No announcement yet.

Old films that are tremendous

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Kind hearts and coronets " is on in one of the independent cinemas in Dublin this weekend.

Comment

I recently saw The Apartment for the first time and understand why it's beloved. It also is a picture of a New York that probably doesn't really exist any more. I can't imagine too many big insurance companies have armies of people like Jack Lemmons' character doing stuff in desks in a big building in Manhattan. All that's been automated or outsourced or, at least, happens in some boring building with miles of parking out in New Jersey somewhere.

It occurs to me that the idea of what New York is "supposed to be like" is based on how it was from the depression through the late 60s, largely because of books and films, but the people who actually remember it like that are disappearing and there's precious little of that NYC left, I suppose.

I don't recall if I've seen all of Escape from New York. I saw most of it on one of those glorious "HBO Free Weekends" that happened in the 80s sometimes.* I recall that it seemed like a very plausible future for New York. In those days, we all heard about how terrible big cities were, especially at night. And I felt bad for the kids and Muppets on Sesame Street. I didn't know until later about white flight and "urban renewal" and Robert Moses and dogwhistle politics and all that. I just thought cities were polluted and violent and getting worse. And I suppose a lot of New Yorkers thought that too, which is how Giuliani happened.

*My parents would never ever pay extra for a channel, but we had what passed for cable in those days because otherwise we'd get no TV at all. Every now and then HBO or Disney would "unscramble" their signal for a weekend and I'd watch as much of it as I could.
      Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 07-06-2019, 18:08.

Comment

Snuck into a drive-in to see Escape from NY back in the day. Need to rewatch as it has been a long while since last seen.

Snake, are you a John Carpenter fan? The original Halloween and They Live are two of my faves.

Recently re-watched Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?. Good god did that film keep your attention.

Comment

I don't think I've ever seen WAOVW, but I noticed that it's on Netflix or Amazon now, so I'll try to see it soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

1. There isn't actual cab service, Cabbie was an NYC cab driver who stayed behind when it was turned into a prison. He was linked to his cab at all times and simply didn't want to leave it (symbolically when the cab is blown up, Cabbie is killed).

2. Food parcels are dropped in once a month. There is a line of background dialog when the soldiers helicopter into the prison. (*Googles*) "We have a visual sighting on it. It's a crowd of prisoners in Central Park. They're waving at us. Signaling us in the food drop area." See also https://theofficialjohncarpenter.com...from-new-york/

3. The film was incredibly low budget. The "wireframe computer graphics" of the city was actually a model painted black and white tape, then bathed in a green light (https://www.pinterest.com/pin/423338433710900301/)

A lot of the SFX was done by James Cameron, who took what he learned and used it when making The Terminator.
            I really need to see Escape from New York. I've only ever seen the sequel, Escape from LA, which is corny as hell but bloody entertaining.

Comment

EfLA is 10 times better if you watch it straight after EfNY.

And then round the triple bill off with Big Trouble In Little China.

Comment

Originally posted by Cal Alamein View Post
                Snuck into a drive-in to see Escape from NY back in the day. Need to rewatch as it has been a long while since last seen.

Snake, are you a John Carpenter fan? The original Halloween and They Live are two of my faves.

Recently re-watched Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?. Good god did that film keep your attention.
                Oh... just a bit. Obviously he went right off the boil but he always did something interesting. Halloween, EfNY, The Thing, Big Trouble, They Live. Five cult classics. Then the oddness of Prince Of Darkness and In The Mouth Of Madness.

He just had an amazing habit of bad timing. Bringing The Thing out just as ET landed. Doing a smart, hilarious, weird Hong Kong action movie several years too early.* And EfLA was too cynical for an audience whooping it up for Independence Day. (And the wrong time to be not very good at CGI.)

* I swear Bulletproof Monk is basically BTILC

Comment

Working...
                X