No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silicon Valley is back for a final season. Ep 1 was absolutely wonderful as always. I'm just sad that there's only 6 more episodes of it, ever.

Last night the missus persuaded me to watch The Ice Storm, which is a seriously bleak film with some pretty inappropriate stuff. The message I mostly took from it is that living in Connecticut fucks you up.

Comment

I don't think many folks on here were watching The Deuce, but the series ended on Monday night. That was the plan from the beginning: 3 seasons. David Simon used a lot of actors from The Wire and Treme. I'd say that some of those actors did better work in The Deuce and others were better in those other two series. Maggie Gyllenhaal was spectacular (as always) and there were some newcomers (or new to me) who were good as well. I really enjoyed the series but have a connection to the space. I haven't spent a lot of time reading magazine/blog posts about this one as I did with True Detective but what I have read doesn't show much appreciation for James Franco's work. I thought he was fine in this, though not great. But, as has often been the case with Simon's work, the ending was kind of weak. The second to last episode ended with a bit of a shocker. The producers probably could have moved some of the last episode into that second to last one and had a better ending, combining the two.

I'll avoid spoilers in case someone decides to pick up later on but I'll say that the show covers the changes in Times Square (and to a lesser extent NYC) from the early 1970s through the mid-1980s. And then ends with an interesting temporal move. It's a fictional show so there are some liberties with the timeline. And I was surprised that the influence of crack wasn't built into the show more. There is really only one scene (unless the character was free-basing) and that scene happened too early in the timeline for crack to have featured.
      Last edited by danielmak; 30-10-2019, 04:36.

Comment

On my not at all illegal streaming service last night I came across a show on BBC4 which is vision from a narrow boat on the Kennett-Avon Canal. No music soundtrack or narration, just graphics sharing information about the history of the canal. It was scarily addictive.
        Last edited by Uncle Ethan; 30-10-2019, 06:43.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
          I don't think many folks on here were watching The Deuce, but the series ended on Monday night. That was the plan from the beginning: 3 seasons. David Simon used a lot of actors from The Wire and Treme. I'd say that some of those actors did better work in The Deuce and others were better in those other two series. Maggie Gyllenhaal was spectacular (as always) and there were some newcomers (or new to me) who were good as well. I really enjoyed the series but have a connection to the space. I haven't spent a lot of time reading magazine/blog posts about this one as I did with True Detective but what I have read doesn't show much appreciation for James Franco's work. I thought he was fine in this, though not great. But, as has often been the case with Simon's work, the ending was kind of weak. The second to last episode ended with a bit of a shocker. The producers probably could have moved some of the last episode into that second to last one and had a better ending, combining the two.

I'll avoid spoilers in case someone decides to pick up later on but I'll say that the show covers the changes in Times Square (and to a lesser extent NYC) from the early 1970s through the mid-1980s. And then ends with an interesting temporal move. It's a fictional show so there are some liberties with the timeline. And I was surprised that the influence of crack wasn't built into the show more. There is really only one scene (unless the character was free-basing) and that scene happened too early in the timeline for crack to have featured.
          I liked the 1st season but Ms F doesn’t binge watch so we got way behind and haven’t started 2 yet

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
            On my not at all illegal streaming service last night I came across a show on BBC4 which is vision from a narrow boat on the Kennett-Avon Canal. No music soundtrack or narration, just graphics sharing information about the history of the canal. It was scarily addictive.
            I think we had a thread just about this series

Comment

Yeah it’s lovely. If you just search for Slow TV on YouTube there are loads, including what I think is the first, the Norwegian train which travels up to the Arctic Circle IIRC.

Comment

Can't say episode two of Watchmen did much for me. I'll be charitable and chalk it down to "difficult second episode syndrome" after the exposition dump of episode one.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post

We've been with it all the way through. I'd agree with most of what you say, except this part:

But, as has often been the case with Simon's work, the ending was kind of weak. The second to last episode ended with a bit of a shocker. The producers probably could have moved some of the last episode into that second to last one and had a better ending, combining the two.

For me the last two episodes were exactly right, in fact they'll be my mental touchstone to the show. The, almost elegaic conclusion, with Blondie's version of The Sidewalks of New York as a soundtrack, was so fine it almost moved me to tears. You could tell the series was a genuine labour of love for New York for many of the writers and cast who have a longstanding connection with New York. I'm a bit surprised it hasn't gleaned more attention, maybe because of the subject? I suspect it'll either be quickly forgotten — which would be a real shame — or its reputation will grow slowly over time. I hope it's the latter.

Comment

This is going to look like an empty message since I want to avoid spoilers for everyone except AdC and anyone else who care to chat about The Deuce. Adc: Go 2 lines down and drag your mouse/track pad to reveal the white text. You'll be able to read when it's highlighted.

I somewhat agree with your take about the stroll. As I hinted at in my other post, I really liked the jump to 2019 Times Square. The Times Square that was being imagined by the city officials in The Deuce didn't come into being until 2000ish and then took another big leap when the city closed off Broadway maybe 5 or 6 years ago. But the thing that bothered me about the ending is that all of the ghosts he sees are happy except Lori, who gives him a look like: "Life is no better in death." So the ending is sad in some sense, but also happy in another and that's out of character for this story. Using that tone with Frankie made sense since he was almost always happy (true representation of happy go lucky). My suggestion about blending the two episodes was more about bringing back some of that gloom that was so central to the show.

Comment

Back at ya...

You're right the ending is out of character, but NY in 2019 is out of character with NY in the early 80s. It's also, perhaps significant, that the ghosts are uncannily happy but the two live characters Vincent and Abby (who walks through the frame talking on her cell right at the end) are still just getting by as mortals. I guess I wasn't particularly looking for dramatic continuity, and my familiarity with NY is limited, which might make a difference I dunno. Overall it left me on a rise rather than a dip which, it's true, was unexpected but I was grateful nonetheless.

Comment

Makes sense. But see one thing below.

I sent a copy of my book about Times Square to Simon's production company after seeing the first episode of Season 1. Do you think I have a copyright suit with that ending? Haha. (see page 49 partial quote)

https://books.google.com/books?id=H1...ghosts&f=false
                        Last edited by danielmak; 31-10-2019, 02:17.

Comment

Heh! I guess you could always give it the old school try.

Comment

We've just started an Aussie series called Total Control on the ABC which appears to be bucking the trend for local drama which is generally pretty patchy. After a couple of episodes this is panning out pretty well.

Deborah Mailman plays an indigenous woman who, after becoming an unlikely hero in a shooting, is plucked from the outback by the PM (Rachael Griffiths) to become a senator. She is currently being betrayed left right and centre and any illusions shattered. Also what I imagine is a pretty accurate rendition of a leadership spill, of which our politicians seem very fond.

I doubt it's on anywhere else.

Comment

We got a few Australian dramas on either Netflix or Amazon. I forget which.

Comment

If you want pleasant antipodean drama, check out The Brokenwood Mysteries. Set on New Zealand's North Island.

Comment

I'm going through some films we recorded off TV a while ago. Mrs Thistle was out this afternoon so I watched Bridge of Spies. It was very good. Hanks and Spielberg tend to team up well.

Comment

I've seen a few people bigging up Bridge of Spies recently. Is it having a bit of a reappraisal? I thought it was fine, but pretty much Hanks/Spielberg by the numbers. The only really memorable thing about it was Mark Rylance's brilliant performance.

Comment

Well it's not earth shattering but it's a decent film. Some of the scenes are very well done. I like good camerawork and clever shots. There were some clever jump cuts and juxtapositions. It also didn't treat the audience as morons.

Comment

Bridge of Spies is great. Maybe less than the sum of its parts, but fantastic performances and a worthwhile snapshot of the Cold War, especially how it portrays early East Germany. I never really read much about how East Germany came to be. We were taught that it was a Soviet client. Maybe it was, but the film shows how it’s government were trying really hard to be taken seriously.

Comment

Knocked out the new season of Jack Ryan. Not as good as the first season.

Watched the third season of Atypical. Enjoyable enough.

Now onto The King. Timothy Chalamee plays Henry V. Partly based on Shakespeares play and partly based on history. Pretty good as these things go. It’s got Sean Harris in it.

Comment

I didn't know Atypical was back. Cheers HP!

Comment

Watched the first episode of season 3 of Atypical. It's one of my favourite shows. I like how they resolved all the cliffhangers from the end of season 2 in unexpected ways.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                                I watched the very good Unbelievable on Netflix over the last few days. It handles its heavy material very deftly.
                                                Just blitzing through this, . It’s very good indeed.

Comment

'Mr Inbetween' has reached Episode 8 of Series 2. Very bleak stuff yet somehow compelling, as in how the character manages to maintain daily life. His paternal relationship with his daughter is being developed very well but what kind of future does she have?

Comment

Still really liking Watchmen.

Now onto His Dark Materials. I never read the books but I thought the film attempt showed unrealized promise.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X