Sex discrimination in football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sex discrimination in football

Sorry if there's a thread already on this general topic, I couldn't find one. I also wondered about posting this on the "footballers and coronavirus" thread as it's lockdown-related but I think the wider topic of sexism is more the issue here.

What has prompted this post is the news in the attached link [edit: see link in Sporting's post two posts down from here], which I think is stunningly bad, and shows how much more progress needs to happen in terms of equal treatment for women's football. Apparently girls's academies at big clubs are shutting down for lockdown while the corresponding boys' ones are allowed to keep going. What the actual fuck? What dinosaur scumbags made that decision?

Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 07-11-2020, 12:32.

I saw that too and was similarly disgusted.

Link broken though.
    Last edited by Sporting; 07-11-2020, 12:26.

Comment

Think this is the link:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ay-on-lockdown

Comment

Why is the uk discriminating against boys like this? Why isn't it according the same respect to their health and safety as they do for young women?

Comment

The point here isn't about the safety or COVID-risk of academy football - about which no doubt there are arguments on either side, and I for one certainly wouldn't argue for a more liberal approach to lockdown in that area generally - but about the difference in treatment between the sexes and the likely reason for it. It has, of course, nothing whatever to do with the H&S of the football-playing girls themselves, as the main COVID risk is to their older family members not to the youngsters, just as with the boys. What is almost certainly driving it, and the strong message it is sending, is that boys' football *matters* more than girls' football. And that absolutely stinks. It's a throwback by 20 or 30 years.

Comment

heh, I just found the premise amusing coming from a country where both would have been shut down a fortnight ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
              The point here isn't about the safety or COVID-risk of academy football - about which no doubt there are arguments on either side, and I for one certainly wouldn't argue for a more liberal approach to lockdown in that area generally - but about the difference in treatment between the sexes and the likely reason for it. It has, of course, nothing whatever to do with the H&S of the football-playing girls themselves, as the main COVID risk is to their older family members not to the youngsters, just as with the boys. What is almost certainly driving it, and the strong message it is sending, is that boys' football *matters* more than girls' football. And that absolutely stinks. It's a throwback by 20 or 30 years.
              20 or 30 years? Try six months! The Premier League and Championship of last season were each played to a completion, the Women's Super League was not. Chelsea, who were not even top at the curtailment, ended up as champions on a points per game basis.

Comment

Working...
              X