Time to doff your cap to Nigel Adkins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would appear he is a man with honour. Southampton FC, on the other hand, come across as being grubby as hell.

It's like Rupert Lowe never left...

Comment

Why are we only dothing our caps now?

16 and a bit years ago Bangor City became Welsh Champions for the second season running. Nigel's astute methods, as goalkeeping player-manager, and glasses, led us into the promised land of a narrow defeat to Akranes. We salute you Nigel!!

Comment

Despite the fact that for many years we've held Scunny at arm's length while they've swung their fists and failed to land a blow, the fact is they have a manager who a lot of us would have liked to take charge of us this summer, though we don't like letting on.

Phil Brown seems to be favourite now. As much as i love him for what he did for us, i can't help but feel him and the Saints chairman are a match made in heaven........

Comment

He's presided over a particular 'Golden Age' in my time supporting Scunthorpe United. And I love him to bits for it.
          However all parties will appear either foolish or naive if he doesn't end up at Southampton before today is out.

Comment

Have we examined Soton's claim that two current EPL managers have applied for the job? Ferguson and Wenger would be my guess.

Comment

Kowalski wrote:
              Why are we only dothing our caps now?

16 and a bit years ago Bangor City became Welsh Champions for the second season running. Nigel's astute methods, as goalkeeping player-manager, and glasses, led us into the promised land of a narrow defeat to Akranes. We salute you Nigel!!
              The same man? I remember the glasses.

Comment

Scunthorpe are one of the few clubs in the top two divisions that I'm genuinely jealous of. Stuff like this confirms it.

What a car crash Southampton have been this season - shame there are no photographers there in to record it, the stupid media-manipulating tossers.

Comment

Adkins confirmed as new Saints boss.

Comment

I get the horrible feeling that he's going to regret this move, Southampton appears to be turning in to a car crash thanks to the ego of one bloke.

Comment

That prediction proved right. . As tratorello put it, 2 straight promotions, 15th place in the Prem, unbeaten in 5 matches...here's your P45

Comment

Wasn't it great when the BBC website was readable.

I miss it.

Comment

That seems a very harsh sacking.

Comment

Two successive promotions and then he gets fired midway through their first top-flight season in eight years, with them not even in the relegation placings.

They're bringing in Mauricio Pochettino, who has just been sacked by Espanyol for getting far worse results than Adkins was.

Stupid bastards. They'll go down now. Adkins meanwhile will walk into another job quickly.

Comment

Southampton took four points from their last two games (both away), suggesting that the decision was made after the home defeat by Chelsea a couple of weeks back.

Comment

I like Southampton and was very much hoping they'd stay up this year. I'll happily see them go down now - they deserve it.

Comment

Exactly that

Comment

Yeah

Comment

Let's not forget the people running the club decided they needed to play in all-red to be a serious Premier League outfit. They aren't the most logical bunch.

Comment

Southampton are cunts, aren't they? All the Dave Jones stuff, this season's red shirt, Woodward etc. I thought all this shit would stop once Lowe went but obviously not.

As an aside, they are by far the worst club for poaching young players from their junior clubs and then dumping them a year or two later

Comment

What's Pochettino going to know about Ward-Prowse, Clyne and Chaplow? A lot less than Adkins does at the moment, that's for sure.

A manager needs to know everything about all of his players for a relegation battle. This new guy isn't even going to speak English in his press conference!

Getting rid of Adkins is one thing, but bringing in Pochettino is the actions of someone who has seen what has happened at Swansea and is trying too hard to be hipster.

Comment

hold on, what?

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: Southampton are cunts, aren't they?
                                              As a Bournemouth fan, I thought that was a given.

I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy - reflects a bit, well OK then.

Comment

Kryvbas Gripper Rih wrote: What's Pochettino going to know about Ward-Prowse, Clyne and Chaplow? A lot less than Adkins does at the moment, that's for sure.

A manager needs to know everything about all of his players for a relegation battle. This new guy isn't even going to speak English in his press conference!
                                                Former Southampton manager, and vice president of the League Managers Association, Lawrie McMenemy on new Saints manager Mauricio Pochettino: "What does he know about our game? What does know about the Premier League? What does he know about the dressing room? Does he speak English?

Kryvbas Gripper Rih is Lawrie McMenemy and I claim my five pounds.

Comment

Hofzinser wrote: I like Southampton and was very much hoping they'd stay up this year. I'll happily see them go down now - they deserve it.
                                                  Yep, this.

After such a turnaround in the club's fortunes, you'd have thought he had pretty good job security (with most clubs, he would've). Given that it's the first season back at the top after two successive promotions, stability is surely the key, and with Adkins steering them from relegation, it just beggars belief that they've done this.

Adkins should, at least, find work fairly quickly.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X