Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have we done annoying geography in films?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Typically when you watch movies set in locations you know well, only to see protagonists make impossible journeys?

1. There's a 70s John Wayne film called [strike]Branagain[/strike] Brannigan, featuring a no-nonsense US cop on an assignment in London, encountering stuffy Brits. In the car-chase scene, he commandeers a man's car and drives over Wandsworth Bridge Road and turns into York Road. Only to emerge on fucking Tower Bridge Road and driving over the bridge, at least six miles (9.7 km) away

2. In Bridget Jones' Baby, Colin Firth and Patrick Dempsey carry Bridget, who's gone into labour, from Borough High Street to Univisity College Hospital, which is a one-hour walk (4.5 km) according to Google maps

3. At the end of The Sound of Music, the Von Trapp family jump in a car in Salzburg, presumably embark on a short car journey, only to walk over the Alps into Switzerland. Ach was, Kapitan von Trapp!

4. Krakatoa, East of Java, obviously. Not that I've been to Krakatoa.

Not sure these are quite "geography"...

Pretty much any US "action" film where they go to London, people seem to be able to drive from anywhere to anywhere else in about 5 minutes, rather than being stuck for 45 minutes trying to make the left turn from North End Road onto the A4...

Also - and admittedly this isn't film, but TV - recently a great many US "action" TV shows (Blindspot, Blacklist, etc) seem to find that travel times in the US are incredibly short: Various FBI heroes in Washington find out there's a bomb about to go off in New Orleans in a couple of hours and are still able to get there in time and fix the problem.

Comment

NCIS: Los Angeles.

Obviously set in a fantasy world with no traffic jams.

Comment

There's a Vietnam war film in which the hero (it might be Rambo in fact) escapes from Vietnam over a bridge on a motorbike to... Thailand. Conveniently missing out the tedious and less dramatic need to cross Laos and/or Cambodia first.

Famously of course, Kevin Costner's Robin Hood rides from Dover to Hadrian's Wall in a day

Comment

Gerontophile wrote: NCIS: Los Angeles.

Obviously set in a fantasy world with no traffic jams.
          In the movies, only New York has traffic jams. Usually to the airport.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote:

1. There's a 70s John Wayne film called Branagain, featuring a no-nonsense US cop on an assignment in London, encountering stuffy Brits. In the car-chase scene, he commandeers a man's car and drives over Wandsworth Bridge Road and turns into York Road. Only to emerge on fucking Tower Bridge Road and driving over the bridge, at least six miles (9.7 km) away
            Slightly off topic, but there was a whole bunch of scenes filmed in the 'Beckton Dumps' just over the way from where I grew up. It was big local news at the time. Aye, it was an exciting childhood...

Comment

Yeh, every Richard Curtis film and similar romcom set in London has people coming out of a tube then walking along the South Bank or something similar. Really annoying. It would be easy to be accurate, but I guess they just think the audience will see "London". The Parent Trap has the kid coming from Heathrow to Chelsea or somewhere via Big Ben and Tower Bridge.

Notting Hill - they get on a bus going the wrong way.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                1. There's a 70s John Wayne film called Branagain, featuring a no-nonsense US cop on an assignment in London, encountering stuffy Brits. In the car-chase scene, he commandeers a man's car and drives over Wandsworth Bridge Road and turns into York Road. Only to emerge on fucking Tower Bridge Road and driving over the bridge, at least six miles (9.7 km) away
                What about annoying spelling mistakes in annoying geography threads? I'll start: Branagain for Brannigan.

Comment

In "hear my song " Adrian Dunbar 's character tracks down Joseph Locke in tullamore co offaly which is as flat as a pancake, the patrons of the local pub then threaten to throw him over the cliffs of moher, about 90 miles away!

Comment

It's probably more "annoying meteorology", but there's a peculiarly bad Christmas Movie Rom-Com with Cameron Diaz (perhaps this is a tautology) called "The Holiday", where our protagonist ends up in a cottage in Surrey at Christmas.

And it's snowy.

I understand that many White Christmas movies are deeply meteorologically implausible. But snowy in Surrey at Christmas really annoyed me.

Comment

Here is Michael Fassbender hearing a song on the radioWalking out of my old apartment building, and walking across ireland and swimming to america.

Except between seconds 10 and 12, they've cut out the bit where he realises that he's turned the entirely the wrong way at the end of lime street and is heading for london, and has to retrace his steps. BTW, Leap Year starring Amy Adams takes some of the most hilarious liberties with Irish Geography, and the space time continuum. It's well worth watching though. It's occasionally quit amusing.

Comment

The Holiday : I like several things about that film, and it has Eli Wallach, so it's not all bad. But yes, it is Surrey for tourists.

Comment

Not a film, but I wasn't the only person living in Greater Manchester to watch Car Share with Peter Kay and say "He's taking the long way here. He was in Horwich a minute ago, now he's going down Manchester Road in Bury."

Comment

Not so much the geography, but Robert Carlyle's wandering South Yorkshire / North Derbyshire accent in "The Full Monty"

Comment

In Pride Joe is watching news about the end of the Miners strike. He's watching a local news programme at his home which is set in Bromley, but the local news presenter is Richard Whiteley, which would be Yorkshire TV's Calender programme.

Comment

San Bernardhinault wrote: It's probably more "annoying meteorology", but there's a peculiarly bad Christmas Movie Rom-Com with Cameron Diaz (perhaps this is a tautology) called "The Holiday", where our protagonist ends up in a cottage in Surrey at Christmas.

And it's snowy.

I understand that many White Christmas movies are deeply meteorologically implausible. But snowy in Surrey at Christmas really annoyed me.
                                The other week I was watching Paddington with my dad. He was fine with a talking bear but couldn't accept the heaviness of the snow at the end.

Comment

San Bernardhinault wrote: It's probably more "annoying meteorology", but there's a peculiarly bad Christmas Movie Rom-Com with Cameron Diaz (perhaps this is a tautology) called "The Holiday", where our protagonist ends up in a cottage in Surrey at Christmas.

And it's snowy.

Worse than this they try to claim that Archie Leach/Cary Grant was from Surrey when any fool knows he was from Bristol.

Comment

Apparently Millmoor Lane is in London.

And don't get me started on Ring Of Bright Water...

Comment

I remember that in some thread on Film, we were discussing the Contribution of Martin Shaw to the worst television programmes made this century, and someone from up Middlesborough was pointing out that by far the least plausible thing about the wretched inspector George gently was the jarring use of geography, crossing entire counties by turning corners.

Comment

Just wanted to say great topic for a thread.

Comment

Pretty much everything set in Troublings-era Belfast.
                                          If, say, Harrison Ford wanted to nip out to the shop for a packet
                                          of fags and a pint of milk, he'd have to pass by numerous British Army installations/checkpoints, a riot, some men in balaclavas, Crumlin Rd. Gaol, the Sinn Féin advice centre, Bobby Sands' grave, the whole of West Belfast, another riot and quite possibly a shoot-out involving more men in balaclavas and The RUC wearing laughably inaccurate uniforms in Daktari-style Land Rovers before he gets home.
                                          Fuck it, Harrison. Is it worth it?
                                          Just stay home.

Comment

Just a tiny one, really, but...

In '28 Days Later', the 'dream sequence' section (when you see the sheep scattering) was filmed at (the very local to me) Waverley Abbey, on the outskirts of Farnham. This always makes me think that, as they were fleeing the devastated London, they must have headed 40 miles SW for a spot of rural sightseeing before heading halfway round the M25 and setting off for the North.

Still - at least there wouldn't be such queues around Heathrow in a zombie-overrun world, eh?

Comment

I can't remember which film it is, but there's a very brief clip of some Hollywood production from the 1990s or 2000s which has become quite famous in Argentina. It involves a clip of a TV news report of raging fires in Buenos Aires, which shows burning trees or houses or something in the hills in/around the city. The reason it's become famous down here is that Buenos Aires is as flat as a pancake and the nearest thing that might generously be described as a hill is (and I'm not exaggerating here) 200 or 300 kilometres away.

Comment

Possibly Starship Troopers Sam?

https://youtu.be/DU7EJXXg3No?t=33

Comment

It's not Starship Troopers (1998) is it Sam? The on-Earth bits of that are set in some future utopian/dystopian Buenos Aires, if I recall correctly.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X