Nice one Meryl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice one Meryl

For those who haven't seen it, her speech at the Golden Globes last night.

Particularly pointed from 2:30 on.

Nice one Meryl

Feral Meryl the Peril.

Comment

Nice one Meryl

If meryl streep's movies were about about a fifth as much craic as she seems to be, I'd probably have watched a lot more of them. I like the way she homes in on criticizing him as a performer.

Comment

Nice one Meryl

And the horror clown stormtrooped right into it, tweeting that Streep is "overrated", and how many times must he tell us that he didn't mock the journalist. Sign-off: "Lying media".

Well, his game, his rules. Everybody must now repeat the "Trump mocked disabled journalist" at every opportunity. Until his head explodes.

Comment

Nice one Meryl

I read an interesting piece in the Grauniad saying that Meryl had managed to touch a nerve by calling him a "performer" , whilst those calling him a racist, sexist, homophobic, violence-inciting bigot had failed to do so.

Comment

Nice one Meryl

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: If meryl streep's movies were about about a fifth as much craic as she seems to be, I'd probably have watched a lot more of them. I like the way she homes in on criticizing him as a performer.
            An Irish friend worked with her on Dancing at Lughnasa, filmed in Wicklow. Apparently Meryl was offered superior accommodation but turned it down, saying she wanted to have a laugh with the rest of the girls, and apparently she was "a scream".

Her speech was fine. Trump has suffered another Narcissistic Injury, it seems, so needs to put her down, while his supporters focus on micro errors e.g. that his election campaign wasn't "this year".

Comment

Nice one Meryl

I accept Trump doesn't always make it easy to think well of him and that, but does the general explanation for his mocking of a disabled reporter for being disabled rather than for other reasons, stand up at all?. If one wanted to be kinder to him, like?.

Apart from giving Clinton/Obama voters a sense of enormous well-being. I'm not sure Streep or most at the Golden Globes/Oscars are really capable of doing much at all to bridge the seemingly deepening divide between the great & good and the teeth-showing Trump voters.

Comment

Nice one Meryl

Meryl's comments were welcome, but - as can be seen by Trump's template juvenile response - have little effect on someone who appears simply to hear an affront to his masculinity (or whatever it is that it kickstarts in his psyche) whenever anyone puts forward a thoughtful rebuke. De Niro made more forceful comments pre-election - he was deemed 'a bad actor'; SNL continue their good-humoured barbs - they're dismissed as an 'unfunny low-rating show'; even Death Cab For Cutie were called 'a band nobody cares about with a stupid name' or somesuch when standing up against Trump. The kind of retorts that a five-year-old might make.

You're dealing with somebody who'll never stray from this kind of knee-jerk mentality: no amount of carefully-considered criticism is going to cut it here. The bigotry, prejudice and bullying are all deeply offensive, of course, but I personally find Trump's utter lack of sophistication and ability to process what others say to be far more disturbing. Heaven help us all when he's confronted with something that actually matters.

Comment

Nice one Meryl

Google "Narcissistic Injury", and look at the results from reputable sources. That's it, in a nutshell.

Comment

Nice one Meryl

Jah Womble wrote: Death Cab For Cutie were called 'a band nobody cares about with a stupid name' or somesuch when standing up against Trump.
                    To be fair he's got a point there. Even a broken clock etc...

Comment

Nice one Meryl

On the one hand, one would imagine that Meryl Streep is not going to win over your average Trump voter because in part she's exactly the kind of person that would hate him (educated, female, with a brain, etc). But after a while the fact that pretty much every fucking celebrity out there loathes him has surely got to make the parts of Middle America who voted for him sit up and take notice, no? I'm sure a significant proportion of Trumpers are also people who follow Celeb News and think t's interesting/important.

I dunno, maybe they're beyond hope and will love him even until the day we all perish in a thermonuclear conflict

Comment

Nice one Meryl

Jah Womble wrote: Meryl's comments were welcome, but - as can be seen by Trump's template juvenile response - have little effect on someone who appears simply to hear an affront to his masculinity (or whatever it is that it kickstarts in his psyche) whenever anyone puts forward a thoughtful rebuke. De Niro made more forceful comments pre-election - he was deemed 'a bad actor'; SNL continue their good-humoured barbs - they're dismissed as an 'unfunny low-rating show'; even Death Cab For Cutie were called 'a band nobody cares about with a stupid name' or somesuch when standing up against Trump. The kind of retorts that a five-year-old might make.

You're dealing with somebody who'll never stray from this kind of knee-jerk mentality: no amount of carefully-considered criticism is going to cut it here. The bigotry, prejudice and bullying are all deeply offensive, of course, but I personally find Trump's utter lack of sophistication and ability to process what others say to be far more disturbing. Heaven help us all when he's confronted with something that actually matters.
                        You're right on all of this- what is truly astonishing is that this kind of whining and bullying (which Trump has been indulging in throughout the campaign) has been seen as Presidential by about 68 million Americans

Comment

Nice one Meryl

Vulgarian Visigoth wrote:
                          Originally posted by Jah Womble
                          Death Cab For Cutie were called 'a band nobody cares about with a stupid name' or somesuch when standing up against Trump.
                          To be fair he's got a point there. Even a broken clock etc...
                          Yes, but you don't say that, do you?

(It's a stupid name, sure, but it isn't 'theirs' as such - it was taken from a Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band song. Imagine the field day Trump'd have had with that name...)

Comment

Nice one Meryl

ad hoc wrote: I'm sure a significant proportion of Trumpers are also people who follow Celeb News and think t's interesting/important.

I dunno, maybe they're beyond hope and will love him even until the day we all perish in a thermonuclear conflict
                            A significant portion of Trump supporters are saying that celebrities shouldn't get involved in politics.

Go figure that one out.

Comment

Nice one Meryl

Jah Womble wrote: Meryl's comments were welcome, but - as can be seen by Trump's template juvenile response - have little effect on someone who appears simply to hear an affront to his masculinity (or whatever it is that it kickstarts in his psyche) whenever anyone puts forward a thoughtful rebuke.
                              That's true, but I'm sure Streep knew her words would have no effect on Trump, other than the predictable kindergarten one. However that doesn't mean she shouldn't have made them, everyone with a public voice should do so over and over again. She was, as her concluding remarks indicated, talking mainly to the press (it being the Golden Globes) and their need, now more than ever, to keep speaking truth to power. She's dead right.

Comment

Nice one Meryl

Luke R wrote: I accept Trump doesn't always make it easy to think well of him and that, but does the general explanation for his mocking of a disabled reporter for being disabled rather than for other reasons, stand up at all?. If one wanted to be kinder to him, like?.

Apart from giving Clinton/Obama voters a sense of enormous well-being. I'm not sure Streep or most at the Golden Globes/Oscars are really capable of doing much at all to bridge the seemingly deepening divide between the great & good and the teeth-showing Trump voters.
                                Well, one of the criticisms levelled by Breitbart-types was that Streep failed to show empathy for Trump voters.

I'm not sure there is any need to build bridges between Breitbartian true believers and anti-Trumpers. Nobody will cross it. What is necessary is to build bridges between those who voted Trump despite Trump; the kind of people who in 2008 and 2012 voted for Obama, but could not find cause to vote Clinton. The appeal to them must focus on the value of decency.

To swing voters, Clinton was perceived as failing to embody that value, whereas Obama did. But more than any amount of policy or bluster, appealing to people's decency, from a position of decency, will provide the counterpoint to Trump. And with her compassionate and dignified speech, Streep showed how to do that.

Comment

Nice one Meryl

I'm glad she spoke up about MMA/UFC an all. It's fucking wank.

Comment

Nice one Meryl

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
                                    Originally posted by Jah Womble
                                    Meryl's comments were welcome, but - as can be seen by Trump's template juvenile response - have little effect on someone who appears simply to hear an affront to his masculinity (or whatever it is that it kickstarts in his psyche) whenever anyone puts forward a thoughtful rebuke.
                                    That's true, but I'm sure Streep knew her words would have no effect on Trump, other than the predictable kindergarten one. However that doesn't mean she shouldn't have made them, everyone with a public voice should do so over and over again. She was, as her concluding remarks indicated, talking mainly to the press (it being the Golden Globes) and their need, now more than ever, to keep speaking truth to power. She's dead right.
                                    Absolutely she should say it, as should anybody and everybody else who can similarly gain a public stage from which to do so.

Comment

Nice one Meryl

Luke R wrote: I accept Trump doesn't always make it easy to think well of him and that, but does the general explanation for his mocking of a disabled reporter for being disabled rather than for other reasons, stand up at all?. If one wanted to be kinder to him, like?.
                                      I can only presume you haven't seen the footage or are unaware of the nature of the reporter Serge Kovaleski 's disability. Whatever the reasons for Trump's mockery were, the form it took was an obvious and cruel imitation of the arthrogryposis (a condition causing joint contracture) in Kovaleski's right arm and hand.

Comment

Nice one Meryl

Summary of last night's speeches regarding the Muslim ban. Mahershala Ali probably made the most moving and articulate contribution:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jan/29/sag-awards-2017-hidden-figures-stranger-things-political-speeches

Comment

Nice one Meryl

Ray de Galles wrote:
                                          Originally posted by Luke R
                                          I accept Trump doesn't always make it easy to think well of him and that, but does the general explanation for his mocking of a disabled reporter for being disabled rather than for other reasons, stand up at all?. If one wanted to be kinder to him, like?.
                                          I can only presume you haven't seen the footage or are unaware of the nature of the reporter Serge Kovaleski 's disability. Whatever the reasons for Trump's mockery were, the form it took was an obvious and cruel imitation of the arthrogryposis (a condition causing joint contracture) in Kovaleski's right arm and hand.
                                          You lot are so intolerant towards bigots. Always thinking bigots do bigoted things for bigoted reasons.

Comment

Nice one Meryl

Satchmo Distel wrote: Summary of last night's speeches regarding the Muslim ban. Mahershala Ali probably made the most moving and articulate contribution:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jan/29/sag-awards-2017-hidden-figures-stranger-things-political-speeches
                                            Actors frequently get criticised for political speeches and statements. I think some view them as superficial or opportunistic. However, because of their talent and training, very often they're able to speak both passionately and articulately on emotional issues when, very often, anger or grief makes most of us incoherent. In these times that's a valuable asset.

Comment

Nice one Meryl

Fully agree. Well stated.

Comment

Working...
                                              X