Mary RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mary RIP

Because that's all you needed to say in the 70s and pretty much everyone in North America knew who you meant.

I wasn't particularly a fan, but the Mary Tyler Moore show epitomised the media mainstreaming of second-wave feminism.

"Love is all around, no need to waste it
    You can have the town, why don't you take it
    You're gonna make it after all
    You're gonna make it after all"

went the theme song as the ever-smiling Mary danced through Minneapolis on her way to work for crusty, but lovable, Lou Grant in the newsroom of WJM. The reality for single women in the workforce then was very different of course (the excellent recent movie Christine is, in my memory, a more realistic portrayal of the period and environment) nevertheless, however misplaced I sure do miss MTM's unquenchable optimism.

Mary RIP

RIP. The MTM show looks good from the bits I've just watched on YouTube. The earlier episodes were shown in the UK in 1971-72 (before it was dropped apparently, according to Wiki), which explains why the name rings a strong bell for me from childhood telly watching but not the content as I was much too young (8 to 9 years old) to follow a grown up sitcom at the time.

Comment

Mary RIP

She was great.

A wonderful dancer, comedienne, actress and activist who will be missed.

RIP

Comment

Mary RIP

RIP indeed.

I always thought she was very talented and genuine, and I absolutely 'did' watch her sitcom as a kid. As I recall, it went out after Grandstand on a Saturday. (With dark irony, the BBC used to rotate it with The Debbie Reynolds Show, as I recall...)

Comment

Mary RIP

As I recall, it went out after Grandstand on a Saturday
          Ah, thanks for filling in that detail. That's why I have such a strong memory of its being on telly.

Comment

Mary RIP

Also one of those people instantly recognizable from her initials: MTM, LBJ, MLK...

Her show produced an excellent spin-off: Rhoda.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071040/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Jah, IIRC Laverne & Shirley also got the post-Grandstand treatment, then later it switched to cops and fantasy: Cagney & Lacey, Kung Fu repeats, Dukes of Hazzard, Wonder Woman.

Comment

Mary RIP

Minnesota boys Husker Du deliver an excellent MTM theme rendition.

Comment

Mary RIP

I'm fairly certain that Laverne and Shirley had an ad break.

Comment

Mary RIP

Strangely it was shown at 8.30am on Thursday mornings on BBC 1 in Jan-Feb 1988 (at least in London):

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/faf5f86f1e7048b4b86115175791781e

Comment

Working...
                  X