Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t know what luvvie means.

I’ve never been married or involved in a divorce, but I still liked it. Not as much as some people did, but it was impressive.

The parts with the lawyers were the most powerful bits. I didn’t find that trite at all, but then I haven’t had much interaction with the legal system.

Comment

A luvvie is a pretentious actor who goes on about the craft, dahling *air kiss*

Comment

Making it about a theatre director and an actress made the story harder to relate to than if they’d had more common jobs. But I suppose Noah Baumbach is just writing what he knows. Also, it created a plausible reason why one of them had to be in New York for their job while the other had to be in LA.

Comment

Laura Dern was the best thing, perhaps the only good thing, about it. I felt that the story being told was trite - that (minor spoiler) ** they were having an amicable break up and lawyers got involved and it got less amicable and the lawyers left and it was amicable again **.

Also, "Noah Baumbach is just writing what he knows" is exactly my problem. The amount of films about films, film makers, actors, directors, stage and screen may have surpassed the number of books about authors and academics and publishers. I feel that there's a massive lack of imagination, a sad inability to consider there might be a world outside the confines that these people know. I just don't think it's an interesting enough environment to warrant the amount of material it generates. It feels desperately self-indulgent.

Comment

Big Mouth on Netflix is a scatalogical riot.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
              Laura Dern was the best thing, perhaps the only good thing, about it. I felt that the story being told was trite - that (minor spoiler) ** they were having an amicable break up and lawyers got involved and it got less amicable and the lawyers left and it was amicable again **.

Also, "Noah Baumbach is just writing what he knows" is exactly my problem. The amount of films about films, film makers, actors, directors, stage and screen may have surpassed the number of books about authors and academics and publishers. I feel that there's a massive lack of imagination, a sad inability to consider there might be a world outside the confines that these people know. I just don't think it's an interesting enough environment to warrant the amount of material it generates. It feels desperately self-indulgent.
              That’s not really true. It was amicable until she moved to LA. That doesn’t mean it was all her fault. He cheated and was expecting her to prioritize his career over hers in New York, though he didn’t really notice that.

But most stories about divorce make it hard to understand how they ever liked each other. This one starts by clarifying that, which makes the break-up both sadder and more relatable.

Comment

Caught the Storyville: Jonestown 2-part documentary on bbc4/iplayer last night. Using loads of contemporary audio & video footage, and interviews with defectors/survivors, it was both fascinating and terrifying study in demagoguery and how cult members can slide from a utopian community vision to a brainwashed nightmare situation.

I knew the headlines of the story (the deaths of 900 odd in 1978 at the Guyana commune by “revolutionary suicide”) and the pedantically wrong “drinking the kool-aid” quip that came from it, but that was it.

The otf search function shows this has been briefly discussed before, after earlier documentaries and the cottage industry of books on the topic, but I’d highly recommend viewing this one.

Comment

Watched that Don’t Fuck With Cats 3-part documentary on netflix last night. A gaggle of obsessive social media dudes play online detectives & feed a psycho troll who posts a horrible kitten killing video online. Things get much more bizarre and much, much more worse...It’s a real WTAF story.

Comment

Yeah, my daughter and her friends watched that last week. None of them knew the story before that, but it was big news here at the time. Almost too weird to be believed.

Comment

Just seen the first two episodes of The Outsider. It's a Steven King adaptation and so far so good.

Comment

Dunno if anyone saw the two part doc The Disappearance of Margaret Fleming on the Beeb last week, but it was pretty gripping. Very strange seeing cameras in a U.K. court, but the douce Scots authorities seem to have avoided prurience and lawyerly grandstanding.
                        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 14-01-2020, 21:14.

Comment

With Season 2 imminent we've decided to rewatch S1 of Sex Education.

So good.

Comment

Also watching the Yorkshire Ripper files on BBC4. A must see. The misogyny, sneering attitude, arrogance, intransigence and complete incompetence of the police is horrifying. Women died because of their pisspoor policing.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
                              Watched that Don’t Fuck With Cats 3-part documentary on netflix last night. A gaggle of obsessive social media dudes play online detectives & feed a psycho troll who posts a horrible kitten killing video online. Things get much more bizarre and much, much more worse...It’s a real WTAF story.
                              I couldn’t handle the cat-killing.

Comment

If it's around outside Oz I recommend Mystery Road - both the feature length movie and the more recent TV series.

Comment

I couldn’t handle the cat-killing.
                                  i don’t think it’s interactive, is it?

Comment

Oh the sequel film to Mystery Road, Goldstone, was on iPlayer over Christmas. I'm a sucker for Australian westerns/noir. Plot wise it was a bit slight but I enjoyed it.

Comment

The key to Mystery Road is Aaron Pedersen. There’s many an average Oz drama he’s saved, e.g. The Circuit.

Comment

I've reached the part of Mrs Maisel where she goes on tour then does a telethon. Very good indeed. Shalhoub also excels in these episodes. Doctor boyfriend is annoyingly smug and I hope he's being written that way because he's heading for a fall. Lenny Bruce's portrayal is hit and miss; his drug problems and legal issues were much darker than shown.
                                        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 15-01-2020, 14:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                          Also watching the Yorkshire Ripper files on BBC4. A must see. The misogyny, sneering attitude, arrogance, intransigence and complete incompetence of the police is horrifying. Women died because of their pisspoor policing.
                                          The head Cops look like a horrible shower of fucks don't they?

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

The head Cops look like a horrible shower of fucks don't they?
                                            The worst kind of old boys club all covering their own and each others arse and wallowing in the glory of his capture when they had nothing to do with his arrest and had set the investigation back by more than two years through their complete failure to verify the validity of their evidence. Absolutely appalling cunts to a man.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                                              If it's around outside Oz I recommend Mystery Road - both the feature length movie and the more recent TV series.
                                              Not seen that but recently saw a four part Aussie cop drama called Deep Water. Pretty good, and it had Craig McLachlan as the baddie.

Comment

So we never had a "Lost in Space" thread? Anyone else watch the second season?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                                  So we never had a "Lost in Space" thread? Anyone else watch the second season?
                                                  Gave up about four episodes into the first series. Found it dull and a bit repetitive to be honest, there are loads of better sci-fi series out there IMO.

Comment

Yesterday I got halfway through watching "The House" before I had to stop due to an absolutely uncontrollable fit of giggling. Caught me completely by surprise. I haven't laughed that much in years. I don't even think the film merits it, but something about it, probably the theme of parents reverting to teenage selves, the silliness, Amy Poehler is always pretty good, just blind-sided me.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X