Plainmoor (whether Prenton Park was considered is not recorded) leading Alf Ramsey to exclaim, in capital letters, 'never have so many been muddled by so few for so long'.

Torquay initially cancelled their Saturday reserve game and began printing tickets but the FL didn't contact them to confirm the game so they then refused to stage it stating they may only be a third division club but they weren't going to be messed about. By this time the FL committee were doing something at the Ministry of Labour so it was left to a spokesman to shout 'This is an order'. So the big gripe turned out to be that the FA shut the ground and left the Football League to ineffectually to deal with it.

Just over 9500 turned up in the end though it's suggested not many from Plymouth and though it was the lowest attendance of the season there was a similar crowd at an earlier League Cup game. Ipswich might have been a bit of a draw to the riviera folk as they were romping to the division two title and would be league champions the following year.

Comment

The Guardian, March 11, 1961
              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 10-11-2020, 17:23.

Comment

Enfield switched their FA Cup fourth round replay match against Barnsley in 1981 to White Hart Lane. Spurs were building the new West Stand at the time so it was a bit of a weird atmosphere, but there were still 35,000 in there and quite a few locked out. Bigger crowd than Spurs were getting at the time, I think.

Lost 3-0, obviously.

Comment

Enfield switched their FA Cup fourth round replay match against Barnsley in 1981 to White Hart Lane. Spurs were building the new West Stand at the time so it was a bit of a weird atmosphere, but there were still 35,000 in there and quite a few locked out. Bigger crowd than Spurs were getting at the time, I think.

Lost 3-0, obviously.
                  How does it work that Enfield could get a lock out when Spurs were not. I can't see there being that many latent Enfield fans, even allowing for them being one of the top non-league clubs of the time nor Barnsley bringing thousands. What was the attraction of the tie, the chance to witness history?

Comment

The first match had been one of the featured matches on the previous weekend's The Big Match and Enfield had already put two league clubs - Hereford and Port Vale - out in the last two rounds, so there was a lot of local interest. It was all over the local press at the the time. I've still got the two page spread they got in the Evening Standard after the first match on a scrap at my dad's house, I think.

It's also probably worth remembering that although Spurs ended the season by winning the winning the FA Cup, they weren't doing any great shakes in the league - I think they finished that season in tenth place - and crowds for their matches fluctuated far more in those days because there were fewer season ticket holders.

But yes, it's true that there was no huge latent support for Enfield. They always struggled for crowds in the Conference when they got into that league.

Comment

In the 1974 FA Cup Third Round, Hendon drew at Newcastle and the replay took place at Vicarage Road. Newcastle won 4-0.

https://youtu.be/4JSEBH1exIc

In the 6th Round, Newcastle would meet Nottingham Forest beating them 4-3 after trailing 1-3, thanks in no small part to a mass pitch invasion.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KHWoY-0SThs&t=5s

The FA ordered the match to be replayed at Goodison Park. The first replay ended in a 0-0 draw after extra time and Newcastle won the second replay, also at Goodison Park, 1-0.

Comment

Originally posted by steviecowden View Post
                        ICT at pittodrie,clach at Inverness rugby club,Bonar bridge at dornoch,Celtic at hampden,hearts at Murrayfield, Cowdenbeath at East fife,cove rangers pretty much everywhere in Aberdeenshire,Clyde at firhill/Douglas park,fort William at lossiemouth,Gretna at motherwell
                        away from Scotland,Atalanta at the San siro,sassuolo in regio Emilia,shaktar Donetsk in lviv,honved at MTK,ujpest at vasas
                        Stevie, I’ve arrived late for this thread - must have went to the wrong ground! I remember all of those apart from the Fort at Lossie. What was the background there? Per google maps it’s 111 miles between the two. Inverness is 66 miles. Why not play at Clach?
                        Last edited by DPDPDPDP; 12-11-2020, 11:45.

Comment

Inverness Coachnacudden has a certain ring to it...

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
                            Football League games held other than club's regular home grounds (not including long term ground shares):

Sept 1893 - 2 x Walsall games @ Wednesbury Old Athletic (Walsall's new ground not ready)
                            23/02/1895 - Woolwich Arsenal v Burton Swifts @ Priestfield (crowd trouble)
                            09/03/1895 - Woolwich Arsenal v Leicester @ Leyton CC (crowd trouble)
                            1895 & 1896 - 3 x Notts County grounds @ Town Ground - then home of Nottingham Forest (Trent Bridge being used for cricket)
                            03/04/1896 - Crewe v Loughborough @ Sandbach St Mary's (normal ground not available for reasons lost to time, possibly another's sport or lease had ended)
                            Feb & Sept 1899 - 2 x Loughborough games @ Filbert Street (one due to crowd trouble at a reserve fixture, the other due to Loughborough's normal home being used for cricket)
                            1899 - 1909 - 21 x Notts County games @ City Ground (Trent Bridge being used for cricket)
                            31/03/1900 - Loughborough v Port Vale @ The Vicarage, Loughborough (crowd trouble)
                            19/04/02 - Gainsborough v Blackpool @ Bowling Green Ground (Northolme being used for cricket)
                            18/04/1903 - Sunderland v Middlesbrough @ St James' Park (opposition players attacked in previous game)
                            1905 - 1907 - 4 x Hull games @ Boulevard Ground (used for occasional games, possibly when expecting larger gate)
                            Nov - Dec 1919 - 2 x West Brom games @ Molineux (crowd trouble)
                            07/05/1921 - Stockport v Leicester @ Old Trafford (crowd trouble)
                            01/03/1930 - QPR v Coventry @ Highbury (crowd trouble)
                            Nov - Dec 1930 - 2 x Clapton Orient games @ Wembley (pitch at normal venue had been found to be too narrow)
                            13/12/1947 - Millwall v Newcastle @ Selhurst Park (crowd trouble) April 1950 - 2 x Huddersfield games @ Elland Road (fire at Leeds Road)
                            18/03/1961 - Plymouth v Ipswich @ Plainmoor (crowd trouble)
                            25/03/1961 - Gillingham v Wrexham @ Gravesend & Northfleet (crowd trouble)
                            25/03/1970 - Walsall v Brighton @ Molineux (waterlogged pitch at Fellows Park)
                            23/08/1971 - Manchester United v West Brom @ Victoria Ground (crowd trouble)
                            17/01/1976 - Stoke v Middlesbrough @ Vale Park (roof blew off stand at Victoria Ground)
                            01/04/1978 - Millwall v Bristol Rovers @ Fratton Park (crowd trouble)
                            Aug - Sept 1980 - 3 x Bristol Rovers games @ Ashton Gate (fire at Eastville)
                            Sep 1985 - Mar 1986 - 4 x Bradford City games @ Elland Road (redevelopment following Valley Parade fire)
                            Sep 1985 - Apr 1986 - 6 x Bradford City games @ Leeds Road (redevelopment following Valley Parade fire)
                            23/08/1986 - Middlesbrough v Port Vale @ Victoria Park (locked out of Ayresome Park)
                            16/05/93 - Leicester v Portsmouth @ City Ground (playoff semi, redevelopment at Filbert Street)
                            Aug - Oct 2001 - 8 x Bournemouth games @ Dorchester (redevelopment at Dean Court)

I've taken these from The Ultimate Directory of English & Scottish League Grounds. That was published in 2002, so obviously doesn't include any later instances.
                            Newcastle played Leeds at Hillsbrough in 1971 as a spill over from the Elland Rd WBA carry on the previous season. Dont think we we the only team affected by Leeds closure either

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
                              In the 1974 FA Cup Third Round, Hendon drew at Newcastle and the replay took place at Vicarage Road. Newcastle won 4-0.

https://youtu.be/4JSEBH1exIc

In the 6th Round, Newcastle would meet Nottingham Forest beating them 4-3 after trailing 1-3, thanks in no small part to a mass pitch invasion.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KHWoY-0SThs&t=5s

The FA ordered the match to be replayed at Goodison Park. The first replay ended in a 0-0 draw after extra time and Newcastle won the second replay, also at Goodison Park, 1-0.
                              We also got drawn at home to Man City in next season third round but had to play at Maine Rd as continued punishment from Forest game. I remember Forest were not only aggrieved about SJP game not being awarded to them but having drawn at Goodison felt fully entitled to having 'replay' at City Ground rather than traipsing back to Goodison.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                Prompting the next tangent: any strange choices for one-off home games, usually in the cup for non-league sides, wanting a bigger capacity. If Blyth Spartans playing at Newcastle in 1978 was "normal", which venues weren't?
                                On a further tangent. 42,157 turned up at SJP for that Blyth Wrexham cup game. So wretched was the home club that season the highest league crowd was 40,735. What are other examples of highest seasons attendances at a club ground not being provided by home club? Along with references to ground sharing will also have to exclude neutral FA cup semi final games & the like.

Comment

Didn't My Name Is Ian say that Enfield out did Tottenham at White Hart Lane back in the day?

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post

We also got drawn at home to Man City in next season third round but had to play at Maine Rd as continued punishment from Forest game. I remember Forest were not only aggrieved about SJP game not being awarded to them but having drawn at Goodison felt fully entitled to having 'replay' at City Ground rather than traipsing back to Goodison.
                                    I think they had a point!

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
                                      Inverness Coachnacudden has a certain ring to it...
                                      Aye, they’re good at parking the bus! Typo now corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post

Newcastle played Leeds at Hillsbrough in 1971 as a spill over from the Elland Rd WBA carry on the previous season. Dont think we we the only team affected by Leeds closure either
                                        Well that takes Leeds out of my list of clubs who've played every home league game on the same pitch.
                                        I haven't done exhaustive research but this is what I have so far, basically from Wikipedia. Thought Sheff Utd might have clashed with cricket at some point?

Burnley (1888)
                                        Preston (1888)
                                        Sheffield United (1892)
                                        Liverpool (1893)
                                        Newcastle (1893)
                                        Barnsley (1896)
                                        Chelsea (1905)
                                        Oldham (1907)
                                        Portsmouth (1920)
                                        Swindon (1920)
                                        Exeter (1920-2003, 2008-)
                                        Rochdale (1921)
                                        Tranmere (1921-2015,2018-)
                                        Barrow (1921-1972, 2020-)
                                        Mansfield (1931-2008, 2013-)
                                        Ipswich (1938)
                                        Peterborough (1960)
                                        Cambridge (1970)
                                        Wycombe (1993)
                                        Cheltenham (1999)
                                        Accrington (2006)
                                        Burton (2009)
                                        Stevenage (2010)
                                        Crawley (2011)
                                        Fleetwood (2012)
                                        Newport (2013)
                                        FGR (2017)
                                        Salford (2019)
                                        Harrogate (2020)

Comment

Harrogate Town don't belong on the list because they started the season at Doncaster while they had a grass pitch laid.
                                          Last edited by Capybara; 13-11-2020, 16:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                            Didn't My Name Is Ian say that Enfield out did Tottenham at White Hart Lane back in the day?
                                            Dont think he was as specific as that. And with good reason. The Enfield WHL attendance 35,244 was beaten by Spurs on a number of occasions that season with 43,270 being the highest League attendance. They also managed over 40,000 against Exeter in the FA cup.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                                              Harrogate Town don't belong on the list because they started the season at Doncaster while they had a grass pitch laid.
                                              Also do Newport count as only being a league club from 2013 playing at Rodney Parade? While the original club collapsed in 1989 the reformed club still carry & continue the club history from 1912 formation which includes the games at Somerton Park.

Comment

It's weird they're still called The Exiles

Comment

Originally posted by Baptiste View Post

Well that takes Leeds out of my list of clubs who've played every home league game on the same pitch.
                                                  I haven't done exhaustive research but this is what I have so far, basically from Wikipedia. Thought Sheff Utd might have clashed with cricket at some point?

Burnley (1888)
                                                  Preston (1888)
                                                  Sheffield United (1892)
                                                  Liverpool (1893)
                                                  Newcastle (1893)
                                                  Barnsley (1896)
                                                  Chelsea (1905)
                                                  Oldham (1907)
                                                  Portsmouth (1920)
                                                  Swindon (1920)
                                                  Exeter (1920-2003, 2008-)
                                                  Rochdale (1921)
                                                  Tranmere (1921-2015,2018-)
                                                  Barrow (1921-1972, 2020-)
                                                  Mansfield (1931-2008, 2013-)
                                                  Ipswich (1938)
                                                  Peterborough (1960)
                                                  Cambridge (1970)
                                                  Wycombe (1993)
                                                  Cheltenham (1999)
                                                  Accrington (2006)
                                                  Burton (2009)
                                                  Stevenage (2010)
                                                  Crawley (2011)
                                                  Fleetwood (2012)
                                                  Newport (2013)
                                                  FGR (2017)
                                                  Salford (2019)
                                                  Harrogate (2020)

Great research.

Comment

How many ex-league clubs could be added to that list (having played all their home games since relegation on that same ground)?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X