No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The grandad figure has really come into his own in this series of Derry Girls too

Comment

Shetland series 4 on Acorn TV. Not bad, some good writing and performances, but nothing special. Doubt I'll remember the details very long; hence it's time-killing TV.

Comment

My (Irish, actress) friend is pals with Cillian M snd has resisted my jocular attempts to get her to introduce us. He has a place in NW London and she describes him as seriously bookish, and amused by the whole sex symbol thing. He gets loads of free stuff sent by fashion companies who are desperate for him to endorse them or do perfume ads. I wasn't seriously trying to get in his pants, but she suggested I'd be more suited to "someone like Liam".

CM is at the Barbican theatre soon, may go to that.

Anyway, current watching. Not really been watching much, but Line of Duty is back and so is Gogglebox.

Comment

":Liam"? Liam cunningham?

Comment

Nah, the Neeson lad.
            Last edited by MsD; 09-04-2019, 11:10.

Comment

I've met Liam Cunningham, sound bloke.

Comment

I'll admit I wouldn't get half the jokes in Derry Girls but for one of my best friends being from Carrickfergus. My friend says it's practically a documentary.

Comment

We're just getting into Derry Girls (S1 E2) and accept the bits we miss for the bits we get, which more than make up for it. Just a lovely show and cast.

Comment

Killing Eve season 2 is on now. Yay!

Comment

Not for us it isn't. It seems the BBC (UK) has the right to show it immediately after airing in the US, but because they want to box set it, they're not showing anything until the season finishes in the US. Seems very dumb to me. There's no benefit to box setting if you're getting everything later. Not even Netflix does that with the stuff it has international rights for.

Comment

I watched the end of season 1 of Ozark last night - it's a strange show that has kept me hooked, but I'm not engrossed in it to the point where I really care about the characters. I've started season 2 though, so maybe I like it more than I'm letting on.

I also watched the end of Turn Up Charlie starring Idris Elba - it was ok, quite funny at points, but not overly brilliant.

Comment

So, Fleabag’s final episode has aired. I get that some sneerers have compared it to clunky sitcom Miranda, what with being about a messed up, single, young, middle class woman who owns a small retail outlet who breaks the 4th wall a lot, but I thought it was really funny and poignant. With some top notch writing, acting and a great cast of characters.

Comment

Yeah, it was a great show and in the end I liked the way they broadened out both the premise and the individual characters' roles in it. All the family members' roles and relationships were tied up perfectly by the finale too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                              Not for us it isn't. It seems the BBC (UK) has the right to show it immediately after airing in the US, but because they want to box set it, they're not showing anything until the season finishes in the US. Seems very dumb to me. There's no benefit to box setting if you're getting everything later. Not even Netflix does that with the stuff it has international rights for.
                              That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. For one thing, although it's a great show, it's not really box set worthy, is it? Maybe if it goes another season or two, but not now, and especially in this day and age when you can just have your friend sharefile the lot to you for free.

Comment

I know that the Guardian (among others) have gone all overkill on the Fleabag finale, but it was fantastic viewing. I've said before that I'd watch Andrew Scott opening his mail, but he - and the supporting cast - were uniformly excellent. Great final episode to finish it all off, too.

Comment

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. For one thing, although it's a great show, it's not really box set worthy, is it? Maybe if it goes another season or two, but not now, and especially in this day and age when you can just have your friend sharefile the lot to you for free.
                                  For iPlayer purposes, Box Set just means releasing putting whole seasons up at once, rather than the usual after-broadcast-for-30-days schedule. So like a Netflix or Amazon original release. But in practice for international distribution of broadcast shows this just means UK viewers getting stuff later and as you suggest likely pirating in many cases. The commercial streaming services don't do this except in rare cases like The Expanse (which just pissed everyone off).

Comment

Ah, I was imagining box sets of physical DVDs. I need to get with the times.

Comment

We've recently started Black Earth Rising which is decent if a bit harrowing. And of course anything with John Goodman in it etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                        I watched the end of season 1 of Ozark last night - it's a strange show that has kept me hooked, but I'm not engrossed in it to the point where I really care about the characters. I've started season 2 though, so maybe I like it more than I'm letting on.

I also watched the end of Turn Up Charlie starring Idris Elba - it was ok, quite funny at points, but not overly brilliant.
                                        The thing about Ozark is there's very few if any characters to actually like.... they're pretty much arseholes to a man/woman most of the time. Every now and then there's a flicker of humanity from some, but it's snuffed out pretty quickly. I loved it

Comment

I think you have it in a nutshell. It's completely addictive.

The only character - so far (I'm at S2 ep 3) - that I feel you have complete sympathy for is the preacher.

Comment

I've watched the first two episodes of Derry Girls, and it's doing nothing for me. Does it get better?

Comment

Just watching the first two episodes of Derry Girls on E4 now - it's like a 90s Northern Irish female Inbetweeners...

I love it.

Comment

"You don't think I'm going to express my individualism all by myself do you?"

From s1 e1. It had me right there. Adolescence in one sentence.

Comment

The unsympathetic characters thing with Ozark worked for me but not the other half of the sofa. so Series 1 was it. We watch together so only double ticks get through.

Willie - good to see you even if your avatar made me a bit queasy.

Comment

I saw 'Us' tonight and am mystified by the general huge level of praise for it. It's not half the film 'Get Out' is and is really quite meh. Baggy, incoherent, and repetitive with humour that tends not to work or serve the film and ,worst of all, quite dull.

Stuffed with subtext sure but the actual text isn't strong enough to hang it off.
                                                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 15-04-2019, 11:42.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X