• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current Watching

Has anybody watched Lilyhammer?

Worth watching?

Comment

Current Watching

I started watching Missing (or maybe The Missing). This is airing on Starz in the US. My sense is that it is running a few episodes (or weeks) behind UK broadcasts so I am avoiding any potential talk upthread. The only thing that seems confusing to me is that the flashback to 2006 doesn't make sense. The celebrations of France victories in the WC are repeatedly presented as if Frnace had won the WC even though we keep seeing footage of France v. Brazil. I'm sure some people took to the streets to celebrate the 1-0 win but not in the fashion portrayed in the show. They should have set this during WC 98. But maybe 2006 will make more sense as the show progresses. I think Starz is only 3 or 4 episodes into the series.

I should add that I think the acting by the lead French actor playing the police lieutenant/retired officer is really good. (I can't remember his name but I know I've seen him in other stuff.)

Comment

Current Watching

Andy Townsends Tactics Truck wrote: Has anybody watched Lilyhammer?

Worth watching?
        Saw the first couple of episodes, but never really took to it. Seemed like a one joke show really. I know a couple of people who think it's hilarious though.

Comment

Current Watching

Is anyone else watching 'Catastrophe' on C4? I've always liked Sharon Horgan's work before (though, bizarrely, never saw 'Pulling') but this which she has written with co-star Rob Delaney is excellent.

Best new sitcom in ages.

Comment

Current Watching

Bloody hell.

Actually I'm posting this in the wrong thread as I am not currently watching.

But London Live is showing Miss World 2014

Comment

Current Watching

Watched Marathon Man over the weekend, it being years since I last saw it. Has it aged? Only faintly. Has it lost any of its power? Has it bollocks, it's still a powerful, compelling and gruelling watch and the sequences of Dustin Hoffman getting an impromptu dental check up by a malevolent Laurence Olivier still disturb, all the more effective when it's the top-notch acting that makes it hard to watch than any bloodletting (of which there is none). Maybe I shouldn't be surprised at how well it's stood up. The storytelling, scripting, performances and direction are top-of-the-game standard and the tension of the piece still exerts itself as a result. If you've never seen it, give it a shot.

Another thing about Hoffman's performance is the startling Tom Cruise-ish aura in the sequence where he talks to his history professor at college. It's as if they've magically transported Cruise's body from one of his early films and plonked Hoffman's features on him.

But that's a triviality. The film isn't, though. Recommended highly.

Comment

Current Watching

OTF/WSC seems to be the only place not rife with 'Poldark' discussion, am I the only one watching it?

It's all very enjoyable, possibly moreso because every single episode has at least one scene that brings to mind the 'Gentlemen, to bed!" passage of 'The Trip' and also because it's hard not to hear the titular lead's lines in Coogan's Roger Moore voice.

Comment

Current Watching

I watched the first TV version thirty-odd years ago if that's any use?

Comment

Current Watching

Oh, so did I and I remember enjoying it despite being around ten. My memory of it is too vague to do much of a compare and contrast though.

Comment

Current Watching

Not sure Bloodline has been mentioned on OTF yet. It deserves to, very good, check it out.

I would hamfistedly summarise as a tasty mix between Tree of Life and True Detective.

One gripe - (and minor spoiler)

They leave it open for series two when I think it would suit being a stand alone series, or like True Detective, a completely separate storyline.

Comment

Current Watching

Garfunkel and Oates just showed up on US Netflix (I believe it aired on IFC last year). It's great, even if like me, you don't particularly like most of their songs. The writing is really sharp, Lindhome and Micucci give good performances, and it's chock full of great cameos from the alt comedy scene. Oh, and Ben Kingsley.

Comment

Current Watching

Luke R wrote: Not sure Bloodline has been mentioned on OTF yet. It deserves to, very good, check it out.

I would hamfistedly summarise as a tasty mix between Tree of Life and True Detective.

One gripe - (and minor spoiler)

They leave it open for series two when I think it would suit being a stand alone series, or like True Detective, a completely separate storyline.
                          Watched the first three episodes. Didn't actively dislike it but it hasn't really generated much enthusiasm either. Right now it's in the "if there's nothing else on I'll watch another episode," box.

I liked Damages quite a bit, Bloodline is by the same creative group, so I was prepped to like it. Trouble is it lacks a strong central character like the early series (Glenn Close.) Perhaps because of that the things I was prepared to overlook then (the irritatingly repetitious flash-forwards) I'm less prepared to do withBloodline.

Comment

Current Watching

T
                            Luke R wrote: Not sure Bloodline has been mentioned on OTF yet. It deserves to, very good, check it out.
                            Quite agree. The first couple of episodes were so-so, but it has definitely improved. We are through episode 10 and very interested to see how it all ends.

The actor who plays Danny is superb. Kyle Chandlers character is not much different from his character in Friday Night lights, but he gets to swear a lot.

Comment

Current Watching

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
                              Originally posted by Andy Townsends Tactics Truck
                              Has anybody watched Lilyhammer?

Worth watching?
                              Saw the first couple of episodes, but never really took to it. Seemed like a one joke show really. I know a couple of people who think it's hilarious though.
                              Loved the first season. The second season was a bit over the top, but the third season was worth it. Of course they left it comfortably in the air for a fourth season.

Comment

Current Watching

Wreck It Ralph, for the second time. Film's fine, but every time I see the opening Disney credit it annoys me just how poorly designed that fortress is. An open river gate? Ripe for a fire ship or one of Peter Jackson's torch-wielding gunpowder-obsessed orcs.

Comment

Current Watching

Amor de Cosmos wrote: I liked Damages quite a bit, Bloodline is by the same creative group, so I was prepped to like it. Trouble is it lacks a strong central character like the early series (Glenn Close.) Perhaps because of that the things I was prepared to overlook then (the irritatingly repetitious flash-forwards) I'm less prepared to do withBloodline.
                                  The actor Cal mentions (Ben Mendelsohn) becomes the dominating character. Whilst I found him a little hammy in parts towards the end, overall he's very very good.

A slow burner. In those early episodes it's hard to see who your sympathies are meant to be with. Tragic in the best sense of the word.

Comment

Current Watching

Paddington. Really good. Even better with booze and a takeaway. An enormously entertaining UKIP fuck you.

Comment

Current Watching

Crusoe wrote: Paddington. Really good. Even better with booze and a takeaway. An enormously entertaining UKIP fuck you.
                                      Because of my 4-year old, I've now seen this several times and am therefore in a position to adopt my best po face regarding it: The message regarding multiculturalism and celebrating difference is laudable except that in yet another Richard Curtis-type-fantasy upper-middle class London, the only non-white people you see are a group of calypso players on street corners. It's Ken Loach for my boy for the next few days. (I did like the toilet disaster scene, though. And the flying bit in the policeman's helmet).

Comment

Current Watching

Well yes, all true. But still better than I'd have thought and even if only slightly so more political than I expected.

Comment

Current Watching

I'm doing chunks of mid-80's telly at the moment. The last couple of nights it's been 'Prospects' (Euston Films series about a couple of young doleys and their crazy capitalist capers) and 'One Summer', a Willy Russell script that he disowned about a young school leaver (David Morrissey in his first TV role) and his attempts to escape a life of violence in Liverpool by buggering off to North Wales. It doesn't end well. Next week it's 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy' (1979 but close enough) and 'Smiley's People', followed by 'Edge of Darkness' (the 1985 version with Bob Peck). Can't wait

Comment

Current Watching

Does Prospects stand up?. I remember loving it as a kid. It felt like a natural successor to Minder if I recall. Amazed to see it only lasted 12 episodes.

Comment

Current Watching

Luke R wrote: Does Prospects stand up?. I remember loving it as a kid. It felt like a natural successor to Minder if I recall. Amazed to see it only lasted 12 episodes.
                                              I'm really enjoying it - mostly for its depiction of 1980's Docklands, but there are a couple of interesting social themes - racism is tackled very well. Gary Olsen and Brian Bovell are excellent in the main roles. And I'm getting a crush on Mona, played by Chrissie Cotterill.

Comment

Current Watching

Boxsetting The Wire. At last. Fabulous television - but you already know what.

Comment

Current Watching

I've been watching a BBC4 documentary on youtube called "Regional TV Life Through a Local Lens". Very good.

Nice bit with Angela Rippon in Cornwall interviewing Smokey Joe the Tramp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUED3qWAP40&feature=youtu.be&t=2m48s

There's a wonderful look she gives to camera at 3.31s after she asks him how often he has a bath.

Comment

Current Watching

I'm pretty sure this one won't get much OTF love, but I really enjoyed the new Peter Kay show, Car Share. Yes, his retro shtick is tired as hell, but this has a pleasant, easygoing feel, if a bit Royle Family (which I couldn't stand). I'm a sucker for small-set sitcoms.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X