Stuff you never noticed in TV and films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#1 C-3PO's silver leg (or calf to be precise). Why did I never notice this?

#2 Patrick McGoohan's blazer in The Prisoner. I was disappointed to discover, after buying the remastered DVD version, that No. 6's blazer is dark brown and not black.

There's no reason any non-Argentine would notice this, but a couple of years ago an Argentine did, and it went viral here - in one episode of Seinfeld a pack of yerba mate is visible on the shelf of a kitchen somewhere (I'm not sure of the exact context as it's one of the relatively few episodes I've still not seen).

It's that black-and-red bag behind Kramer's head.

Comment

This just came up on a podcast as an example of the Mandela Effect.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote: This just came up on a podcast as an example of the Mandela Effect.
        Yes, it was on the Skeptics Guide to the Universe podcast. I'd never realised previously.

Comment

Likewise.

Comment

Until it was pointed out to me, I'd never noticed the human hand controlling one of the velociraptors* behind the door in the original Jurassic Park kitchen sequence.

(*They were actually deinonychuses, as any fule kno.)

But I guess this thread isn't really about movie mistakes, so I'll think on a bit...

Sam wrote: There's no reason any non-Argentine would notice this, but a couple of years ago an Argentine did, and it went viral here - in one episode of Seinfeld a pack of yerba mate is visible on the shelf of a kitchen somewhere (I'm not sure of the exact context as it's one of the relatively few episodes I've still not seen).

It's that black-and-red bag behind Kramer's head.
            Sorry, but what the heck is 'Yerba Mate'?

Comment

You obviously don't read Sam's postings from Argentina.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerba_mate

(And in fairness, Jah's response is exactly why it's a distinctly weird thing to pop up for no apparent reason, and not as part of the plot, in the background of a US sitcom.)

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: #1 C-3PO's silver leg (or calf to be precise). Why did I never notice this?

C_3PO also appears in Raiders of the Lost Ark in hieroglyphic form along with R2-D2

Comment

Sean, I dunno if you have heard of something called "Ancient Aliens" (think Erich von Daniken), but I can foresee at least two episodes based on that glyph alone.

Comment

Sam wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerba_mate

(And in fairness, Jah's response is exactly why it's a distinctly weird thing to pop up for no apparent reason, and not as part of the plot, in the background of a US sitcom.)
                      Consider me enlightened. Apologies for not knowing...

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:
                        Originally posted by Sam
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerba_mate

Consider me enlightened. Apologies for not knowing...
                        Heh, as I implied I think you're well within your rights, there. My default position is to be flattered (or a bit weirded out) when people appear to follow my posts, rather than offended when they haven't.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                          This just came up on a podcast as an example of the Mandela Effect.
                          As soon as I read the OP I thought ah yes, I'd never noticed that too until I came across it reading something about the so-called Mandela Effect the other month. Having considered their supposition, I decided it made a lot more sense to assume that I'd simply overlooked it, not because the universe had reordered itself around me to make me look stupid while I wasn't looking.

I know of the hand-controlling-the-velociraptor thing, meanwhile, but I've still never actually noticed it while watching the scene.

Comment

Why google something when you can be all angry old man at it for not being known by you?

Comment

Sean of the Shed wrote:
                              Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys

C_3PO also appears in Raiders of the Lost Ark in hieroglyphic form along with R2-D2

There's also this in 'Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom'
                              https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...20060503183432

Comment

Twenty notes will get you one of these.

Comment

One thing I learned recently was that Captain Kirk's jersey on Star Trek was actually green, but the studio lighting made it look gold.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                    One thing I learned recently was that Captain Kirk's jersey on Star Trek was actually green, but the studio lighting made it look gold.

Get the fuck out of here.

Comment

Comment

Oh, with Club Obi-Wan, are we onto in-jokes and references in movies now? 'Cos I've got loads.

The cinema in Gremlins showing the work-in-progress names for ET and Close Encounters?

Last edited by Snake Plissken; 16-06-2017, 11:31.

Comment

I've never noticed the Star Wars bits in Indy, great find!

My current favourite TV show is Veep and whilst I have no imagery to back up my claims, there's a wonderful background detail I only noticed after about 6 viewings.

In the episode S05E06 (C*ntgate), Selina visits a store, on the shelves are her books which are overstocks and available at knock down prices, whilst next to those is the latest best seller, a book by Laura Montez (who would go on to be very very important in the series).

Also, in the US Office, when Jim buys Pam a house they comment on a hideous painting found on a wall, which in a later episode is seen being sold at a garage fair.

It's the little things...

Comment

Originally posted by superstu64 View Post
                                            I've never noticed the Star Wars bits in Indy, great find!

My current favourite TV show is Veep and whilst I have no imagery to back up my claims, there's a wonderful background detail I only noticed after about 6 viewings.

In the episode S05E06 (C*ntgate), Selina visits a store, on the shelves are her books which are overstocks and available at knock down prices, whilst next to those is the latest best seller, a book by Laura Montez (who would go on to be very very important in the series).

Also, in the US Office, when Jim buys Pam a house they comment on a hideous painting found on a wall, which in a later episode is seen being sold at a garage fair.

It's the little things...
                                            With stuff like that in mind, I loved the layering in That Peter Kay Thing. When you see the crowd scene at the Bolton Show in The Ice Cream Man Cometh and there's somebody carrying a cross, you learn later on that that'll be Leonard de Tompkinson.

Comment

Nobody* else noticed this but there was an episode of Fimbles, where Ribble the fluffy chick got covered in shite, and one of the other characters said ''Ribble Ribble - your face is a mess''.

I mentioned this on a board thread in 2011 too. The Wikipedia entry for Fimbles now mentions it.

*not many

Comment

This will probably set the klaxons off but every Spielberg film* has a shooting star in the background of a shot.

*Possibly excepting Schindler's List.

Comment

The C3PO action figures didn't have a silver leg and that is probably your first reference point when you think of C3PO if you're of a certain age. They tried making them with a silver leg when Hasbro went down the more realistic route for action figures around the 30 year anniversary but the figures look really odd.

Pixar movies are full of in jokes and Disney and other animated films are getting in on the act too.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X