Worst films by good directors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A sub-set of the long-running 'worst films' thread.

We took some dvds away for the recent wet and windy half-term weekend, as the accommodation was advertised as having a machine to play them on.

I'd never seen this particular Hitchcock and set it up for our saturday night treat....laydeez n gennelmen I bring you:

Hitchcock's 'Topaz'

what a crock of poorly acted, clunkily scripted, red-baiting, predictable, suspense-free bollox that was.

I'll get the obvious one in with Showgirls.

Comment

One From The Heart (Coppola)
      Munich (Spielberg)
      Eyes Wide Shut (Kubrick)

Talking of Hitchcock, Frenzy was pretty duff. Great period shots of London though.

Comment

One From the Heart has a lot more to offer it than Jack, which I was going to post about.

Woody Allen - any number of his late 90s-early 00s output, but I'd have to say The Curse of the Jade Scorpion was especially dismal.

Comment

I can remember turning a dvd of 'Jade Scorpion' off half way thru, so you've got that one nailed, Inc

Comment

Munich (Spielberg)

Haven't seen that, but Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull takes the lead for me, so far. It's an amazingly lax and lazy work considering the talents involved.

Comment

David Lynch - 'Dune'

Comment

Frenzy is tremendous.

Spike Lee - Bamboozled. Overlong, joyless and incredibly heavy-handed.

Comment

Yeah, Frenzy's great - it was just incredibly dated even when it came out.

Topaz, on the other hand, is the worst thing he ever put his name to. Worse than Waltzes From Vienna.

Comment

Munich's far from being Spielberg's worst, surely? 1942 is worse, as is 95% of Saving Private Ryan. And I can't stand ET, but that may just be me.

Comment

None of those can be worse than AI, surely.

Comment

Not sinnit.

Comment

Oh.

Comment

i've never seen 1941, but nothing can be worse than indiana jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull.

Comment

Sidney Lumet - 'The Wiz'.

Comment

Hitchcock's 'Topaz'

what a crock of poorly acted, clunkily scripted, red-baiting, predictable, suspense-free bollox that was.

I remeber seeing that and thinking 'is this an old TV movie'?

Comment

Atom Egoyan is one of my favourite directors, but Felicia's Journey is just so horrible and awful and bad.

Comment

Kubrick — Barry Lyndon

Coppola — Jack

Scorsese — New York, New York

Godard — La Chinoise

Bertolucci — Little Buddha

Comment

Kubrick — Barry Lyndon

It's one of the most visually stunning films I've ever seen, but you might as well have put shop-window dummies in place of the actors on show. As empty as a glass after last orders.

Comment

Godard has made far worse than 'La Chinoise'. It has some rather charming moments, I think.

Comment

i really enjoyed barry lyndon, maybe because i'm a sucker for 18th century period stuff. but i admit it did have a faintly parodic feel. something about that voiceover...

Comment

Context and expectation are always huge when "Best/Worst" questions come up. Barry Lyndon came after a run of gobsmackingly brilliant films, maybe unsurpassed in modern cinema, and a four year wait. Added to that — in my case — was a serious hard-on for Thackeray novels. Disappointment was almost inevitable and arrived with a full retinue of poorly lit scenes on grainy film stock and actors who didn't appear to have a clue what they were supposed to be doing.

The situation with La Chinoise was similar, in an opposite sort of way. Godard had been turning out a film a month — or so it seemed. It was a breathtaking juggling act. You sensed he was going to drop the balls eventually but they kept coming: Masculin Féminin, Two or Three Things I Knew About Her, Made in USA, One Plus One capped by the magnificent Week End. Then La Chinoise, talking heads against a blank wall reciting political polemic. It all vanished like Gitane smoke in a breeze. It very likely wasn't his worst film but it was the worst one I saw, because I didn't watch another for twenty years.

Comment

Barry Lyndon also deserves derision for ruining a perfectly good Haydn Sarabande and Mozart Piano Concerto.

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
                                                You sensed he was going to drop the balls eventually but they kept coming: Masculin Féminin, Two or Three Things I Knew About Her, Made in USA, One Plus One capped by the magnificent Week End.
                                                I still haven't seen Made In USA. I think that some legal issue has kept it from being available in America. I don't think Two Or Three Things is on Region 1 DVD also, but thankfully I have a letterboxed VHS copy I bought off of eBay for peanuts.

Comment

AI is one of the worst films I've ever seen, period, so it's Spielberg's worst by some distance and that's not to say he hasn't made some other duds.

Surely, Eyes Wide Shut is Kubrick's worst.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X