Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is This The Most Middle Class Programme On Television?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    Most people's bathrooms are tiny.
    Well, they’d be bigger if they had to have the laundry, but then the kitchen would be smaller.

Putting it in the kitchen does not necessarily save space in the flat overall, unless the space was built without the laundry machines in mind at all, in which case there’d probably be more chance of cramming it in the kitchen.

Am I to assume most people don’t have a dryer?

Really, if I had to pick one or the other, i’d pick the dryer. I’d rather wash clothes by hand then have them strung up all over the place taking forever to dry.
    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 19-11-2018, 00:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
      You kind of answer your own question there. Mine is in the kitchen, given that - not having a basement or utility room - that's the only place I can keep it. (Plus it's handy. Plus it's conveniently located for the plumbing and electrics, obviously. Only idiots plug sh*t in in the bathroom.)

Why are people so precious about this stuff? Kirstie 'bloody' Allsopp can sit 'n' spin, basically.
      I’ve been plugging things in the bathroom - by the sink, not the shower - for a long time and have yet to kill myself nor have I ever heard of anyone doing that. The plug by the sink has the ground-fault thingy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
        Am I to assume most people don’t have a dryer?
        56% of UK households have a tumble dryer, apparently. Make of that what you will.

My bathroom doesn't even have any plug sockets. Then again, my bathroom has barely enough room for the bath.

Comment

I’ve been plugging things in the bathroom - by the sink, not the shower - for a long time and have yet to kill myself nor have I ever heard of anyone doing that. The plug by the sink has the ground-fault thingy.
          Well done, you. The main issue with having electrical appliances in the bathroom is that it's the one room in the house where you yourself are likely to be wet/damp when handling such things. I'm pretty sure it's not even legal in the UK to place a power socket in a bathroom when building these days.

If you're referring to one of those shaver socket thangs, well, that's a bit different. But I wouldn't go there, that's for sure.

Somebody famous who 'did' electrocute himself in the bathroom:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...lb-793985.html

Comment

Yeah, there’s specific regulations regarding bathroom electrics in the UK. Definitely no standard plug sockets allowed. Here’s quite a useful guide for those interested. https://victoriaplum.com/blog/posts/...athroom-safety

We have a Miele washer-dryer in our kitchen utility annexe. It’s fantastic and self vents via the waste water pipe. I’d hate not to have a dryer in this damp country when hanging stuff on an outside line is regularly not an option.

Comment

Yes, we have sockets in our bathroom, and I honestly cant see the issue with them. I know that people are wet and so on, but it does seem a bit OTT - though of course, electric razors apart, if you don't have washing machines there, there really isn't much of a need for a socket in the bathroom. I tend to use my parents' razor socket for charging my phone in their bathroom when I'm visiting, because I don't have to scrap around with an adaptor. Which is an interesting point since the razor socket, with no earth, would seem to be the least safe of all the sockets in the average UK house

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                if you don't have washing machines there, there really isn't much of a need for a socket in the bathroom.
                Well how else am I gonna charge my phone? Next thing you're gonna tell me that I can't post on Twitter while showering.

Comment

Which is an interesting point since the razor socket, with no earth, would seem to be the least safe of all the sockets in the average UK house
                  Their maximum load is (200 mA) much less than a conventional socket.

Comment

We have a washer/dryer in our kitchen but we vary rarely use it as a dryer and tend to just hang clothing up in the kitchen which I'm sure Kirstie Allsopp finds really disgusting.

Comment

Very few clothes take to tumble drying that well. We've got a washer dryer but la Signora only puts underwear on a full drying cycle. Even cotton T shirts get dragged out after 30 minutes for final drying on an airer.

Comment

That post is doing my head in. Rogin appears to have shacked up with Amor de Cosmos's wife

Comment

When we had our 'utility room extension' done a few years ago, the first stipulation was that we could move the drying rack (which I understand is properly called a 'pulley clothes airer' (similar to this: https://www.castinstyle.co.uk/produc...SABEgL4DvD_BwE) bloody hell why do they have to have such long addresses?) from the kitchen into the extension.
                          So in winter pretty much everything goes on there to dry. Well, we're in the west of Scotland so actually most of autumn/spring and a fair bit of summer as well, of course.
                          But we do have a dryer as well - best for finishing off towels....

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                            Very few clothes take to tumble drying that well. We've got a washer dryer but la Signora only puts underwear on a full drying cycle. Even cotton T shirts get dragged out after 30 minutes for final drying on an airer.
                            This is madness. Most clothes do just fine in the dryer. And then they’re dry. Not taking up space all over the kitchen.

Comment

Very late to this thread but I don't care. I've always found some sitcoms to be the epitome of middle-class veneer and none more so than As Time Goes By. Well-scrubbed types of impeccable manners who seem to have never let a swear-word escape their lips in years. But my mum loves it, so I can only pick so many faults.

Comment

This is madness. Most clothes do just fine in the dryer. And then they’re dry. Not taking up space all over the kitchen.
                                Not in this climate. I give my load a spin in the dryer cycle, then hang it - in my bedroom which is far more spacious - and then eventually get around to folding, ironing and putting away. (Often just ahead of the next load, my being a lazy ghet.)

Comment

13A sockets are allowed in bathrooms so long as they're a minimum of 3 metres away from a bath or shower basin. The vast majority of houses in the UK don't have bathrooms big enough to make that regulation relevant, which is why you'll hardly ever see them.

Comment

In my case, 'a minimum of three metres away from the basin' would place the socket somewhere in the car park.

Comment

Which is probably the case for many. A zonal system exists in bathroom electrical regs. The closer to the bath or shower, the more stringent the safety precautions you have to take and what can/can't be installed.

Comment

There was a significant period of time where I fancied Danni Minogue far more than I did Kylie.

Comment

I possibly still do, I don't know as I haven't seen how Danni is looking in quite a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                                            Well how else am I gonna charge my phone? Next thing you're gonna tell me that I can't post on Twitter while showering.
                                            That's fine but perhaps draw the line at Instagram.

Comment

I never actually "did Kylie", to clear up any confusion.

Comment

My dad always takes the radio into the bathroom with him for his morning ablutions. He listens to Radio Wales then rings me up to tell me whatever Jason Mohammed has been discussing. I'm not sure if Jason realises his show is number one among semi naked Salop-residing septuagenarians.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                  I never actually "did Kylie", to clear up any confusion.
                                                  No-one would have thought that. You're safe.

Comment

Isn't there a "thing" in Britain, where you can only have pull-string light switches in the bog?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X