No announcement yet.

2022: Nasty case of Qatar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italy decided to put their bid back to 2032 last month because they wanted more time to upgrade their infrastructure first. I can't say definitely about Spain (and Portugal - I think it would have been a joint bid), but they had been planning to bid on 2028 and the 2030 WC, so perhaps they've decided to go all in on 2030. I certainly read that it was considered a 'boost' to their 2030 bid when the UK/Ireland bid decided to focus on 2028 rather than 2030.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
      Can anyone tell me the reasons Italy and Spain aren't two potential hosts for Euro 2028 and haven't hosted the tournament at all since 1980 and 1964 respectively - when the format was very different?
      Iberia bidding for the 2030 WC.

Comment

One way of easing the host nation qualification conundrum!

https://twitter.com/NationCymru/status/1506556187113885697

Comment

Of course it's Syed. The old Unionists understood the whole tinpot nonsense of Union was bolstered by tolerating Celtic Fringe cultural nationalism (as a sideline to world exploitation), this lot are amazing.

Comment

I mean on one level he;s not wrong. But the actual conclusion of his argument should be that we have a world football XI that plays against nobody. (Which I could see as a positive contribution to anti-nationalism)

(also pedantically it's not just the UK, Denmark and the Faroes are one political entity)

Comment

TEV's epic Qatar thread is probably the longest running thread on OTF - could we take the 'Euro 28 future venue speculation' off to a thread of its own now, please?

Comment

I saw Syed's piece yesterday, it must have been a reeeeaaaalllllyyyy slow news day for him to be forced to pull that one out of his junk folder. I suspect he might have suffered a blow to the head too.

Comment

Does the UK and Ireland's focus on 2028 rather than 2030 reflect their greater political power in UEFA than in FIFA? Logically based on time since last hosting the bids are the wrong way round.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                    TEV's epic Qatar thread is probably the longest running thread on OTF - could we take the 'Euro 28 future venue speculation' off to a thread of its own now, please?
                    Very strongly endorse

Perhaps Snake could move the posts when he has a chance

Comment

I'll start a spin-off thread on a related topic if it helps

Comment

https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1531657406517854209?s=21&t=0u_KhHW4DbrOEC7Y8lCJ3w

Comment

RAF support? Just how much trouble do they expect the England fans to start?

Comment

Wait til you see the memorandum of understanding they've signed with the Parisian gendarmerie.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                              Wait til you see the memorandum of understanding they've signed with the Parisian gendarmerie.
                              Or the SYP…

Comment

I suppose that with the completion of the 2022 World Cup, this long running thread comes to an end. It also marks the end of the The Exploding Voles last ever post. Farewell old friend, so sorry that life ended so early for you, I hope your family remain safe.

Exploding Vole, RIP.

Comment

Beautifully put, Paul S

Comment

Is it too soon to archive the tournament board?

Snake Plissken

Comment

Yes, probably too soon. The last post there was two minutes ago.

Comment

Very thoughtful post, Paul S. I don't know if I was always interested in what was posted to this thread but I always enjoyed seeing the thread come back because the thread maintained TEV's presence. Perhaps this one will come back from time to time. If the Grounds for Divorce thread can re-appear, this one can as well.

Comment

What a trigger - I only need to read the phrase 'the Grounds for Divorce thread', and I start to snicker.

We can keep this thread alive while following-up on migrant worker rights in Qatar, and anywhere else for that matter.

Comment

Yes, lovely sentiments Paul S

If it's any consolation, I remember TEV saying how much he enjoyed the Great Tits birdwatching thread (which I started under a different guise) and like to think that he takes pleasure when someone adds to it.

Comment

UAE chose not to go down the Qatar route for 2022 because of the stadia building issues but I wonder if they would now be thinking about bidding against the Saudis for the next one in Asia?

Comment

Great unsurprising developments of our time: Qatar in for Spurs?

Comment

I could almost have some sympathy for them having to negotiate with Daniel Levy.

Comment

FFS.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X