No announcement yet.

Christmas Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was a thread on Talking Pictures a couple of years back, it is said to be a family owned and operated (father and daughter) enterprise, enthusiasts/hobbyists who have gone round snapping up loads of cheap film and TV libraries that had dropped off the radar of the bigger channels. Can't help but think there is a bit more to it than that, the content might be cheap but Freeview and Sky TV slots aren't, so they must have backing from somewhere.

It is the sort of thing the BFI should have done, and maybe would have if Talking Pictures hadn't got there first and saved them a job.

Comment

It looks like The Christmas Chronicles is chasing that 'modern classic' status now. Kids had it on over Christmas - Kurt Russell is clearly enjoying himself a lot as Santa and the parts he is in are quite good. The rest is more than a bit meh. I also notice that they've not only made a sequel, but are now working on Christmas Chronicles 3. Safe to say, that'll be one for the crap sequels thread.

Also saw A Boy Called Christmas, which appeared to be Christmas-by-numbers, but was better than expected (maybe I was in a sentimental mood watching it, but if you're not in a sentimental mood, why are you watching a Christmas film in the first place?).

Comment

Christmas Chronicles 2 was dreadful. I loved the first one, and my kids love it.

Comment

Spider-man: No Way Home

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

Did you see a version where they kept in the "The Love Has Gone" song and scene in Christmas Past? I've got that version on DVD, but mostly on telly now they cut it because it's just so damned sad it reduces 90% of audiences to blubbering wrecks.
            That scene got lost in the transfer to DVD because of a studio decision to cut it then was actually lost in the TV version because it wasn't converted with the rest of the film. The original footage has now been found and restored. There was news coverage of this earlier this year.

It's probably the most important song in the whole film imho.

Comment

Originally posted by The Bean Counter View Post
              It looks like The Christmas Chronicles is chasing that 'modern classic' status now. Kids had it on over Christmas - Kurt Russell is clearly enjoying himself a lot as Santa and the parts he is in are quite good. The rest is more than a bit meh. I also notice that they've not only made a sequel, but are now working on Christmas Chronicles 3. Safe to say, that'll be one for the crap sequels thread.

Also saw A Boy Called Christmas, which appeared to be Christmas-by-numbers, but was better than expected (maybe I was in a sentimental mood watching it, but if you're not in a sentimental mood, why are you watching a Christmas film in the first place?).
              I liked ABCC. A bit of a different vibe than most Santa stories.

Comment

I read the book to my son a few years ago, plus its first sequel, The Girl who Saved Christmas. When choosing Christmas books to read, I'm always drawn to any book where the main character is Father Christmas (as opposed to Santa Claus.)

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

That scene got lost in the transfer to DVD because of a studio decision to cut it then was actually lost in the TV version because it wasn't converted with the rest of the film. The original footage has now been found and restored. There was news coverage of this earlier this year.

It's probably the most important song in the whole film imho.
                  My wife bought me the DVD for Christmas this year and I watched it yesterday. I thought the scene seemed to cut very quickly, and now I know why.

Comment

Saw Muppets Christmas Carol last weekend. Great as ever but Alastair Sim will always be my definitive Scrooge. Die Hard the other day. Not a Christmas film but I'm always glad of an an opportunity to rewatch it.

The Electric Cinema in Birmingham was showing Batman Returns the other day. I wasn't sure why but just yesterday I saw the headline proclaiming it as the best Christmas rom-com ever. So be prepared for Batman Returns to be co-opted into the Christmas canon.

Last edited by Jon; 17-12-2023, 16:58.

Comment

Apparently Elf is on limited cinema release.

I quite like Elf but not enough to pay to watch it again.

Comment

I feel like I'm in a tiny minority in that I find Elf immensely irritating rather than charming and festive

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                          I feel like I'm in a tiny minority in that I find Elf immensely irritating rather than charming and festive
                          You must be an South Pole elf.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                            I'm guessing I would be in that same minority were I not in the tinier minority that has never seen the film.

Comment

It is now the first Christmas movie I watch in the December binge. I like it more each time.

My favorite line is:

”Everybody's pushing small-town rural. A farm book would just be white noise.”

Comment

Originally posted by Plodder View Post

I'm guessing I would be in that same minority were I not in the tinier minority that has never seen the film.
                                I'm exactly in this minority

Comment

Me neither.

Comment

It wasn’t a huge hit, but like a lot of Christmas movies, it caught on cable and people of a certain age quoting it.

“You sit on a throne of lies!”

”We Elves try to stick to the four main food groups. Candy, candy canes, candy corns and syrup!"​

“I'm sorry I ruined your lives, and crammed eleven cookies into the VCR.”

“You feeling strong, my friend? ”

Etc
                                    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 18-12-2023, 05:06.

Comment

The wife and I watched 'Your Christmas or Mine?' on Amazon Prime on Saturday evening.

It was quite good without being spectactular to be honest. Typically cheesy rom-com at Christmas. It wasn't a waste of 90 mins at least.

As for Elf - I like it, but I don't love it like other people do.

Comment

Is Blades of Glory an acceptable alternative to Elf? It's got Will Ferrell and sparkly stuff.

Comment

I'd say the same as Simon. I like Elf, but it's not a film I'd go out of my way to watch.

Mrs Thistle watched The Santa Claus(e) last week and I caught a few bits of it but didn't stop to watch it.

Comment

I'll just deposit my annual recommendation for Arthur Christmas.

Comment

Whatever you do, don't watch A Beauty And The Beast Christmas, which not only has nothing to do with the Disney film, but has utterly hateful. protagonists and theme.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                                The wife and I watched 'Your Christmas or Mine?' on Amazon Prime on Saturday evening.

It was quite good without being spectactular to be honest. Typically cheesy rom-com at Christmas. It wasn't a waste of 90 mins at least.
                                                I mentioned this on the Current Watching thread - the first is watchable but the sequel goes downhill rapidly, which at least is appropriate given they go on a skiing holiday.

Comment

Another in the ever growing never-watched-Elf-category here. Best Christmas film by a mile is A Muppet Christmas Carol (unedited version as When Love is Gone is a beautiful song).

Comment

I've been trying to watch relatively modern ones which I'd never seen before, and last night watched Happy Christmas, which was neither happy nor particularly Christmassy, and a A Bad Moms Christmas which was so forgettable that it took me a while to realise I'd seen it before. And earlier in the weekend watched Four Christmases, in which the only interesting feature was noticing how much Reese Witherspoon genuinely resented having to work with Vince Vaughn.

At least I'll soon be switching to the classics for the final few evenings in the run up.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X