No announcement yet.

Last player on your team to be older than you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha, I’ve only just seen Hot Orange’s post above mine.

Comment

For any Ipswich fans born after February 1974 it looks like the answer could well be Ivan Campo, which is pretty cool.

Comment

Looks likely to be Shay Given in 2010, when he was replaced by Joe Hart. So two years after the oil money came pouring in and there was no chance of anyone old being in the squad.

Comment

Peter Beardsley in 1997 at 36 years of age gets the honour. I just managed by a couple of months to pull seniority on Ian Rush a year later.

Comment

Looks like it is Graham Alexander for me. I'm strangely happy with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Uroš Predi? View Post
              Like lambers, I'm still able to watch a player older than me turn out for the club.

James Coppinger is two years older than me, and he's just been offered a new contract for next season.
              Not worth starting a spin-off thread, but he would be in the category "players you would sign as a young prospect during the heyday* of Championship Manager who are still playing in real life".

*for me, the 1999/00, 2000/01 and 2001/02 editions.

Comment

Billy Thomson. The last outfield player was Davie Dodds.

Comment

The return of prodigal son Jonathan Greening for a couple of games in the autumn of 2015, when he was 36 to my 35. This brief cameo ended with a red card in a 0-6 horsing at Fratton Park, with a (you'd hope unlikely) story doing the rounds at the time that he'd deliberately got sent off in order to be suspended and thus able to attend a mate's wedding (or possibly stag party, can't remember which).

While I'm by no means a specimen of physical perfection, it did make me feel slightly better about myself to be reminded a year or so later when he also returned that I am actually 18 months older than Jon Parkin.

Comment

I had instinctively thought in my case this dubious honour belonged to Peter Reid as Manchester City player manager up to 1993 but then I recalled John Burridge's handful of appearances in 1994.

Comment

Originally posted by via vicaria View Post
                      After a sojourn to wikipedia, it seems I'm being kept young by Heurelho Gomes, Ben Foster (thank god for keepers) and Jose Holebas in defence who's a couple of months older than me.
                      Same, although I slip under the line with Adrian Mariappa too, who'd have been in my year at school.

The last player we signed that's older than me was Foster in summer 2018. Prior to that, another goalkeeper, Orestis Karnezis, in August 2017. Outfield it would be Mauro Zarate in January 2017 then Mariappa in August 2016.
                      Last edited by JM Footzee; 04-03-2021, 13:39.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                        Soccerbase.com is good for detailing the last games played in - it tells me Beresford played his last Southampton game in January 2000, with Colleter making his last appearance in February.
                        So, S. Aureus makes it to the millennium as a potential footballer.
                        Thank you.

Comment

Ronny Johnsen, once of Manchester United and Aston Villa, was one year my senior when he hung up his boots after the 2008 season at the age of 39. He was still able to dominate a game in the Norwegian League at that age.

Comment

Originally posted by Stobart View Post
                            Billy Thomson. The last outfield player was Davie Dodds.
                            That opens a new can of worms for me. I'd correctly guessed the last player (and scorer!) to be older than me; now I have to work out the last outfield player too, and nobody springs to mind. Colin Calderwood perhaps? I'll get back to you on this one...

Check completed. Calderwood would have been a brilliant answer had he not been two years younger than me. The actual answer appears to be in and around Andy Townsend.
                            Last edited by 1974ddr; 28-06-2020, 18:05.

Comment

Originally posted by tracteurgarcon View Post
                              For any Ipswich fans born after February 1974 it looks like the answer could well be Ivan Campo, which is pretty cool.
                              Was just checking for my better half. Campo gets overtaken by Carlos Edwards, then Stephen Hunt, and the final player to be older than her is Jonathan Douglas. Not a club hero by any means, but still a cut above most of the current squad.
                              Last edited by Kevin S; 28-06-2020, 19:31.

Comment

I've just read your previous post, Kevin S – that's a brilliant one, as I was the same in many ways. When Hoolahoop and Grant Holt were barnstorming for Norwich it was the last time I really felt like a kid again while witnessing my football team's doings. Unfortunately they're both a little younger than me, but on the other hand I'm still proud that 'my' player in this thread seems to be Adam Drury, who was also a great servant of the club.

Comment

Danny Coyne was listed as a player coach but never played a game for Shrewsbury. Otherwise there were a handful of players older than me in the 2009-10 squad, including Jamie Cureton!

Comment

Gudni Bergsson carried on at Bolton til he was 38, but that was sadly in the early 2000s.

Comment

I keep thinking there must have been one at WBA since Bob Taylor's last game in 2003, but it seems there hasn't been. Kevin Campbell had been around forever when we signed him in 2005, but is a few months younger than me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                        Not a club hero by any means, but still a cut above most of the current squad.
                                        In fairness, I'm a cut above most of the current Ipswich squad.

Comment

For Liverpool it was Sami Hyypia who played a bit during 2009-10 season at 35, when I was a mere 33.

At Dundalk it's Wayne Hatswell, who was 36 when playing in 2011. I think the only other player older than me to play for the club since we were promoted in 2008 is Dave Rogers, who was famously sacked for mooning the opposition
                                          https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009...ndalk_rogersd/

Comment

Probably Tony Grealish, although he was only 34 when he left us.

Comment

For Charlton, it's Christian Dailly dating to the '10-11 season.

Comment

I couldn't tell you with regard to Bristol City, but if I count St. Pauli - I had a season ticket for a few years - then it's Andre Trulsen, who turned out for them at the age of 40 when I was a mere 38.

Comment

Originally posted by JM Footzee View Post
                                                  Same, although I slip under the line with Adrian Mariappa too, who'd have been in my year at school.

The last player we signed that's older than me was Foster in summer 2018. Prior to that, another goalkeeper, Orestis Karnezis, in August 2017. Outfield it would be Mauro Zarate in January 2017 then and Mariappa in August 2016.
                                                  Just happened across this looking for something else. Hello to summer loan signing Glenn Murray, born 1983!

Mariappa, Gomes and Holebas are now all gone, leaving Foster as the only permanent player older than me.

Comment

John Burridge made 3 appearances for Aberdeen in 1994 when he was 43. I was only 31 at the time. Just checked his wiki page to confirm his age to find that he had signed for 33 clubs in his career. Although to be fair, after he left Hibs (his 12th club) in 1993, he didn’t play more than 6 games for any of the 21 clubs that he signed and for many of these clubs he never actually played at all for.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X