Squad Numbers I Feel Comfortable With

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, born in 1991. Brazilian too. Move along, nothing to see here.

Comment

Kevchenko wrote: Coventry have got to be one to watch for a team without any players numbered from 1-11 this season:

Coventry
      23 Charles-Cook
      2 Willis
      18 Ricketts
      29 Harries
      30 Kelly-Evans
      6 Rose
      13 Gadzhev
      24 Haynes Booked at 58mins
      10 Jones Substituted for Lameirasat 67'minutes
      17 Sordell Booked at 32mins Substituted for Reid at 45'minutes
      27 G Thomas Substituted for Thomas at 73'minutes

Substitutes
      1 Burge
      8 Lameiras
      11 Reid
      14 Thomas
      20 Tudgay
      25 Finch
      31 Stevenson
      Just having another look at Coventry so far. During their visit to Bradford they played 22 minutes with only one player numbered 1-11 on the pitch, Jordan Willis, who wears 2.

This was after the following:

23 Charles-Cook
      2 Willis
      18 Ricketts Substituted for G Thomas (#27) at 73' minutes
      4 Turnbull Sent off at 66mins
      30 Kelly-Evans
      31 Stevenson
      13 Gadzhev
      12 McCann
      15 Page
      9 Agyei Substituted for Tudgay (#20) at 61' minutes
      11 Reid Substituted for Harries (#29) at 68'minutes

Comment

Ray de Galles wrote: I can understand people who stick to a rigid line of wanting 1-11 plus subs only but to say you're in favour of squad numbers but only to a certain point seems massively inconsistent.
        I don't see what's consistent about Manchester City having 40-odd players with squad numbers yet going up into the 70s.

Liverpool don't have a 4, 8 or 9 but a 66 and 68 despite only naming 35 numbered players.

Leaving loads of gaps is the real inconsistency.
        If you have 35 players in your squad, number them 1 to 35.

It works in France, it works in Spain - why wouldn't it work in England?

Comment

That's precisely it - there should be a rule that gaps are not allowed, or maybe like in France, a couple of free numbers like 33 for mid-season signings.

In 96-97, the first year squad numbers were allowed in Europe, teams had to number 1-25. It wasn't hugely noticeable but Newcastle did have to make a few changes - Philippe Albert 27 -> 12, Robbie Elliott 26 -> 21, Paul Kitson 28 -> 22

Comment

Yes, it's the lack of contiguity that offends me.

If there are 35 players in a squad, 66 and 68 by definition aren't squad numbers, they are vanity numbers.

Comment

But every sport that has adopted squad numbers has eventually ended up with vanity numbers, it was always going to happen.

While numbers 1-11 should and do still have a certain cachet, players coming in to the game now have grown only knowing the squad number system and unsurprisingly will occasionally gloam on to something more distinctive or novel.

I was more annoyed when I realised that clubs were going to alter players numbers every season rather than have a player keep one for the entireity of his career with them.

This "the numbers are too high!" stuff belongs with the "shirts shouldn't have sponsors!" and "all boots should be black!" pointless retrograde whinging.

Comment

The one thing about the 'birth year as squad number thing' is that it's nearly at the stage where guys will take lower numbers because of it.

If someone is allowed wear 03 or similar though...

Comment

I liked this from a Telegraph article about the ongoing disaster that is the competition formerly known as the Johnstone's Paint Trophy :

Perhaps most ludicrously, the total sum of Leicester's squad numbers (709) for their match against Grimsby on Tuesday night was higher than the attendance at Blundell Park (609).

Comment

Shane Duffy wore 7 at centre-back for Ireland last night.

He's the latest addition to a sizeable rogues' gallery.

Comment

At least he admitted it wasn't his choice. If he sticks with it however, then he becomes complicit.

Comment

3 Colours Red wrote: At least he admitted it wasn't his choice. If he sticks with it however, then he becomes complicit.
                        He wore it for the next game too but rare for Ireland players to switch numbers during a single international break. Will be waiting anxiously to see what happens in November.

On a different topic, anyone care to hazard a guess as to who has worn the most numbers for England at major finals?

Comment

I guess it's someone who has been to several tournaments, mainly bouncing around the numbers as a general squad member. Joe Cole?

Comment

Not a bad shout, but he was 19 in 2002 and '04 and 11 in 2006 and '10.

The answer may be slightly surprising.

Comment

Fantastic work once again Denis. I was wondering if it might have been a peripheral striker but on reflection the answer makes sense - the peripheral strikers have tended to vary from tournament to tournament whereas the players in this position have not.

Comment

I can't believe Tottenham didn't allocated squad number 40 to Harry Winks.

Comment

That would have been brilliant. Turns out that the Spurs #40 is allocated to the aptly-named goalkeeper Tom Glover.

Comment

Kevchenko wrote:
                                    Originally posted by Kevchenko
                                    Coventry have got to be one to watch for a team without any players numbered from 1-11 this season:

Coventry
                                    23 Charles-Cook
                                    2 Willis
                                    18 Ricketts
                                    29 Harries
                                    30 Kelly-Evans
                                    6 Rose
                                    13 Gadzhev
                                    24 Haynes Booked at 58mins
                                    10 Jones Substituted for Lameirasat 67'minutes
                                    17 Sordell Booked at 32mins Substituted for Reid at 45'minutes
                                    27 G Thomas Substituted for Thomas at 73'minutes

Substitutes
                                    1 Burge
                                    8 Lameiras
                                    11 Reid
                                    14 Thomas
                                    20 Tudgay
                                    25 Finch
                                    31 Stevenson
                                    Just having another look at Coventry so far. During their visit to Bradford they played 22 minutes with only one player numbered 1-11 on the pitch, Jordan Willis, who wears 2.

This was after the following:

23 Charles-Cook
                                    2 Willis
                                    18 Ricketts Substituted for G Thomas (#27) at 73' minutes
                                    4 Turnbull Sent off at 66mins
                                    30 Kelly-Evans
                                    31 Stevenson
                                    13 Gadzhev
                                    12 McCann
                                    15 Page
                                    9 Agyei Substituted for Tudgay (#20) at 61' minutes
                                    11 Reid Substituted for Harries (#29) at 68'minutes
                                    On the flip side to this. Bradford City's team against Oxford a couple of weeks back was
                                    1 Doyle
                                    2 Darby
                                    3 Meredith
                                    4 Law
                                    6 Vincelot
                                    7 Marshall
                                    8 Dieng
                                    10 Clarke
                                    11 Hiwula

14 Cullen
                                    22 Knight- Percival

Must be as close as it's going to get this season. Sadly 5&9 weren't subs.

Comment

Are Cullen and Knight-Pervical a centre-back and a centre-forward?

Re Harry Winks above, Julian Watts did have the wit to wear 40 when he was with Luton

[IMG]/converted_files/media/kunena/attachments/3796/IMG_6801.JPG[/IMG]

Comment

Kevchenko wrote: That would have been brilliant. Turns out that the Spurs #40 is allocated to the aptly-named goalkeeper Tom Glover.
                                        Excellent nominative determinism, I still wish the chap on the right here had followed suit and chosen a career in goal ;

Comment

One day I want to see a cricket team which includes a Ball, a Batt(y) and a Glover. England certainly have the first two available.

Comment

Viewing on mobile, the front page of this very thread now looks like a team which has replaced a long-serving left winger with an extravagant new signing.
                                            [IMG]/converted_files/media/kunena/attachments/3796/IMG_6802.PNG[/IMG]

Comment

denishurley wrote: Are Cullen and Knight-Pervical a centre-back and a centre-forward?
                                              I know the latter is a centre-back from his days with my lot, probably the best one we've had during our time in the Conference.

Comment

Cullen is a very tidy central midfielder on loan from West Ham.

9,10 & 11 are all forwards, although they did all play against Sheffield Utd last Saturday. 9 was at the expense of 7 and 2 & 3 also missed out.

It's very unlikely the 1-11 will actually happen. 5 (Nathan Clarke) is about the 6th choice centre back.

Comment

There's a question for you on the 'Weekend matchgoing" thread, Tapiocahead.

Comment

Sparta Rotterdam fight the good fight

Comment

Working...
                                                    X