No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm never sure whether to put music bios on the music forum or here. But, as there's very little music in it, I'm putting David Crosby: Remember My Name right here. I've never been a huge Crosby fan but what an interesting doc! Certainly the best portrait of a musician close to the end of the road I've seen. It's — or seems — unfalteringly honest, "None of them will talk to me. McGuinn, Nash, Neil. I've pissed all of them off." His wife, who can see the end in sight, sobs. "I don't how I could take another breath when he's gone. I may just disappear." This makes it seem mawkish but it's far from it. He's still touring, though with more exhaustion breaks, and has recorded more music in the past few years than in the rest of his life. At seventy-six his voice sounds as clear as it did at twenty-six "Me and Nash man. No one did better harmonies... 'cept maybe the Everly Brothers." Well worth your time.

Comment

He seems hell-bent on alienating everyone he’s ever worker with.

Comment

That's the result, though maybe not the intention. He's regretful, he knows he's hurt a lot people but he's also resigned to being who is.

Comment

I fear that's my tombstone.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
            I'm never sure whether to put music bios on the music forum or here. But, as there's very little music in it, I'm putting David Crosby: Remember My Name right here. I've never been a huge Crosby fan but what an interesting doc! Certainly the best portrait of a musician close to the end of the road I've seen. It's — or seems — unfalteringly honest, "None of them will talk to me. McGuinn, Nash, Neil. I've pissed all of them off." His wife, who can see the end in sight, sobs. "I don't how I could take another breath when he's gone. I may just disappear." This makes it seem mawkish but it's far from it. He's still touring, though with more exhaustion breaks, and has recorded more music in the past few years than in the rest of his life. At seventy-six his voice sounds as clear as it did at twenty-six "Me and Nash man. No one did better harmonies... 'cept maybe the Everly Brothers." Well worth your time.
            Normally I wouldn't bring a straight up music post into a thread dedicated to TV/Film, but I don't think this is going to derail a 149 page thread. Check out the Cactus Blossoms. There is no mystery about the Everly Brothers' influence but sometimes copying another band is good for me if I like the original.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLBtSAoQqkw

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
              1. Bojack Horseman: There's probably something to worry about that the TV character I can't most identify with is a washed-up alcoholic horse, but FUCK YOU GUYS. Course, I've never had the success of Bojack, so the reason for my dead-insideness remains to be determined. But this is about the show, not me. It's funny, it's bleak, it's occasionally tender, it's surreal, it's a cartoon. It's the best thing I've seen in ages.
              The first half of the sixth season of Bojack Horseman is supposed to be released today. That's my evening sorted.

Comment

Crosby is also a regular poster on Twitter. This is nice:

https://twitter.com/thedavidcrosby/s...30029601251328

Comment

Ah shit, forgot Bojack was back. Will have to finish the re-watch of the last season though. I was going to cancel my Now TV subscription but realise that Succession is on there (which i've read positive things about) and Twin Peaks (both original and latest series). Given that I lent my box set to someone about ten years ago, i'm now going to indulge myself.

Comment

I'm off to the cinema to watch Singin' In The Rain! It's such a good film.

To Catch a Thief is on iPlayer at the minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                      I'm off to the cinema to watch Singin' In The Rain! It's such a good film.

To Catch a Thief is on iPlayer at the minute.
                      Oooo...is that the singalong Singin' In The Rain? I saw that announced around here last week.

Comment

Happily, it wasn't a singalong.

I'm not sure how well a singalong would be really. It does have some cracking songs but there aren't that many of them compared to say, West Side Story and they get broken up by dancing a lot.
                        My god I wish I could dance, or move more like Gene Kelly.

Comment

I think it's a BFI specific release in Britain.

Comment

Watching Bojack

Comment

Have we ever done Harlots on here? We’re into Series 3, which maybe isn’t up to the standard of earlier, but Series 1 in particular is an old-fashioned 18th Century “bawdy romp” set in the brothels of London. Fun and serious in equal measure, with women the central characters. The soundtrack is modern, which I found challenging at first, but it actually works well.

The cast are all good, but Lesley Manville is fantastic. Is she ever not?

Comment

I think I mentioned it early on. Season 4 has just started here, and there's a couple of major surprises in E3.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                  Watching Bojack
                                  Burnt through it in a single evening. Most enjoyable. The new opening credits are wild.

Comment

The Kominsky Method is back. Looking forward to that, and to Dolomite Is My Name on Netflix.

Comment

I’m watching the thing about the music scene in Laurel Canyon in the 60s.

Comment

I think I mentioned it early on. Season 4 has just started here, and there's a couple of major surprises in E3.
                                        I think we just watched the first. Or maybe both in one episode?

Comment

What thing is that?

Comment

What thing is that?
                                            On Netflix
                                            Directed by Andrew Slater. With Lou Adler, Fiona Apple, The Beach Boys, Beck. A look at the roots of the historic music scene in L.A.'s Laurel Canyon featuring the music of iconic groups such as The Byrds, The Beach Boys, Buffalo Springfield, and The Mamas and the Papas.

Comment

Name, please?

Comment

Oh, sorry. Nevermind. Just caught up.

Comment

I was just logging in to post about this Laurel Canyon doc. Because I grew up in LA and miss living there, the doc resonated for me. And I like the music. But on the whole, it was way too disjointed. The problem likely stemmed from having a record company exec want to tell a story *and* want to make a record. So, it's 1/3 historical doc (told in part through contemporary interviews), 1/3 studio sessions of Jakob Dylan and other contemporary musicians covering the classic songs blended with a live recording from a concert where the songs were played by the same crew (more or less), and then 1/3 about Jacques Demy's film Model Shop.

The other problem is that people seem to drift in and out. Chan Marshall (Cat Power) is at a house but never says a word the whole time she's on camera. Norah Jones appears out of nowhere, does part of a duet, and never appears again. Neil Young is shown playing a guitar solo at the very end but is never interviewed. It's just poorly made, which is a shame because there was a lot that could have been done.

Comment

I don’t disagree. I gave up half way.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X