Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squad Numbers I Feel Comfortable With

Because it's great.

I dream of the day there is one of these for proper football.

Comment

Hot Orange wrote:
      A goal for Cardiff's number 52. What does Harry make of that?
      I'm fine with it but I want to know the story behind Ralls wanting it (and there had better be one).

Comment

New Wigan striker Kone has the number 2 shirt, which I think he wears internationally as well. Religious reasons again or just trying to annoy me?

Comment

Man United have given van Persie number 20 (Solskjaer's old number) because of Dimitar Berbatov's continued refusal to leave.

Zidane used to wear 5 at Real Madrid, and for the first couple of seasons it was in a Western/US Army type font.

Comment

Harry Grindell Matthews wrote: New Wigan striker Kone has the number 2 shirt, which I think he wears internationally as well. Religious reasons again or just trying to annoy me?
            A lot of African strikers wear 2/3/4 don't they? Not sure why

Comment

I'M NOT RACIST THOUGH

Comment

In good news, Hart's finally taken 1 at Man City, not sure what has been stopping him in the last few seasons as there was no more senior keeper as the incumbent was there?

After all his Swansea career sporting the annoying (for a centre half) 2 shirt, Ashley Williams finally takes the 6 instead. I presume some other player has moved on to free it up.

Comment

Analogue Bubblebath II wrote:

Zidane used to wear 5 at Real Madrid, and for the first couple of seasons it was in a Western/US Army type font.

I hated that, spoilt the movie for me.

Comment

Analogue Bubblebath II wrote: Man United have given van Persie number 20 (Solskjaer's old number) because of Dimitar Berbatov's continued refusal to leave.

Aboutrika wore 5 during the Olympics as a homage to Zidane. These things tend to spread if you don't clamp down on them.

Comment

Our league don't use squad numbers so we're 1 to 11 this season which has delighted me. It's been amusing watching younger supporters with no memory of the time before squad numbers trying to figure out which player is which, they really aren't happy about it.

Comment

Welcome to life in the SFL.

It's a shame Forfar aren't in your division this year; imagine the young 'uns trying get their heads around not being able to buy burgers, only bridies.

Comment

Fraserburgh's third sub on Saturday was wearing 67. I assume that there's a reason for this.

Comment

blameless wrote: Welcome to life in the SFL.

It's a shame Forfar aren't in your division this year; imagine the young 'uns trying get their heads around not being able to buy burgers, only bridies.
                            Actually the younger guys are surprisingly knowledgable on that type of localised curiosity, they've really engaged with it. It's all a big adventure for them, visiting grounds they've never been too before. Pretty much anyone under 30 has only known all-seater grounds and had to listen to boring sods like me going on about visits to Muirton Park, Brockville, Boghead or Cappielow, places that were regular destinations when I was in my teens.

You'd be surprised how excited a lot of the support is about it.

Comment

That sounds pretty encouraging, hope they're able to enjoy the lower league tour as much as possible.

Muirton Park, Brockville, Boghead or Cappielow

Well, they'll be able to do Cappielow (it's not changed much), and they've not missed out on much by not being able to visit Brockville or Boghead. I still miss Muirton Park though; McDiarmid's not in the same class, and it hasn't aged well either.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: Fraserburgh's third sub on Saturday was wearing 67. I assume that there's a reason for this.
                                Is he from Zonguldak?

Comment

Dempsey wearing 2 for Spurs.

I mean, I ask you, there's just no excuse.

Comment

His nickname is Deuce.

I realise that this makes it worse.

Comment

How could football do this to me? At a time like this? Just when I was managing to plot a path forward as well.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: His nickname is Deuce.

I realise that this makes it worse.
                                        Wouldn't 40 be better then?

Comment

Celtic had a 49, 67 and 88 playing against Benfica last night.

Comment

Yes, though I'm heartily in favour of 67 and 88 given the significance for the club.

I'm not too keen on a random 49 but it's nothing compared to a forward wearing 2.

Comment

Dempsey played like he had no idea where he was playing. Number can't have helped.

Comment

Harry Grindell Matthews wrote: Yes, though I'm heartily in favour of 67 and 88 given the significance for the club.
                                                Hooper was born in 1988 so it might be that.

I always thought Wanyama was trying a bit too hard to ingratiate himself with the fans when he picked 67 as his number. Fine player though, better than what we've been used to lately.

Comment

I thought Hooper's number referred to the club's formation/first game in 1888, as denoted on their badge?

Edit: ah, hang on. You were just giving his birth date as another option.

Comment

Arouna Kone at Wigan is number 2 as well.

I think I might be more offended by Andy Carroll being 8 at West Ham though. Who does he think he is? John Aldridge?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X