In Salford's shadow: Div 4 2019/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tee rex View Post

Exeter... but fortunately we've never been one of those "sleeping giants" that attract the con artists. Obscurity and mediocrity have their advantages.
    *cough* Uri Geller *cough* Michael Jackson

Comment

An embarrassing day, sure, but neither had anything to do with the club before or since, and probably forgot who we were as soon as they left the ground, so about as meaningful as David Cameron's support for Hammy Villa. Not exactly an Oyston deal.

Comment

Maamria has made way. For Mark Sampson no less.

Stevenage got a limp 0-0 at ours last month that we should have won. They were distinctly lacklustre, which is a surprise given they were being well tipped at the start of the season.

Comment

3 days in to Sampson's reign at Stevenage:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49672456

Comment

Bloody hell, Scunthorpe won at the weekend, first league victory since March 12.

Now we have two games against fellow strugglers, home to Oldham and away to Walsall. So, a chance to pull clear of the relegation place and towards respectability. Or to suffer two desperate defeats leaving us stranded at the bottom.

Comment

An embarrassing day, sure, but neither had anything to do with the club before or since, and probably forgot who we were as soon as they left the ground, so about as meaningful as David Cameron's support for Hammy Villa. Not exactly an Oyston deal.
              Are you sure? I thought Uri Geller was a director, or at least on the board. I interviewed James Coppinger at the back end of last season and he gave the impression Geller was quite active, particularly in encouraging Coppinger to stay for another season, and used to call him regularly.

Comment

Co-chairman at the time of the Jackson stunt, per the Grauniad

Not currently on the board, per the club website

Comment

Not currently, as in "Tony Blair is not currently the UK PM".

I joined the Supporters Trust in 2001. The Trust took over the club in 2003. The previous owners (who arranged the Geller/Jackson visit) were later convicted. Uri Geller is the world's least reliable source, not least on matters relating to Uri Geller.

For goodness' sake, I know we're an obscure outpost, but 15+ years of the Trust ownership and its achievements deserve a bit more recognition than a bloody charlatan who gave the club less dosh than my monthly subscription.

Comment

Salford not leaving much of a shadow so far.

Comment

Not currently, as in "Tony Blair is not currently the UK PM".

I joined the Supporters Trust in 2001. The Trust took over the club in 2003. The previous owners (who arranged the Geller/Jackson visit) were later convicted. Uri Geller is the world's least reliable source, not least on matters relating to Uri Geller.

For goodness' sake, I know we're an obscure outpost, but 15+ years of the Trust ownership and its achievements deserve a bit more recognition than a bloody charlatan who gave the club less dosh than my monthly subscription.
                      I neither suggested that he was on the board now, or had been since 2003. I was just suggesting that his involvement extended beyond a one day visit, given he would regularly contact one of the club's players at the time – as told to me by the player himself, rather than Geller.

Comment

Sure, Geller loves starfucking. Entirely in character. But irrelevant to the ownership of the club. Coppinger was a terrific player for us, but left soon after the Trust takeover.

As I suggested on the previous page, if Geller/Jackson/Dodgy McDruglord/whoever had taken over, promised a shiny new stadium and Premier League status in 5 years, many Exeter fans would have been seduced by that just like at countless other clubs, and it would have ended in tears. As a Doncaster fan you know the story all too well.

But ... they didn't. A celeb fake fan is not an owner - which Geller never came close to being.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                          Salford not leaving much of a shadow so far.
                          They weren't very good on Saturday either, by all accounts.

I put it down to two things - 1. They didn't spend as much as everyone thought they would in the summer, and 2. Graham Alexander is a shite manager.

Comment

Following the approach from Lincoln City Michael Flynn has pledged his future to Newport County, albeit in a "I'm at the bus stop but the last bus wasn't quite going in the direction I want" kind of way.

No doubt another will be along shortly.

Comment

After completely outplaying Bradford last night Cheltenham have moved up to 3rd in the League.

I feel a nosebleed coming on.

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post
                                Following the approach from Lincoln City Michael Flynn has pledged his future to Newport County, albeit in a "I'm at the bus stop but the last bus wasn't quite going in the direction I want" kind of way.

He comes across well and seems like a decent guy who has a career plan. Enjoy him while you can.

Comment

I’ve not seen an Orient game yet this season (and wont ‘til November), but reports suggests we are struggling a fair bit after the step up. Probably not bad enough to worry unduly about the single relegation place, but 9 points from 9 games isn’t anything to get excited about.

Comment

0-0 draw with Forest Green last night, nice to have a clean sheet at home but we created very little. Not much action all round, and the evening's entertainment highlights were 1) the ref giving one of theirs a second yellow, having evidently forgotten he'd given the first until he wrote it down in the book and called him back and 2) my mate managing to break his seat of many years as he got up to leave - given the lack of maintenance work around the ground he's decided to smuggle some duct tape into the next home game to fix it himself.

Comment

We're exactly where we were at this stage 2 years ago. Top, unbeaten, waiting for the dream to end. Which it did.

So far neither the teams coming up or down have been as strong as expected. Which leaves room at the top, and not only for us.

Newport v Exeter is next up: battle of the managers getting "linked" to various vacancies, on every slow news day.

Comment

Losing 0-3 at home, why worry about a late "consolation goal"? Because it keeps us top, somewhat absurdly. "Table-topping Club X" is a pithier media phrase than "currently occupying an automatic promotion place", so we'll take it - and evidently there wasn't much else to take today.

Except Salford getting thumped.

Comment

I'm finding the division a tough watch this year, with your lot being a fair step ahead of anyone else I've seen (though I've missed a couple of home games and not been away yet, so it's a small sample admittedly). Today Carlisle won 1-0 (goal after two minutes) and still got booed off at half time, after 43 minutes of cautious play, pissing about and giving the ball away. Oldham were even worse, with both sides devoid of any flair or stand out players. Feels like standards are on the decline with each passing year, but that could also be due to the cautious approach being taken by many teams stifling what creativity they have available.

Comment

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Reports from various sources following yesterday's 2-0 win at Swindon describe Newport as a team of "six foot gorillas", "gritty League Two fighters". Even Swindon's manager couldn't resist having a dig at how his boys were dragged down to our level.

It's weird. I read these types of remarks every week so there must be something in them, yet all I see is a very likeable bunch of lads who are ace at defending, and good at nicking occasional goals.

Comment

Should be a cracker at Whaddon Road in two weeks time.

Another feast of football there yesterday in a 1-1 draw with Crewe. I honestly don't think I've seen a bad game this season - the fact Cheltenham aren't losing may be the main reason for that though.

Comment

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Reports from various sources following yesterday's 2-0 win at Swindon describe Newport as a team of "six foot gorillas", "gritty League Two fighters". Even Swindon's manager couldn't resist having a dig at how his boys were dragged down to our level.

It's weird. I read these types of remarks every week so there must be something in them, yet all I see is a very likeable bunch of lads who are ace at defending, and good at nicking occasional goals.
                                                Think that's part of my point really - we're used to the division being a mix of physical teams and those that try and play, and it can be a toss up which is most effective. What we're seeing at Carlisle - and in several of our opponents so far this season - is neither one nor the other. Carlisle try and play it out of the back, and credit to them for trying to do so, but they have little idea what they are going to do once they cross the halfway line. There is neither the option to give it to a flair playmaker to see what he can do, nor bang it into the box for a big 'un to get on the end of - just a lot of short passing until eventually the odds expire and we give it away, usually in what quickly turns into a dangerous position.

Anyway we're at your place next week (I won't be making the trip, but need to get there one day as its a tick) and anything could happen away when we're away from home. We'll certainly struggle with an ace defence, and our own can easily buckle under pressure.

Comment

It's taken two weeks for me to notice it, but that's a brilliant description.

Comment

I've been patiently waiting for somebody else to bump this thread, so as not to appear over-keen to gloat. But my fingers are all drummed out. And we've waited 90 years already.

Won't happen again in my lifetime. Not entirely sure it's happened now.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X