• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comedies that were actually funny

Trois Fois Un Rouge wrote:
    Originally posted by jameswba
    Originally posted by Trois Fois Un Rouge
    Can't believe there's been no mention of Black Books yet.
    I mentioned it but on the unfunny comedies thread. Not only did I not find it funny, I failed to see how anybody else could find it funny.

I only gave it the one chance and only for a couple of episodes, so perhaps I should try again with it.
    I can understand why someone wouldn't like it - Bernard and Manny's characters aren't that far removed from Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey's stand-up personas and both are acquired tastes.
    I think it's pretty much the worst thing on the resumes of all involved. Should have been great, was just annoying.

Comment

Glad I'm not the only one! Another episode that sticks with me is when Briers discovers that the route of an ancient right of way passes through where his garden now is, so he has public footpath signs put up which direct ramblers down the side of his garage.

Comment

I really like richard briers, but I can't help feeling that it's less a comedy than a drama about the of an obviously ill man who needs help.

Black books is one of the funniest things ever made. I think it helps that I absolutely love Dylan Moran and bill bailey, and that it might as well have been written about a group of my friends in my third year of college.

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: I really like richard briers, but I can't help feeling that it's less a comedy than a drama about the of an obviously ill man who needs help.
          Yes, I could see that, and that's what it would be if they were making it now. Even at the time, the sadness of all the principle characters - Briers, his wife, the neighbour, the knitted jumpers couple - came through quite strongly.

There's little point my commenting on Black Books, I just didn't get it on any level.

Comment

evilC wrote: BTW - does anyone have a link to a feed of 'Trailer Park Boys'? That one sounds grimly fascinating.
            Don't have any links, but you can probably get a box set of their first 4 or so seasons for close to nothing, all you'll need unless you're hooked. Get past the bad acting and the cheapness at first viewing and it's beautiful like piss jugs in the sunset.

Comment

I'll stick my neck out and say that "Mums Army", "The Desperate Hours" and "A Quiet Night In" are the acme of British sitcom. Do feel free to disagree!

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote:
                Black books is one of the funniest things ever made. I think it helps that I absolutely love Dylan Moran and bill bailey, and that it might as well have been written about a group of my friends in my third year of college.
                All of this.

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: I really like richard briers.
                  That's not a real sentence, is it?

Even Richard Briers would have had a word about the veracity of that.

Comment

treibeis wrote: Probably in a minority of one here, but I thought Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em was, and still is, funny.
                    Not a fan, but Yarwood and various poor impersonators probably inform as much dislike of it as the thing itself.

Comment

Quite enjoyed The Windsors the other night, predictable but fun!

Comment

No Roseanne?

Other favourites of mine include Frasier, Taxi, Blackadder, dinnerladies and The Inbetweeners.

Slightly weird choices of mine are Grace Under Fire, Cybill (Shepherd, and Christine Baranski as next door neighbour lush/sex-pest) and Married With Children.

I have a huge soft spot for Mom (Alison Janney is brilliant) and Big Bang Theory, although that is beginning to tail off a little.

Sketch shows include any Victoria Wood, Smack The Pony and Big Train.

Comment

So Mrs T picked up series 1&2 of 30 Rock in a charity shop and we've got into it. We've now bought all 7 series off Amazon for £19.99. That's 20 discs.

Does mean we have series 1&2 spare now.

Comment

(Meh. Misposted.)

Comment

Patrick Thistle wrote: So Mrs T picked up series 1&2 of 30 Rock in a charity shop and we've got into it. We've now bought all 7 series off Amazon for £19.99. That's 20 discs.

Does mean we have series 1&2 spare now.
                              So seven series down. Finished at the weekend. I never warmed to it the way I did to Parks & Rec, but it did make me laugh several times.

And so, on to the next box set. Series 1 of Arrested Development. Seen the first couple of episodes and it has made me chuckle quite a bit. Jason Bateman's son who is in love with his cousin is brilliantly awkward.

Comment

jameswba wrote:
                                Originally posted by Trois Fois Un Rouge
                                Can't believe there's been no mention of Black Books yet.
                                I mentioned it but on the unfunny comedies thread. Not only did I not find it funny, I failed to see how anybody else could find it funny.
                                Me and all. I try and try as I love Father Ted and The IT Crowd, but it consistently goes through to the 'keeper. It bamboozles me that (normally spot-on) folk rate it.

Comment

Married with Children is great. There's nightly repeats on free-to-air in Sydney at the moment and I really think it's stood the test of time.

Me and Dad used to watch it back in the day and we loved it; I liked Bud (being a smart-arsed pubescent teenager myself) and thought Kelly and Peg were sexy, and the old man really related to Al - even down to the dog being his only perceived friend.

I watch it now through the lense of a father with kids and its fucking too funny.

Comment

Black Books is clearly an acquired taste, but I enjoy it. The episode with the wine is a favourite of mine.

Yes Minister always makes me laugh, Sir Humphrey is one of my favourite characters of all time I think. Though, if I met a real-life Humpy I'd probably want to smack him in the mouth.

Comment

Only 4 years behind the curve I just watched all 8 episodes of the first series of "Adam Buxton's Bug", where he basically plays music videos and then reads out the below-the-line internet comments.

I know the premise doesn't sound that promising but, for me, it was properly laugh out loud funny.

Comment

tracteurgarçon wrote: Only 4 years behind the curve I just watched all 8 episodes of the first series of "Adam Buxton's Bug", where he basically plays music videos and then reads out the below-the-line internet comments.

I know the premise doesn't sound that promising but, for me, it was properly laugh out loud funny.
                                        Which is something he continues to do in a similar vein when in the book corner of 8 out of 10 cats does Countdown.

Appreciate that this thread is going to be about comedies from yesteryear, but did anyone catch Camping on Sky? Didn't see it first time around but watched via OnDemand and its one of the best, funny, most excruciating comedies I've seen for a long while. Written and starred in by Julia Davis, those familiar with her work will know what to expect, but I thought that this was better than Nighty Night and certainly Hunderby in my view.

Comment

Glad to see Early Doors has believers on here. It's superior to the Royle Family (itself wonderful), with every, and I mean every character a brilliant creation - Old Tommy, Eddie & Joan, the lazy coppers Phil & Nige, Duffy & Joe - just brilliant.

Father Ted is still great after twenty years and, for me, about thirty views of every episode.

The Office
                                          Knowing Me Knowing You & I'm Alan Partridge
                                          Bottom
                                          Phoenix Nights
                                          Black Books

Comment

tracteurgarçon wrote: Only 4 years behind the curve I just watched all 8 episodes of the first series of "Adam Buxton's Bug", where he basically plays music videos and then reads out the below-the-line internet comments.

Check out his live show if you can, as it's basically Bug, and just as prone to send me into paroxysms of laughter. Though recently it's been more of a Bowie tribute/retrospective.

Comment

Arrested Development is just hilarious.

I love the 'Next time' segments at the end. They crack me up every time.

Comment

Only fools and horses first broadcast 35 years old today

Comment

elguapo4 wrote: Only fools and horses first broadcast 35 years old today
                                                  Wrong thread me thinks.

Comment

Your opinion, there's stuff on this thread I think is as funny as a funeral, my opinion is it still stands up apart from the last ill advised comeback

Comment

Working...
                                                    X