Squad Numbers I Feel Comfortable With

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
    Ronnie Whelan and Ray Kennedy both wore number 5 when playing for Liverpool. It isn't as egregious as Clint Dempsey wearing 2 for Spurs
    It all started when in Feb '74 under Shankly, Peter Cormack replaced the injured Larry Lloyd and Hughes shifted into defence as a replacement for Lloyd. The shirt stayed with that person/position for the years through Whelan.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
      Yeah, Zidane was a crime against humanity

*rolls eyes*
      That number never fitted him though. As for Liverpool, the only rule is that there are no rules.

Comment

Andre Onana is taking number 24 at Manchester United. It's the number he was given at both Ajax and Inter, but it annoys me all the same.

Comment

I see TAA still uses 66. Shouldn't be allowed. Makes my skin itch every time I see it. You're not a 16 year old academy kid any more TAA, deal with it!

Comment

The lowest number currently available at Liverpool is 12, although 3 and 6 could both be freed up soon (Fabinho almost definitely, Thiago strongly rumoured).

6 seems like a good fit - continuation from the 66 and it kind of works for that "full-back who slots into midfield" role he has now.

Comment

I think we're just going to have to accept that 66 has some significance for him and/or that's his "brand" now.

I'd rather see a right back/wing-back wear 66 than 3 anyway.
              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 21-07-2023, 11:29.

Comment

If Thiago leaves, Gomez can move to number 6 and TAA takes the 2, no more skin itch.

Comment

If not already said in a post going back 14 years and on 30 pages. 1-11 for those starting the game. Subs can wear whatever numbers the rules now allow for appearing in a game.

Comment

On Thursday night there were Shkendija outfield players wearing 77 and 85 and the keeper was wearing 99. Probably the highest combined total of shirt numbers I've ever seen irl.

Comment

I find it really offensive that Declan Rice has retained the number 41 at Arsenal.
                      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 22-08-2023, 10:13.

Comment

Spain's World Cup triumph may be null and void, with some questionable numbering. Teresa Abelleira​ had a very good tournament but 3 is never a defensive/holding midfielder, or any kind of midfielder at all, except wing-back, which she wasn't.

England were mostly sound.

Comment

Hoping I'm not breaking any rules on re-upping old threads, but I've been slowly compiling a series on the numbers worn in the Premier League in 1993-94, the first after the introduction of squad numbering.

Today's entry is Tottenham Hotspur, featuring Kevin Scott wearing number 8 after his mid-season signing from Newcastle https://museumofjerseys.com/2024/01/...enham-hotspur/

Comment

Great work, denishurley

Comment

Liverpool's starting XI squad numbers fascinate me today. Eight of the 1-11 are represented (only 1, 5 and 6 are missing), but then there's quite a jump to the other three - 62, 78 and 84. Has there ever been a larger gap between squad numbers than the 51 between 11 (Salah) and 62 (Kelleher)?

Of course, Liverpool may well have done this before this season, but I haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Orange View Post
                                Liverpool's starting XI squad numbers fascinate me today. Eight of the 1-11 are represented (only 1, 5 and 6 are missing), but then there's quite a jump to the other three - 62, 78 and 84. Has there ever been a larger gap between squad numbers than the 51 between 11 (Salah) and 62 (Kelleher)?

Of course, Liverpool may well have done this before this season, but I haven't been paying attention.
                                Joe Gomez (No.2) has played alongside Connor Bradley (No.84) a few times. A few players with numbers in the 90s have appeared in recent months so it's possible even that 82-number gap has been exceeded.

EDIT: I'll leave that here, but I clearly misunderstood the question.
                                Last edited by Walter Knight; 31-03-2024, 18:24.

Comment

I didn’t phrase it well, in all fairness.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Orange View Post

Wolves on Saturday went from 24 (Toti Gomes) to 84 (Leon Chiwome). They spoilt it in the second half by bringing 62 (Tawanda Chirewa) on as a sub.

Comment

Hmmm.

Comment

Working...
                                      X