First Dates.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Dates.

Right, I am going to say it. This programme is one of the most life-affirming programmes going. If you don't know the premise, it is a restaurant in London and couples are set up for blind dates and it is filmed. Of course, it is reality TV and has the usual reality TV tropes - judicious editing, a polarised reflection of society, artificial matching of personalities, some car-crash elements and outrageous characters.

However, it has to be said that, despite the latter two elements, it is the least cynical reality show (just in front of Gogglebox) ever. A lot of it is couples talking about love, romance, emotions, previous relationships, fears and, you know, trivia. It is really lovely and refreshing and worth the "Ex on the Beach" and "Made In Chelsea"

It has also been an absolute revelation for me seeing gay and lesbian couple dating. To be honest, as someone who has been with the same partner 28 years, it is a revelation as to how any single people date nowadays.

I think it shows my age that the one criticism I would make is that they focus enough on the food they are eating.

First Dates.

Signora Rogin and I love it. It allows me, for a start, to enjoy my favourite pastime, which is passing judgment on anyone remotely posh or hipsterish as a "thick as mince wanker".

Comment

First Dates.

See, I think you are taking different things from it that I am.

Comment

First Dates.

Although I do tend to call out hipsters when I see them.

Comment

First Dates.

It's my/our favourite programme; they don't need the schtick with the waiter/waitresses, but otherwise it's exemplary.

Comment

First Dates.

They are obviously framing them as regular characters, especially the maître d', but yes you're right

Comment

First Dates.

Senhora steveeeeeeeee and I are also fans. The selection and matching process by the research team is superb. The sympathetic way it gives insights into social awkwardness is particularly good.

Comment

First Dates.

I'd rather spoon out my eyes than watch this sort of lark.
                An erstwhile OTFer did mention something that happened on one episode that sounded hilarious though.
                Some chap apparently gave the girl a framed picture of himself to his date as a birthday present?

Comment

First Dates.

Don't remember that one but we enjoy it too. I work quite near the restaurant where it's filmed and we're meaning to go soon.

Comment

First Dates.

hobbes wrote: I'd rather spoon out my eyes than watch this sort of lark.
                    That is the sort of remark I imagined from someone who hasn't watched it.

hobbes wrote:
                    An erstwhile OTFer did mention something that happened on one episode that sounded hilarious though.
                    I also wonder whether I can imagine which erstwhile OTFer it was.

Some chap apparently gave the girl a framed picture of himself to his date as a birthday present?
                    Don't get me wrong, there are loads of tossers on there. However considering, as with Gogglebox, the selection policy brings in a much more representative - as much as a self selecting group can be - section of society, there are refreshingly few.

The nice side of it also is that they have widened the net so that there are now more older folk which brings in an interesting set of anecdotes and experiences.

Comment

First Dates.

The Maitre-D being set up as some sort of love expert JUST BECAUSE HE'S FRENCH! Fucking hell.

When he starts on one of his 'love is a beautiful thing' monologues, aarrgghh. Dreadful dreadful.

They need to stop concentrating on him and show more of the punters. And the barman, who seems a genuinely friendly chap.

They do have too many poshos on, but then again, at the prices they're supposedly charging, that's what they want. I suspect when one of the First Date regulars becomes a minor celebrity and goes on CBB is when the show will jump the shark.

Comment

First Dates.

Yes, the maitre'd is far too smug. But I'm in love with the barman.

Off topic, but on OP; me and Ms johnr were discussing the programme, and I mentioned this thread, as we were walking down the street on Saturday, and I realised that we were just overtaking ex-OTF-er Spearmint Rhino...I gave him your best, Bored.

Comment

Working...
                        X