The ITV Ident Association Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 Colours Red wrote: I'm so conflicted - I'm too young to have first-hand memories of ATV and Southern but being an ident spod*, I feel I have to join in. If I can go with the successors of the two franchises that ceased transmission at the end of '81:

LWT - Gladiators
    Central = Bullseye
    TVS = Catchphrase
    Yorkshire = Countdown (wrong channel granted, but the chevron did appear on the endboard)

Thames was always Danger Mouse to me.

I'd be really impressed though if anyone can think of any networked programming from:
    Grampian
    Border (that isn't Mr & Mrs)
    Channel
    Ulster
    TSW

* I've made this known here before what with me starting a thread on ITV's 60th anniversary linking to the complete 16-part 9 hour epic that is the complete ITV In The Face.
    Grampian only ever made one networked programme, so far as I'm aware, a documentary about North Sea gas in about 1976 or so.

Border made a handful of kids shows in the 1980s, though the names of them escape me.

Ulster made the game show Password, and TSW made That's My Dog, a game show featuring people with their dogs.

I don't think that Channel ever made any series for the network, though they did manage a couple of episodes of others. They didn't start broadcasting in colour until 1976, I think.

Comment

World of Sport
      Tiswas
      How?
      The Sandbaggers

(I presume people younger than me would choose The Darling Buds of May for Yorkshire (though it's possible that - unlike Emmerdale - the fact that it was made by Yorkshire TV has been forgotten since it was set in Kent)

Anglia for me would have been Match of the Week, but then that localised issue has been dealt with upthread, so I'll have to say Sale of the Century.

Comment

Childhood TV Memories Part 3,064: At school, my friend Susan and I had a little ongoing bet as to whether we'd get the the full Anglia theme (with knight on horseback, etc) or just the brief 'sting' ahead of whatever schools programme it'd have been (possibly Picture Box or My World). Much to her annoyance, I always won because I'd sussed pretty early on that the knight was at a slightly different angle in either version.

I'm not sure anything in my life has ever mattered less than this.

Who was the guy that presented Orbit/Orbit 5 on Westward (with Gus Honeybun), around 1974 or so?

Comment

Well, if it narrows it down at all, JW, it wasn't Picture Box. That was made by Granada (this had a plain caption ident - Granada didn't use anything else until the late 1980s. It was said that they did this because they wanted their programming "to speak for itself").

Comment

Thanks, I'm not sure how many schools' shows Anglia would've made anyway, tbh - it was usually 'as London', from what I can recall. (I'm starting to think that it may even have been Seeing and Doing.)

The below site is quite interesting, if incomplete - and a little harsh on the eyes:

http://www.broadcastforschools.co.uk/site/Main_Page

Comment

Granada and Yorkshire seemed to make the vast majority of schools programming, even after they switched to Channel 4 (which wasn't a surprise considering how heavily they relied on the ITV franchises for both content and advertising revenue in their first decade).

Comment

Working...
              X