Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some pictures what I drew (redux)

Magnificent work as ever.

I am a tireless proselytiser and evangelist for Dave's work, but Newcastle fans I send them to aren't (yet) responding appreciatively, the charmless fuckers.

Comment

Fantastic work this week again

Comment

Thanks folks. Last one of the season next week, but I've just signed up to do it again next season, including the European Championships. The words of support on here have helped me through a few crises of confidence this season, so I am genuinely appreciative.

Harry, you can sue me, but I haven't got much to take beyond a few old Swindon programmes and some faded football shirts that last fit properly in 1993.

Comment

Fantastic news about next season and the Euros. I picked up a print edition of the paper last week and noticed it was in there too, how long has that been going on?

Comment

Aye, great news that the Graun has commissioned more.

And BDG, if a few witless internet trolls are saying rude things about your splendid work, you should wear that as a badge of honour.

Comment

Great news on the contract extension, BDG - it's a weekly highlight for all of us on here, I'm certain.

Comment

What has been striking about this series is how positive the comments have been below the line. That's an achievement in itself, I reckon. The comments sections on the football section of the Guardian can be savage, at times.

Comment

Startled Sepp may be one of my favourite cartoon characters ever.

How are you finding the weekly nature of it BDG? There's an awful lot of thought squeezed into every frame. Are you getting into the swing of it?

Comment

[The ghost of Spearmint Rhino]
                    And is The Graun actually paying you?
                    [/The ghost of Spearmint Rhino]

Comment

Keep up the great work Dave, well done on next season.

a few instalments back, but I was beside myself laughing at Alex James saying "cheese". Brilliant.

Comment

Thanks again gents. Yes, GO/Spirit of Spearmint, they're paying me. They've been great, as it goes; let me do whatever I want and been patient while I find my feet.

The weekly nature of it is a test at times, especially when there's not much going on, but there have only been a few times where I've been watching the deadline close in as I stare at a blank sheet of paper.

The comments thing isn't fun, but I resolved immediately to never read them. Some of the more savage stuff gets back to me, but I gather it's generally positive. But also, I'm alright with the fact you can't please everyone. I put everything I can into them, so if they don't meet people's expectations, then it's not through a lack of effort on my part.

That said, I'm also aware of the contradiction in that I am drawing cartoons that mock the efforts of other people trying their best, which is why I prefer to take aim at attitudes or people like Blatter. However, I'll often just follow the path I think will lead to a laugh.

Oh, and Harry, I think they've been in the print edition from the start, usually on a Friday.

Comment

Great news on the renewal.
                          It's a highlight of the week getting stuck into one of these.

Comment

In fairness BDG, for every negative comment there are at least 10 positive ones and often more, which is fucking extraordinary in this age. I've been watching them, and it's the same four or five people saying "this isn't funny." and every week different people tell them to get their piles seen to.

Comment

The strongest finish to a glorious season since that night in barcelona. Brilliant stuff.

Comment

Was just going to post it up, what a way to bow out for the season! A work of staggering genius, he had me at Akinfenwa.

It's impossible not to sing along.

Comment

And in my now customary "I didn't get this bit" section ;

"Keano's got a new hard back"?

Comment

"Since the world it has been turning..."

It's the little touches.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote: And in my now customary "I didn't get this bit" section ;

Roy Keane brought another autobiog out earlier in the season.

Comment

His second book?

Brilliant stuff, BDG. Absolutely tremendous.

Comment

Whereas I didn't get the Steve Evans Flip Flops bit. Funny how someone on the other side of the world knows more about football over here that we do...

Comment

Rosenthal's hiss, Hucknall's neckbeard - glorious stuff.

Comment

meanwhile Van gaal is off to get drunk in the sun in Portugal. Check out his choice of airline.

'All the players have to fly out to international duties but I will go on holidays and I’m willing to go to my paradise in Portugal.'
                                              Asked if the transfer business would be left to Woodward, Van Gaal added: 'No, not to Ed because you also have a telephone and computer, so we are always in contact.
                                              'As a manager, you never have holidays but I am in a better climate than here in Manchester. I am sorry to say that.'

Comment

Marvellous stuff BDG.

Comment

Oh, it's "hardback", duh!

Comment

That photo just shows how well you captured LvG in that last strip Dave.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X