No announcement yet.

National teams you've seen live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I too wish to bow and scrape to SB and the work that went into this. I hope that the dataset can be updated )easily) as new people contribute

Comment

We need to get BB+F to the thread, surely he's enjoyed a trains and cheese tour of central Africa at some stage...

Comment

Excellent work by SB, there.

Comment

if Jonathan Wilson were a member here, then the list would lengthen, I reckon,

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
            It's not my fault that nobody had mentioned them yet...
            Nope. Absolutely isn't. And after that map you will be blamed for nothing again, ever, SB

J'Accuse THIS guy! ...

Originally posted by jameswba View Post
            I've seen Slovakia face 23 different sides, with Ukraine and Hungary the most recent additions...
            Not only did he e-mail me on Sunday to tell me about this thread, knowing full well I'd be thinking about nothing else for the next year, but I'm pretty damn sure one of his 23 v Slovakia was Armenia at Zilina.

Confess!

Comment

At Euro '96

England
              Holland
              Germany
              Russia
              Czech. Republic
              Denmark
              Portugal
              Croatia

WC Qualifier '97

England
              Sweden

Friendly at Portman Road

England
              Croatia

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post

Was that the quarter final in Amsterdam, dm? If so, me and Mrs Trl were at that one too.
                It was, yes. I took a pal from the Leicester London supporters' group. He confessed he thought I was winding him up right till I put the tickets in his hand.

And I really felt the sense of occasion around a major international QF. We were neutrals (well, Turkey-inclined neutrals due to the squad presence of M. Izzet), in a section of neutrals, but you could really sense it was a Big Deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Stobart View Post
                  ... The other one was (I think) against Romania in the mid to late 70's. I can't recall anything at all about the game itself, not even the score. But memories of The Wombles going round the track at half-time on a float 'singing' Underground Overground, and being drowned out by 'you're going to get your fucking heads kicked in' will stay forever clear in my mind...
                  Ah, the cuddly Tartan Army ...

Yup, as Sporting says, we drew 1-1 with Romania in the Euro qualifiers on 17 Dec 1975 - only time we played them at home in the 70s. Bruce Rioch scored in front of 11,375.

Or - in case the Wombles thing is a twisted dream memory - we did beat Uncle Bulgaria 2-1 at Hampden in February 1978.

Comment

Just the two: Argentina vs USSR, Old Trafford 1991. That footage is dogshit quality, so here also is some of Argentina training for't game.

Comment

Updated. Included is PT's Wales v Armenia. I'm sure he's been to more games than that, but that's the only one he's admitted to. I've kind of worked my way through Sam's "All of CONMEBOL", and found myself surprised that Guyana and Suriname aren't in South America.

That means we've added Armenia from PT, Venezuela from Sam, and Angola from Merlin. Kosovo still seems to be missing from UEFA, but I'm happy about that as it's not in my source map.

Top two remain unchanged, but we now have a tie for third - England (31), Scotland (22), Brazil (21), Argentina (21)

Added - former countries as outlines. Not included - GB, because my guess is that that's Olympics and therefore Under-23 and eliminated by my lazy criterion of only putting senior men's games in.

(Edit: I've no idea why the Czechoslovak number came out blue rather than green - right click to open in new tab if you want to see it at "full" uploaded 2700x1350 size)

Last edited by San Bernardhinault; 27-03-2019, 16:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post

Not only did he e-mail me on Sunday to tell me about this thread, knowing full well I'd be thinking about nothing else for the next year, but I'm pretty damn sure one of his 23 v Slovakia was Armenia at Zilina.

Confess!
                        No way out, is there? Yes, Sept 2011, Slovakia 0 Armenia 4 in Zilina. If I'd just made a simple list like normal people, SB wouldn't have these problems.

Comment

SB, I edited mine to include Cuba, if we're still missing that.

Comment

Nobody new. Full men’s teams:

Japan
                            Latvia
                            Nigeria
                            Sweden

Men’s Olympic teams:

Honduras
                            Japan

Comment

Just bitterness on my part, Jameswba - the day I finally see Armenia I'll be getting a tattoo across the forehead boasting about the fact.

It's me who needs to do the confessing: My attitude is sick. While we can all agree SB's posts are the best, I'm seeing ColchesterSid as "winning" this thread. And it gets darker...

All I'm seeing now are all the teams I haven't seen, which you lot have breathed the same air as.

If Scotland draw the Faroes, Lithuania or San Marino in one more qualifying campaign I will shit. And not just because it's usually one of them who ultimately cost us third spot - but because every time we get them it means we're still not getting Azerbaijan, Andorra or fekin Armenia!

I never saw the USSR, Czechoslovakia or East Germany and now I'm pretty sure I'm gonnae be dead before Scotland ever draw one of my missing, extant "UEFA ten" (You'll not be laughing when it's, like, a hashtag and stuff):

Andorra
                              Armenia
                              Azerbaijan
                              Cyprus*
                              Kazakhstan**
                              Kosovo
                              Luxembourg
                              Moldova
                              Montenegro
                              Switzerland

And Brazil. And the Egypt and Belarus Olympic teams, to make up for that traffic warden, and me forgetting the match tickets at Hampden in 2012 (there was less than 9,000 folk there, man - and I left my fu**ing tickets in the house ... and Mo Salah scored! ... and then there was the tonsillitis thing with Switzerland in March 2008 and my mate having his stag do the same weekend Moldova were at Hampden - and not including the Moldova game IN the stag do ... I mean, every Scotland game on a Saturday is worse than a fu**ing stag do anyway!!).

Final insult: Today, as I'm reading all this, I get my Special Delivery envelope from the guid auld SFA: All five tickets. Ordered them a month back. Can't enjoy them because the campaign's already dead (the postman was laughing at me - he knew what was in that envelope). Can't enjoy finally seeing *Cyprus because that'll leave Luxembourg as the only EU national team I haven't seen so far and that'll remind me of Brexit. Can't enjoy finally seeing **Kazakhstan because Scotland have already managed to turn them into a byword for All Time Low. And can't enjoy seeing San Marino because ... well, once is enough.

I demand a rule change:

Any more than two live San Marinos should count as a Brazil - and any two Baltic states with a Faroes should give you a retrospective DDR ...

And any more than one live sighting of the Scotland national team should give everyone in the Faroes, San Marino, Vilnius, Riga and the rest of the planet absolutely anything they so desire. They've earned it.
                              Last edited by Alex Anderson; 28-03-2019, 08:31. Reason: Original version was twice this length, citing every poster who had seen a handful of international teams - sometimes just two - but had still bagged one I hadn't seen. It was properly bitter. Toxic.

Comment

I've seen over 30 European countries live but I've never seen Scotland, I've missed the 5 or 6 times that Ireland have played them in the last 40 years.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                  I've seen over 30 European countries live but I've never seen Scotland ...
                                  Okay, people are just showing off now ...

Comment

I wonder how many different venues we've seen these countries in.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                      I've seen over 30 European countries live but I've never seen Scotland, I've missed the 5 or 6 times that Ireland have played them in the last 40 years.
                                      I'm only on 26 but I've never seen Scotland or ROI.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post
                                        Reason:
                                        Original version was twice this length, citing every poster who had seen a handful of international teams - sometimes just two - but had still bagged one I hadn't seen. It was properly bitter. Toxic.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                          I wonder how many different venues we've seen these countries in.
                                          Go on then, start the thread...

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post

I love the photobombing dog.

Comment

Security detail

Comment

England
                                                Republic of Ireland
                                                Wales
                                                Hungary
                                                northern Ireland
                                                Romania
                                                South Korea
                                                Bolivia
                                                Norway
                                                Spain
                                                Bulgaria
                                                Italy
                                                Russia
                                                Netherlands
                                                Switzerland
                                                Paraguay
                                                Cameroon
                                                Tunisia
                                                Colombia
                                                Germany
                                                Mexico
                                                Iran
                                                Nigeria
                                                France
                                                Czech Republic
                                                Sweden
                                                Finland

Comment

For the sake of the map one of my fellow Irish is going to have to put their hand up for attending one of the Oman friendlies....

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post

Admin!

There will be consequences for this. I'm not above a cyber Bull-ying joke, you know.

And it's the sickest form of stalking ever ... by a NT who continually visit my country when I'm not in. It's always the ones who talk loudest about neutrality ...

(Is there a thread for an opposition national team you've missed most often when it visits your country of residence? Although it looks like elguapo4 has won that already with - just to continue the "sick joke" theme - Scotland)
                                                    Last edited by Alex Anderson; 28-03-2019, 18:21. Reason: Andy Murray's first Wimbledon final just twisted the knife ... and that knife had many, many blades and utensils and stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X