Iraq vs Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iraq vs Australia

Iraq reversed last week's result in Brisbane by winning 1-0 in Dubai on Saturday (or Sunday, depending on what time zone you are in..)

Pim Verbeek gave a first cap to 29 year old Colchester defender Chris Coyne in an effort to stiffen Australia's shaky defence. But veteran keeper Mark Schwarzer misjudged the flight of a cross-cum-shot and let the ball drop behind him for Iraq's goal.

Qatar won 1-0 in China in the group's other match, leaving the "sleeping giants" bottom; they have only scored one goal in four matches. Australia still top the group on goal difference from Qatar.... these two clash in Qatar next week.

Iraq vs Australia

These qualifiers are throwing up more than the usual share of surprises.

Japan just don't seem to travel very well. Having lost in Bahrain, they were only able to draw in Oman.

Comment

Iraq vs Australia

Qatar are the Chelsea of Asian football, with a noticable South American contingent of "naturalised" Qataries.

Iraq are a good side.

I don't think is over yet. Australia stuffed Qatar at home but the conditions are different. Iraq pushed them all the way in Brisbane and China missed a last minute penalty at home which would have given the group a different look.

Comment

Iraq vs Australia

Iran edged a 1-0 win over the UAE and thanks to Kuwait's 4-2 victory over Syria, have managed the improbable feat of topping their group.

I still don't hold out much hope of a win for Team Melli in Syria next week, though. A draw, followed by a down-to-the-wire final brace of Group 5 games.

Comment

Iraq vs Australia

Was that 1-0 Iraq win the one with the amazing long range goal?

Comment

Iraq vs Australia

Yes... it didn't look like a shot to me; it looked like a speculative long ball into the goalmouth. It deceived everyone, and dipped over Schwarzer's head.

Comment

Working...
            X