Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just want someone to talk to me. Possibly about goalkeeping.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just want someone to talk to me. Possibly about goalkeeping.

Ive had enough and thinking of ending it. Please help me feel better

Please PM me is that is how you feel, seriously. Or talk on here if you prefer.

(if it's about Derby losing then ... sorry, can't help much).

Comment

Originally posted by The-Reverend View Post
      Talk to us, mate. We're here for you.

Comment

Indeed we are. 24/7, by PM or email, too.

Don't do anything you can't undo.

Comment

Goalkeeping then. You ever heard about Leigh Richmond Rhoose? Proper card he was.

Comment

Used to play just for "expenses". His expenses included his use of the facilities at Paddington Station.

Comment

They changed the rules to limit keeper handling to just in the penalty box because he used to take the piss and bounce it up to the halfway line.

Comment

There's a book about him called "Lost in France" but there will be stuff on Google too

Comment

Who's your favourite current keeper, Rev?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Goalkeeping then. You ever heard about Leigh Richmond Rhoose? Proper card he was.

He was from my mum's home village.

Comment

His biog is very entertaining.

Comment

I was at a Chelsea Pitch Owners meeting at Stamford Bridge a few years ago. There was an old boy there who I presumed was a fellow fan. I was gazing at the pitch when he came up to my side. I said that it looked in good shape and he said, yes, a lot better than when he used to play on it. Turns out he was our goalkeeper when we won our first league title in 1955. Chic Thomson. Lovely modest guy.

He played for Forest too. Sorry Rev.

Comment

I saw Colin Boulton outside the Baseball Ground once.

My friend recognised him and I think 1-2 other fans called his name.
                          He seemed surprisingly short for a keeper, looked extraordinarily ordinary and walked with a limp.
                          That's all I can tell you about a man who won two League titles in less than 5 years.

Comment

I can give you some more Derby anecdotes c/o my pal, if that's what floats your boat...

Comment

I played in goal a few times in adult rec leagues, usually when the expected keeper was absent. I was fairly bad, but since I'm nearly 6 foot and was moderately willing, that pretty much made me second choice for a time.

I remember a few goals I gave up almost in crystal clarity, or at least as well as rec league goals I've scored, and some of those are more than 15 years ago now.

The one that pops into my head most often is when an opposition player broke the trap in the left side of our defense, cut inside and shot near post.

I knew where he was, I knew the shot was coming, I had the post in good position, and went immediately to the ground. And he still scored. I honestly have no idea how the ball went past me.

At any rate, I imagine that's probably what high level keepers feel sometimes, just a certain hopeless 'how did that fucking happen?' and no rewatching of film or breaking down of technique will change that opinion.

So, goalkeepers, inherent existentialists?

Also, reach out, tell us your keeping experiences, call a friend, play some boardgames etc. Cheesy, but true, find a show with many seasons to watch. Play some dungeons and dragons. Watch goofy but good YouTubers (two set violin anyone?).

Comment

I've been to exactly two football games in my life; both Toronto FC. But I was there when Toronto scored its first MLS goal. It was Danny Dichio in the 24th minute of play against the Chicago Fire. And the place went mad.

That night, it was promotional seat cushion night, and we all got these 18" foam seat cushions sponsored by...well...who knows who sponsored them. Anyway, they were round, see, and looked for all the world like a great big Frisbee. So when Dichio scored the goal, almost everyone in the place flung their Frisbee-like seat cushion down on the field.

The game ground to a halt for probably 15 minutes while the grounds crew walked around like loons cleaning up the seat cushions. They rained down virtually non-stop the whole time. It was mayhem.

My point here was to talk about goalkeeping, but I know fuck all about football, so you'll have to be happy with a tangentially-about-goalkeeping anecdote from someone with good intentions but shallow game knowledge.

If I can remember another goalkeeping anecdote that tops that one, I'll be back. Otherwise, they'll mostly be about motorbikes.

Comment

This whole Football forum...is it new?

Comment

Short goalkeepers: here's one of the best, helping Derby beat Man Utd - at 12:40 see Les Green save and Dave Mackay applaud.

Comment

I only ever played in goal in 5-a-side games.

On one occasion the opposition played a neat through ball to their striker. My covering defender, let's call him Paul Tanner, had the explosive sprinting ability of a semi-detached house and got beaten to the ball despite a 5-yard head start in a 10-yard race.

So the striker smashes a shot right into my gonads, though I managed to get a bit of a hand to it. After I'd made a partial recovery and the pain had begun to subside I rolled the ball out. But hang on - my hand looked odd. The top joint of the little finger on my right hand had been dislocated and was now an absolutely perfect L-shape.

Off to Accident and Emergency I went.

Comment

Colin Boulton? Got to talk to him numerous times when he played for Tulsa Roughnecks. Loads of ex-Derby there. Roger Davies, Alan Hinton, Billy Caskey, Victor Moreland off the top of my head.

Played goal for the OU Soccer Club when our regular keeper broke his collar bone. No one else wanted the job. Highlight was a friendly match v. OKC Slickers of the old ASL. They were looking at possibly signing a couple of our players and it was by far the best opposition we'd ever played. They beat us something like 7 or 8-0. Highlight for me was saving a penalty from Jimmy Husband. Don't remember Phil Parkes, the keeper on the other end, having to even make a save.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                          Short goalkeepers: here's one of the best, helping Derby beat Man Utd - at 12:40 see Les Green save and Dave Mackay applaud.

The weird thing, is that playing with most of yjr ex-rams allstars, [rob why I feel such a cunt now.

Rog Davies ia an absolute legend btw

Comment

Still here if u need to talk.

Comment

I also remember listening to Davies do commentary for Derby matches in the late 90s/early 2000s via RealPlayer when I lived in Alaska.

Moreland and Caskey were roughneck mainstays. Caskey was my favorite- short on skill, but loads of guts and dove into everything.

Winston DuBose was our keeper when we somehow won the 83 Soccer Bowl. He wasn’t spectacular, but very steady. Sweatpants and AstroTurf.

Comment

Rev, give us some Derby & (Chesterfield?) & goalkeeper stories!

Comment

Rev, stick around please.

I can’t help much goalkeeping-wise; I was bad and knew it. A near post nightmare. But our over-35s goalie was fantastic, best player in the team. Taught me how to aim a shot on goal.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X