No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m watching The Shawshank Redemption. Another on the list of films that everyone but me has seen.

Comment

It's a terrific film IMHO. I'll be interested to hear what you thought.

Comment

I can see why it’s beloved. I had a mild freak out during the pipe-crawling scene, but it is uplifting.

I have never read anything by Stephen King. I may be the only literate white American male in their 40s who can say that. I’m not generally interested in horror, but this sort of thing is compelling.

Comment

Much of his best stuff (again, IMHO) isn't about 'horror' per se, but about the horror of something real that could happen. i.e....<spoilers ahead> getting life for a murder you didn't commit, but it really looks like you did.

Love that film...

Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption is just a short story, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
            It's a terrific film IMHO. I'll be interested to hear what you thought.
            Yes but...how did the poster stay in place?

Agree on the uplifting bit, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Yes but...how did the poster stay in place?

Agree on the uplifting bit, though.
              Did they have that blue sticky stuff then?

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                Much of his best stuff (again, IMHO) isn't about 'horror' per se, but about the horror of something real that could happen. i.e....<spoilers ahead> getting life for a murder you didn't commit, but it really looks like you did.

Love that film...

Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption is just a short story, too.
                He wrote Green Mile around the same time. I wonder why mid-century prison life was suddenly of interest at that time.

Green Mile hasn’t aged as well because it feels like another “magic negro” film, of which there have been too many.

Comment

Blu Tack was invented in 1969, though I think took decades for it to arrive in the US
                  Last edited by ursus arctos; 28-04-2019, 01:25.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    Blu Tack was invented in 1969, though I think took decades for it to arrive in the US
                    I guess he used thumbtacks, but I didn’t really notice.

Comment

I forget when the film was set, but we had the 3M tape in the 70s. Thumbtacks wouldn't work on many cell walls.

Comment

Sporting's question goes deeper than that. The question is how Andy Dufresne re-hung the poster over the hole in his wall after he'd crawled through the wall, head first, into the pipe area. It's consider a Shawshank plot hole. Not that it's anything you'd ever think about, but people think about it. (The plot hole 'community' is a dull and rabid one.)

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                          I forget when the film was set, but we had the 3M tape in the 70s. Thumbtacks wouldn't work on many cell walls.
                          Good point. Probably used tape

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                            Sporting's question goes deeper than that. The question is how Andy Dufresne re-hung the poster over the hole in his wall after he'd crawled through the wall, head first, into the pipe area. It's consider a Shawshank plot hole. Not that it's anything you'd ever think about, but people think about it. (The plot hole 'community' is a dull and rabid one.)
                            I think it would work. If he carefully only removed the bottom tape and kept it as a sort of flap over the hole, he could use his trailing foot to make sure it fell gently back over the hole and then the tape on the bottom would restick to the wall. He could glue the top edge securely and just attach the bottom with masking tape.

Anyway, making the poster look like it did before he left wasn’t really important to his escape plan.

Making the poster look nice and flat against the wall sets up the dramatic moment when the warden throws the rock through the poster and finds the hole, but it wouldn’t matter if they’d seen a gaping hole the second they walked in, because the difference in his head start would only be a few minutes and he’d been gone for at least five hours by then, I think.
                            Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 28-04-2019, 02:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

He wrote Green Mile around the same time. I wonder why mid-century prison life was suddenly of interest at that time.

Green Mile hasn’t aged as well because it feels like another “magic negro” film, of which there have been too many.
                              Shawshank was one of the first things King ever wrote,there's about 20 years between that and the Green Mile.

Comment

We just watched 1922 on Netflix. It's another King novella. It was a decent way to pass 2 hours, but certainly nothing for the ages. A decent story, but no really breakthrough idea or clever plot.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

Shawshank was one of the first things King ever wrote,there's about 20 years between that and the Green Mile.
                                  Oh. I thought it was in the same book, so I figured it was around the same time.

Comment

Since getting Now TV (purely for GoT), i'm enjoying watching every episode of Veep. Previously had only watched season one. Also got into Barry which is very funny as well as dark. It is a comedy but veers towards drama, but i'm glad each episode if only 30 minutes.
                                    This weekend i've watched The Day the Earth Caught Fire (thanks to Mark Kermode's latest Secrets of Cinema broadcast over Easter), Age of Ultron and Ant Man (due to seeing Endgame earlier in the week) and now onto Lolita, which I haven't watched in years. Can't wait to get to the Kubrick exhibition at The Design Museum.

Comment

And continuing the Netflix viewing, i'm now onto Cloud Atlas.

Comment

Two Saturdays in a row I have found myself watching the Science Channel for several hours. They do the same trick used by HGTV of starting the next show almost before the previous show has finished rolling credits, so you get sucked into watching it and it's hard to stop.

Comment

I love Barry but am tired of Veep. It’s just a bunch of assholes being assholes. That’s funny for a while but it’s worn out.

I’m going to ditch Netflix for a while. They just seem to be cranking out romantic comedies aimed at 13 year old girls. That’s fine, but I don’t need that.

I’m looking forward to the new Disney+. It will have all The Simpsons.

Comment

I watched Shazam! last night at the cinema. It was enjoyable. Some rather gruesome monsters for a 12A. Zachary Levi was great in the title role. There were some plot holes, but DC movies tend to be full of them and I can trade them off if a movie has humour and likeable characters.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                                              This weekend i've watched The Day the Earth Caught Fire
                                              Ooh, that's one of my favourite old sci-fis, if not my favourite.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                                Ooh, that's one of my favourite old sci-fis, if not my favourite.
                                                I watched it on Talking Pictures a few months ago and really enjoyed it.

Comment

So, after three amazing seasons, Netflix had canceled Santa Clarita Diet. Sucks of course. But this is what they do, and typically after 3 seasons. I'm sure they know their own business model, and what they need in terms of current and future potential viewership, but still...sucks.

Comment

Supposedly their costs escalate after three seasons, which is one reason so many shows end then. The flip side being that they take more shows to three seasons, so writers can plan for that sort of length. SCD pretty much wrapped things up, though it obviously left a few things for a potential fourth season to work with.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X