Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2022: Nasty case of Qatar

dalliance wrote:
    I think the Warner thing is a smokescreen designed to fool everyone. It would look too obviously like a vendetta if it was just aimed at Bin Hamann so prompt Blazer to name a close ally of Blatter too so it looks like an authentic charge.

Then sit back as Warner is exonerated and Bin Hamann is found guilty.
    Those were my thoughts exactly. Though it might be that Joseph has had enough of Jack, and has decided that he is his Fredo.

I'm hoping that the prediction of a FIFA-exec civil war proves accurate.

Comment

Warner isn't Fredo, not even close.

He'd have trouble making the bench at ManU, let alone score 21 goals.

Comment

More seriously - Dalliance's sums up my initial reaction pretty closely. Forget the Blazer v. Warner intrigue: why would Warner be organizing on Bin Hammam's behalf anyway, given how close he's always been to Blatter?

Comment

There really is no point getting all excited about this, it will all blow over after the election and the accusations will be quietly buried.

Nobody is innocent in all of this backroom under the table stuff and there are too many people involved with too much to lose.
          You have to remember that these are very rich and powerful men, many of whom harbour intentions of running for political office so do not want the stain of a FIFA probe in the public limelight on their character. I also think the major sponsors will be sitting nervously too.

Comment

This time I don't think so, TG. FIFA's under far more media scrutiny than ever before, and is finally facing the kind of rolling scandal that forced the IOC to reform. It's long overdue, and a publicly fought civil war can't be easily brushed under the carpet. Blazer chucking Warner under the bus is an astonishing development. Should be far more entertaining than your average World Cup.

Comment

What I can't imagine is MBH and Warner not having enough information and dirt to obliterate everyone else on the execo. FIFA is locked in a stand off with one side having already pulled the trigger. Alternatively, this will all be in true FIFA style swept away and all will be back to "normal". Odds of Warner losing his job?

Comment

Apparently darling Sepp's going to be included in the inquiry.

Comment

An enquiry they seem to think they can still complete without postponing the election.

Comment

So Blatter is being investigated at the instigation of MBH saying Blatter was aware of the payments? Is this an admission of how own guilt?

And why, oh why, did no FA have spine and nominate Grant Wahl for Fifa presidency? He'd probably walk it now - oh hang on, probably not. I'm sure being investigated for corruption doesn't exclude from standing or lose you much support.

Comment

There won't be an election now -- Bin Hammam has waved the white flag.

Imagine another ten years of that cunt Blatter. Havelange lasted till the age of 82, so he will probably want to surpass that mark.

Comment

Jack Warner is apparently so pissed off about having been hauled up on corruption charges that he is threatening to unleash a "tsunami" of damaging information about FIFA.

It'll never happen, but I'm giddy with excitement anyway.

Comment

Toto Gramsciddu wrote:
                          Jack Warner is apparently so pissed off about having been hauled up on corruption charges that he is threatening to unleash a "tsunami" of damaging information about FIFA.

It'll never happen, but I'm giddy with excitement anyway.
                          He'll just get paid off.

Comment

Well, he's cited an email he says is from Valcke saying that Qatar bought the WC for 2022, and also accuses Blatter of giving the Caribbean Football Union $1m in ex-gratia payments which weren't authorised, which Platini queried the legality of, to which Warner alleges Valcke just said that 'he'd find the money somewhere'.

When so many people are bent, this is how it unravels - no-one feels minded to take one for the team, so drags everyone else down with them.

Comment

The world's governing body of football as a parish council.

Comment

Valcke has confirmed the email is genuine.

But it's not exactly what you'd call hard evidence of corruption.

Comment

That email in full:

Dear Jack, lots of questions

Firstly I got also a very, very good feedback about the draw, its organization and the media coverage. It is great the FWC Final Draw is not the only one getting such attention but now all including the U-17. Football is really big.

For FICO, I perfectly understand your position about England. There is not a major point it is true to be discussed. I think MBH will try to attack us on various points but am prepared to answer. Nothing very new since Robben Island 2009 Exco!

For MBH, I never understood why he was running. If really he thought he had a chance or just being an extreme way to express much he does not like anymore JSB. Or he thought you can buy FIFA as they bought the WC.

I have a bet since day one, he will withdraw but on June 1st after his 10 min speech. By doing so he can say he push Blatter to make new commitments bla bla bla and get out under applause. Before means he is a loser. So … He will get some votes. Less than 60 today after CAF support. It will be the "coup de grace" if you would officially send a message as the CONCACAF President by saying CONCACAF supports unanimously.

So am not giving you advice but just feeing about what I think is the situation.

Finally just coming back to wives. You know Jack ruled are for the majority. Why? Because without a minority will always abuse! Some and a few members are given a special authorization to bring their partner at their coast and it is fine but we have a number of issues and that is why this regulation was decided a very long time ago before I was appointed for sure.

Talking about the before I was told and it is confirmed, Linsi went with MBH to visit a few MA's. Was maybe the ex-future SG. Also one agency, Sportfive, has being very supportive and organized for MBH meeting with MA's they have under contract.

Wow, just wake up, being in San Francisco for a few hours before flying at 1pm to Sao Paulo for the day. And am writing so much ).

Enjoy your day
                                  Jerome.
                                  If nothing else, it proves that bilingualism at FIFA has some way to go.

Comment

A sign of things to come for Sepp?

Comment

Toto Gramsciddu wrote:
                                      If nothing else, it proves that bilingualism at FIFA has some way to go.
                                      To say the least!

So this whole thing hinges on the reference to he thought you can buy FIFA as they bought the WC?

Comment

So far, yeah.

Sepp is supposed to have a press conference shortly, which should be amusing.

Comment

There's more coming.

Warner isn't going quietly, and if anyone other than Sepp knows where the bodies are, he does.

There's also a photo going around of the USD 40K in cash that one of the Caribbean associations got from Bin Hamman. I would be surprised if development aid is usually paid in stacks of 100 dollar bills.

Comment

That'd be this photo.

edit: bugger. It's on the graun's liveblog, anyway. You know it's a game-changing newsevent when the graun starts liveblogging.

Comment

So, Valcke has tried the old "what I meant was that they had used their financial advantage to get the bid" wheeze.

Which might actually be what he meant.

"Mr Warner has published an email which I sent to him. I'd like to clarify that I may use in an email – a "lighter" way of expression by nature - a much less formal tone than in any form of correspondence. Having said that, when I refer to the 2022 FIFA World Cup in that email, what I wanted to say is that the winning bid used their financial strength to lobby for support. They were a candidate with a very important budget and have used it to heavily promote their bid all around the world in a very efficient manner. I have at no time made, or was intending to make, any reference to any purchase of votes or similar unethical behaviour. I would also like to clarify that there is, as I said yesterday, no investigation open at FIFA regarding the 2022 FIFA World Cup host election."
                                              More on the brown envelope:

envelope with the name of the Bahamas FA on it.
                                              Inside the envelope was 40,000 US dollars in crisp, new 100-dollar bills - four packs each of 10,000 dollars.

For many officials from the Caribbean's smaller islands this would be the equivalent of several years' salary.

The date was May 10, the place the Hyatt Regency hotel in Trinidad where the members of the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) had been invited to a special meeting to listen to FIFA presidential candidate Mohamed Bin Hammam present his manifesto.

Afterwards, the 25 associations - whose flights and hotel costs for two officials each were being covered by Bin Hammam - were asked to attend a conference room to pick up "a gift", according to an affidavit sent to FIFA's ethics committee.

Fred Lunn, the vice-president of the Bahamas FA, was one of the first to go up to the room where he was handed a large brown envelope. When he opened it "stacks of US 100 fell out and on to the table. I was stunned to see this cash," he said in an affidavit which was presented to FIFA's ethics committee yesterday.

Lunn said he was not authorised to accept such a gift but was urged to do so by a CFU official. He decided to hold on to the money and contact his association's president Anton Sealey, which he did by text message.

Copies of these text messages were also sent to the ethics committee which yesterday suspended Bin Hammam and FIFA vice-president Jack Warner pending a full inquiry. CFU officials Debbie Minguell and Jason Sylvester have also been suspended.
                                              Sealey then called Lunn and told him "under no circumstances would the Bahamas FA accept such a cash gift" and that he should return the 40,000 dollars.

He texted Sealey saying "a lot of the boys taking the cash, this is sad given the breaking news on the TV CNN... I'm truly surprise its happening at this conference" [sic].

Comment

That's not especially implausible, what Valcke says. It's a common enough expression in football- lots of people will agree, for instance, that Chelsea 'bought' their last three league titles, without that implying that they were paying off officials, opposing players or administrators.

Comment

Blatter's press conference was described on the World Service this morning as "bizarre" and "surreal".

Comment

It's appalling that Blatter is able to run for the presidency unopposed. The fact that not one member of FIFA is proposing a vote of no confidence just makes me wonder how far down the corruption goes. The more that comes out, the more I'm getting the feeling that it will lead to FIFA dumping Qatar for the 2022 World Cup. They regretted voting for it almost as soon as they had done so, and will use any excuse to change the venue.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X