Europa Conference League and League Cup question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Europa Conference League and League Cup question

2020-21, if it gets going, will be the first that qualifies teams into the new Europa Conference League, that starts in 2021-22. Looking at the prospective criteria, it would seem that for England, our top 4 will as now qualify for the Champions League, our FA Cup winners plus "5th place" go into the 21-22 Europa League, and our "6th place" go into the new ECL.

Assuming we're still going to offer a European place to the League Cup winners, does anyone know which place they take? Are they deemed to be 5th - Europa League - or 6th - ECL, in the event they aren't in the top 4?

I believe that decision is the FA's (subject to UEFA approval that is normally a formality) and has yet to be made

Comment

Glendenning says the League Cup winners go into the new ECL but I'm not sure of his source.

It will be left to national associations to decide the criteria for earning a place, with England, Spain, France, Italy and Germany getting one each. England’s will go to the winners of next season’s Carabao Cup, but if that team end up qualifying for Europe by other means, as Manchester City did last season, the recipients of the Europa Conference League will be determined by league position.
      https://www.theguardian.com/football...big-fish-happy

It could be a sneaky way for the BRC to demote the League Cup winner below EPL6 in the event of a non-BRC winning the League Cup.

The one bit of good news for them is that they'd play fewer qualifiers than, say, Burnley had to do. They'd enter at the play-off round rather than 2nd qualifying round so would have one tie not three to negotiate. And I assume the opposition would be weaker.
      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 20-06-2020, 13:06.

Comment

What I see happening at some point in the future:

- The big clubs going off and starting their own closed shop competition, the European Super League, for want of a better name.
        - Regardless of where teams finish, the two highest placed Premier League sides who aren’t in the closed shop competition will enter the Europa League.
        - The next two highest ranked teams in this Conference.

Comment

Working...
        X