Scottish Football 2011-2012 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're in the crowd, basically. He might have to pose with the mascot or something.

Paudge Nevin has been adding a more restrained voice than most on the phone-in circuit. He wondered aloud whether the clamor is for Thomson to be, effectively, suspended from playing (professional) football as long as he remains on the sex offender register.

Comment

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/Hearts-suspend-sex-shame-star.6792460.jp

Edinburgh Evening News report on the suspension, no comment (and nor is there likely to be one) forthcoming from Hearts other than to announce the suspension. I suspect there will be attempts to move him on shortly and a move out of the game in Scotland beckons if he is to remain in the game at all.

Also appears the club (And Celtic) will suffer no further sanctions after the mentalness at the recent game at Tynecastle. Some sanity there at least.

Comment

Duncan Gardner wrote:

Talking of it, er, kicking off in July, TNS v Criminalville should be fun
        *splutter*

How very dare you, sir.
        Besides, our lot will be at Cliftonville Circus throwing masonry at the Prods the whole of July.

Comment

Hearts and Hibs are in crisis, Dundee United never win anything
          Chirpy Banana Boy either has a short memory, or he is seeking to get a rise out of me n Mel

Comment

I had to dig pretty deep to find this thread.

The SPL kicks off on Saturday (blimey), so I'm going in heavy:

SPL - [tosses coin in air] Celtic
            Div 1 - Dundee
            Div 2 - Stirling Albion
            Div 3 - Peterhead

Scottish Cup - Aberdeen (I just can't help myself)
            League Cup - Rangers

The Dons have made a handful of solid if not spectacular signings, including Chris Clark who returns from Plymouth - he's a bit big girl's blouse but a decent player. Bebo Maguire is off to Derby reserves, and Richard Foster comes back from Rangers as captain.

Foster got abuse from some idiots at a pre-season friendly in Germany as punishment for his year at Ibrox - probably not great for team spirit, but unfortunately that's how Dons fans roll.

Comment

How do you reckon the Scottish sides will do in Europe?

Does the league winner automatically get into the Champions League group stages?

Comment

Antepli, you really should bookmark Bert Kassies site for all European qualification questions. Scotland's champions enter into the 3rd round of CL qualifying.

Comment

Etienne wrote:
                  Antepli, you really should bookmark Bert Kassies site for all European qualification questions. Scotland's champions enter into the 3rd round of CL qualifying.
                  Done Etienne, thanks for the link.

Comment

While Malmo is perhaps the toughest draw Rangers could have got in this round on balance I'm quietly confident they can beat them. The last qualifying round we will need to see but we are getting close to the stage where the CL group stages are starting to look a long way away for Scottish sides.

Every season I say that I hope the rest can do something and every season they find new and rubbish ways to limp out in the earliest of early stages. I really cannot remember the last time a non Glasgow side beat any sort of decent side.

For once I am actually hoping Celtic can win a few games too, the coefficient has to be the most important thing and as long as Celtic play in Europe every season then we need them to play some small part. Their European record over the last few seasons has been an absolute embarrassment.

Comment

The last really impressive European result for a non-OF team was probably Aberdeen's 4-0 victory against Copenhagen in 2007.

Dundee Utd. 3-1 up at half-time in their match. Still time for them to lose on away goals. Seemed a really good first half but can't get a link that works consistently. Not sure I can take a whole 45 minutes of Billy Dodds on Radio Scotland.

Comment

Bill Bones wrote:
                        The last really impressive European result for a non-OF team was probably Aberdeen's 4-0 victory against Copenhagen in 2007.

Dundee Utd. 3-1 up at half-time in their match. Still time for them to lose on away goals. Seemed a really good first half but can't get a link that works consistently. Not sure I can take a whole 45 minutes of Billy Dodds on Radio Scotland.
                        You weren't wrong.

Comment

Oh well, at least Dundee Utd can concentrate on the league from now on.

Here's what my crystal ball says:
                          SPL: Celtic (Champs), Hibs (Relegated)
                          1st: Dundee (Champs), Ross County (Relegated)
                          2nd: Cowdenbeath (Champs), Arbroath (Relegated)
                          3rd: Annan (Champs), Clyde (Bottom)

Comment

Welcome aboard, Boaby.

SPL: Celtic
                            1st: Dundee
                            2nd: Brechin
                            3rd: Annan

Comment

Cheers Oscar Mike. Was looking forward to the new season, but the SPL have completely screwed the opening round having it over 3 days. There's not much point tuning in to Open All Mics tomorrow for 2 matches and the Challenge Cup.

Being an exiled Buddie living in Australia, there's not a chance I'm getting up at 2.45am to see/listen to us lose at Dunfermline.

Comment

Yes, welcome Boaby, we've no St Mirren fans currently, or Morton for that matter, Renfrewshire's voice has been lacking on OTF for too long...
                                Actually I think we've more Scots in Oz on here than at home these days.

So everyone fancies the 'tic this season, we'll see. Neither squad is that different from last season which means Celtic's is stronger but I'm not convinced their first choice 11 is stronger than ours, if that makes sense.

Losing Walter is our big issue, I've not spoken to anyone who thinks McCoist is up to it but I'm more open minded. He's smarter than most footballers and quite single minded although his pre-season has been less than dazzling. With Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Hearts all having decent managers now I think the league will be a lot tighter this season.

Comment

bruno glanvilla wrote:
                                  The SPL ruling which allows this excused absence was brought in to enable Celtic to fulfil fixtures agreed prior to the publication of the new season matches, in Dublin (who says either half of the old firm pander to the lowest common denominator).
                                  Hibs have also invoked the ruling to sit out week 3 in order to play a money-spinning friendly against Sunderland, which I'm sure will pull a crowd of at least 6,000.

Comment

Jobi1 wrote:
                                    bruno glanvilla wrote:
                                    The SPL ruling which allows this excused absence was brought in to enable Celtic to fulfil fixtures agreed prior to the publication of the new season matches, in Dublin (who says either half of the old firm pander to the lowest common denominator).
                                    Hibs have also invoked the ruling to sit out week 3 in order to play a money-spinning friendly against Sunderland, which I'm sure will pull a crowd of at least 6,000.
                                    Big Sunderland support then?

Comment

No doubt. I'm off to the rugby instead

Comment

On this opening day, probably best to make it up to ABII. I went into the realm of hyperbole at the height of the Lennon affair, but even though the number of Celtic fans with republican sympathies are probably

Comment

O-0 still at Ibrox. Webster limps off already!

This is the first non old firm Scottish game Ive watched since the Motherwell/Dundee Utd final 20yrs back.
                                          Two excellent last man defensive tackles by Hearts centre halves. Hearts are looking goodto my inexperienced eyes.

Comment

Bloody hell theyve just scored! Eboue from a corner heads it in at the near post!

Comment

Its all Hearts at the moment Eboue shouldve made it two there.
                                              Rangers are all at sea as soon as Hearts enter their half.

Comment

Hearts are playing really well. Should be 2-0 up.

Comment

By the way, it's Obua.

Comment

Noted.

1-0 half time, Rangers totally outclassed so far.

Ray Wilkins must be the hardest working man in punditry, he eligible for just about every club in Europe.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X