Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting Photographs & Videos

Magicien wrote:
    David Bowie was supposed to do a gig at old Lechia Gdansk stadium in 1997 for Gdansk/Danzig 1000th anniversary. The gig was called off as only bit over 100 tickets were sold. Unbelievable but true.
    WTF? Were the tickets all monstrously overpriced or something?

Even at his lowest points Bowie could sell out large venues. He did a secret gig at the Olympia in Dublin (capacity 1,200) in 1997 and the queues stretched around the block.

Comment

Gary Lineker's car when he was at Leicester City.

Comment

dalliance wrote: His daughter is fascinated in finding out if the actual article is available anywhere.
        Which daughter?

Comment

Hristo Stoichkov (who is 50 years old today, fact fiends) doing his national service in the Bulgarian army circa 1986.

Comment

I'd never before thought of Stoichkov as handsome, but, wow.

Loving this photo of Fellberg Stadion, home of second tier East German outfit Motor Steinach in 1963. A bigger version of the image is here.

Comment

[quote]Green Calx wrote:
              Originally posted by Magicien

Overpriced yes, plus Polska was all grunge, Metallica and the like back then. Silly I know but that how I recall it.

Comment

Keflavik vs Akranes in an Icelandic League game, 1964.

Comment

The V on the darker shirt is so wide it's almost a sailor-suit!

Comment

Yes indeed, it's practically into chevron territory. Another thing I like about that picture is that there's a certain balletic quality to it, albeit rather clumsy and graceless.

Somewhat more elegantly, here's Jairzinho in action for Marseille against Paris St Germain in 1975.

Comment

Furtho wrote: I'd never before thought of Stoichkov as handsome, but, wow.

Loving this photo of Fellberg Stadion, home of second tier East German outfit Motor Steinach in 1963. A bigger version of the image is here.

There's a highlights clip of Motor Steinach vs Motor Jena played at the same venue in 1964, here.

Comment

I was curious about that picture as I knew little about Motor Steinach and was wondering why they might attract what appears to be such a large crowd.

The town is tiny, just 4,000 people today and while there might have been a post-reunification drain to the west there's nothing to suggest it was ever a sizeable place. And the team was unremarkable too, mostly drifting between 2. and 3.Oberliga with just two top flight seasons in the mid 60s.

The club's successor, SV 08 Steinach, plays in the seventh tier of the German pyramid.

Comment

Green Calx wrote:
                          Originally posted by Magicien
                          David Bowie was supposed to do a gig at old Lechia Gdansk stadium in 1997 for Gdansk/Danzig 1000th anniversary. The gig was called off as only bit over 100 tickets were sold. Unbelievable but true.

Even at his lowest points Bowie could sell out large venues. He did a secret gig at the Olympia in Dublin (capacity 1,200) in 1997 and the queues stretched around the block.
                          That whole Earthling tour appears to be secret/underplay shows or B/C list festivals though. Nothing really big, at least in Europe (though the US largely seems limited to theatres too), it's probably at least partly a tactical move but shows they weren't that sure of his potential sales.

It's probably not surprising that a stadium show out side of one of Poland's really major cities might have been a bit ambitious, though I also wouldn't be surprised if they'd gone mad with ticket prices.

Comment

Can't figure out the reason for this, but Luxembourg produced a rather attractive football-related first day cover in 1952. Click on the image for a larger version.

Comment

Luxembourg beat Great Britain in the football at the Olympics a month earlier, so it might be something to do with that.

Comment

Green Calx wrote: An Atlético Madrid player performs some impromptu plastic surgery on Emilio Butragueño in the Madrid derby, some time in the late 1980s.

The caption says it's Tomás Reñones, but it looks fuck all like him.

Looks like Phil Cool mid-gurn into Pope John Paul II

Comment

Scoreboard at Legia Warsaw vs Milan, ECWC, 1972. Larger version is here.

Comment

Bixente Lizarazu some time in 1996, preparing for the European Championship with France. Nice jersey - shame about the team, a shower of incredibly boring bastards.

Comment

Love the colour intensity of this shot of Ajax and Panathnaikos ahead of the European Cup final, 1971. Click the image for a bigger version.

Comment

The top flight of Japan's non-league pyramid, the JFL, kicked off a new season on Sunday -- Mt Fuji here providing the backdrop for last-minute preparations at Azul Claro Numazu vs Briobecca Urayasu. Click the image for a bigger version.

Comment

There were a lot of great photos taken in and around that 1971 European Cup Final. Many more than I've seen for either of Ajax's other 70s finals.

Comment

I'd completely forgotten about Panathinaikos' shirts in that game. They're absolutely amazing.

Comment

Makeshift floodlight at Roker Park, 1952. Click the image for a bigger version.

Comment

Love the 'usherette' flogging stuff to people so packed in they couldn't possibly move, let alone pop down for some fags/a macaroon bar.

I guess it relied on people passing money down/stuff back? (Full employment eh? You could leave your front door open...)

I do remember at the Bökelberg in the late 70s, chaps coming round with ice-creams, but it wasn't quite that packed there, and they stayed on the walkways. One embarrassing occasion, my Dad's mate Taff who had driven me and a pal to the game asked 'Do you want an ice cream?' and I said yes, assuming he was paying...

Comment

Finally found a photograph of the Don of football squad photography, Henk Blansjaar:

Comment

I tweeted one of his shots of Tottenham's squad in 1961 posing on and around a stepladder.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X