Oh, is he still playing?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mirko bolesan View Post
    Barry Hayles is training with Windsor in pre-season. Would love to see him turn out in this
    What is that! Are they Basque separatists?

Kenny Miller has continued to lead our line throughout preseason (he scored in the Europa League although we're not talking about that), he's 38 in December. He was born in the 1970s which means there is still a Rangers first team player born in the same decade as me.

Comment

We've just re-signed Jamie Cureton for the fourth time in the last two seasons. He'll be 42 in August. Scored 15 in 23 for us last year.

Comment

Originally posted by AMMS View Post

Kenny Miller has continued to lead our line throughout preseason (he scored in the Europa League although we're not talking about that), he's 38 in December. He was born in the 1970s which means there is still a Rangers first team player born in the same decade as me.
        I'm not sure if this is the consensus from Gers fans, but as an outsider it seemed to me that Miller was by far your best player last season. He was outstanding in the win at Pittodrie.

Comment

Originally posted by AMMS View Post
          What is that! Are they Basque separatists?
          I'm still surprised that people are surprised by that Windsor kit, it's been knocking around doe three or four seasons now. I'm anxiously awaiting what they came up with next.

Comment

Philippe Senderos has signed with Houston Dynamo of MLS

Comment

Really shocked to see Micah Richards on the Villa team list in the match programme today.

Comment

Nowt about Titus Bramble making a comeback?

Comment

Oooh, who for?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                    Oooh, who for?
                    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40898339

Stowmarket Town

Comment

The name Conor Powell wouldn't mean much to most of you but over the last ten years or so he was one of the bigger names in league of Ireland football. He played with Colchester United briefly and also in Norway as well as for Bohemians, Shamrock Rovers, Sligo and dundalk. He reappeared today in the cup for non league Portmarnock utd still only 31

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                        Textbook OIHSP!

Comment

Steve Claridge, 51, started up front for Salisbury in the FA Cup. Won a penalty.
                          http://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/sp...alfying_round/

Comment

Russell Hoult also in FA Cup action at the weekend, in goal for Quorn

Comment

I am 53 and played my first game of fives in 5 years last week. Amazingly, I wasn't the fattest, slowest or worst player on the park. Scored two, made three, managed to get around reasonably well and wasn't sick.

Felt remarkably well afterwards also. I really enjoyed it, felt like I was 47 again!

Played again last night and now feel broken. Stiff, sore and the place where I broke my leg (which caused my premature retirement) is throbbing. There were too many youngsters playing. Tweaked a hamstring too, may have to take a few weeks off...it's like the numbskulls were all out getting pissed last Tuesday leaving me on auto pilot, completely missed the fact that I'd played and forgot to press the pain buttons. They remembered this week.

The one thing that I really noticed had gone was my spatial awareness. When I was playing regularly, I automatically knew where I was in relation to other players and to the goals. It meant if a player I was marking tried to shoot, it'd either hit me or miss. In goals, I never got beat at my near post.

It was a bit better last night but still not right. I think that having this awareness is what keeps a lot of these older pros playing. They can't run as fast, don't have the same stamina but they still have the touch, can still pass and are aware of what's going on all around them. Put that together with huge experience and they can still do a job.

I'm not saying I'm anywhere near that, just that the same principles apply. It's very sad that I appear to have lost it.

Comment

Peter Crouch scored for Stoke today. He reckons he's got years left in his playing career, according to his interview afterwards.

Comment

Ex Swansea, Hull and Doncaster man Jason Price, with a neat touch and finish for Harrogate Railway Athletic.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                    Peter Crouch scored for Stoke today. He reckons he's got years left in his playing career, according to his interview afterwards.
                                    Crouch is exactly the type of player I can picture still turning out for some mid-table League One team when he's 42.

Comment

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to lay down the law here, we can't have a current Premier League player featuring in OIHSP? because it's bloody obviously that HSP!

Jason Price is gold dust though, I always loved him even playing for the Jacks. I'm sad to see he's left his previous club (according to wiki) Almondbury Woolpack, mind.

Comment

Noticed a sizeable amount of ex-Leicester players mentioned in this thread, which makes me think that Severn Trent are putting more than just fluoride in the water. I realised at the weekend that another, Jordan Stewart (35) is still turning out for Phoenix Rising in the second-tier USL, a full 4 years after he last played a game in England. Also there apparently are Didier Drogba, Shaun Wright Phillips and erm, Peter Ramage.

Comment

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to lay down the law here, we can't have a current Premier League player featuring in OIHSP? because it's bloody obviously that HSP!
                                          Ah now we're getting the rules halfway through. I'm not au fait with the rosters of every Premier League club and had a genuine OIHSP moment when he was mentioned on Radio 5 as the scorer.

Comment

Jason Price is gold dust though, I always loved him even playing for the Jacks. I'm sad to see he's left his previous club (according to wiki) Almondbury Woolpack, mind.
                                            I've a feeling that Price's wiki has been edited by someone with a connection to Almondbury Woolpack. Appearances in Division Four of the Huddersfield and District League aren't usually given such prominence in a player biography. He must live round here, with recent appearances for Brighouse and Shaw Lane Aquaforce, which is Barnsley, I'd guess that he lives between those two, somewhere like the pleasant Huddersfield suburb of Almondbury, perhaps?

It's quite an enjoyable hobby, attempting to triangulate where a former pro lives based on their decreasing mileage as the wages or match fees shrink. Harrogate is an outlier though. Not an easy journey from Huddersfield. You have to go through Leeds, with potential M62 and M621 gridlock, or you could try through Wakefield and on the back roads via Wetherby, Boston Spa etc, but you get stuck behind a tractor and you're fucked. Maybe he moved?

Comment

I vaguely know someone in Almondbury, bizarrely – the sci-fi poet Steve Sneyd. It's the only reason I've heard of the place.

Got rather surprised meanwhile when I went down to Somerset this weekend and found there's an Almondsbury just near Bristol, which I've only just twigged isn't the exact same name.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                                Ah now we're getting the rules halfway through. I'm not au fait with the rosters of every Premier League club and had a genuine OIHSP moment when he was mentioned on Radio 5 as the scorer.
                                                Wasn't he Stoke's top scorer last season? There was also a pretty big deal made of him bringing back the robot when he scored his 100th top flight goal not so long ago.

The point I suppose I was trying to make in my initial reply to you is that I'd be awfully surprised if he retires while still in his 30s.

Comment

Barry Hayles playing for Windsor at Tuffley Rovers.
                                                  The Tuffley player has the "Oh. is he still playing?" expression on his face.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                                    I've a feeling that Price's wiki has been edited by someone with a connection to Almondbury Woolpack. Appearances in Division Four of the Huddersfield and District League aren't usually given such prominence in a player biography. He must live round here, with recent appearances for Brighouse and Shaw Lane Aquaforce...
                                                    We have a 'Spotted' column in the Doncaster fanzine for current and ex-players and Price is a semi-regular occurrence, usually spotted in his van on the M62.

This might help you pinpoint his location further, he's racking up the five star reviews for his chosen post-football career.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X