The Revenant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Revenant

This is quite decent, sort of Last of The Mohicans meets Deliverance meets Southern Comfort. However, it's much too long at 155 minutes and there are far too many endless shots of people wearily traipsing through snowy forests.

I don't think I have seen somebody take as much physical punishment in a film as Di Caprio's character does here, since possibly The Passion Of The Christ or Peter Weller in Robocop.

The Revenant

Comment

The Revenant

What?

Comment

The Revenant

http://www.wsc.co.uk/forum-index/30-film-tv/1150290-the-revenant

Comment

The Revenant

Oh.

Comment

The Revenant

You could add an 's' to the title and we could discuss how hard to follow the 2nd series is..?

Comment

The Revenant

Well, I really enjoyed series 2, but I know it wasn't to everyone's liking. It did leave a lot of unanswered questions.

Here's a good explanation from some french people on DigitalSpy:

*****CONTAINS SPOILERS*****

'Les Revs was discussed at a party I was at - with French friends - over the holiday. Apparently there's a French mythology about 'changling' children being left on the doorsteps of unsuspecting new parents (or a human child being substituted by a 'changling') and water sprites particularly are part of this myth. And of course, water played a rather large part in Les Revs.

So, the leaving of Nathan on a doorstep by Lucy (who was wearing a mini version of a sprites stereotypical diaphanous white dress that never got soiled) tied in with that mythology. Then, if they were all brought back via water (remembering water in Camille's coffin) the reason all the returned had disappeared by the time Julie woke up after jumping (final episode) was because Victor - in his effort to save Julie - converted all of The Horde to water, filling the hole and thus saving Julie from the fall. Oh and the majority of the returned died via water - the coach crash into the water, the deaths when the dam burst, Mrs Costa (has to be my favourite character) fell through the ice and drowned, Mr Costa dived off the dam, etc.

These sprites have a reputation for interfering (with benign intent) in the ways of humans (Victor trying to stop the coach crashing and to stop the dam being built) but it doesn't usually work because the sprites cannot (usually) influence fate. Victor is obviously very special!

Adèle was already dead - she'd killed herself (timing was hotly debated!) and Simon realised this when he had that brief fight with her at the door when she hit him and he ended up holding her wrist. Both dead, they created their own reality by going back to their wedding day... and there was the possibility that Adèle, like Lucy, would become a guardian sprite between human and (er...) sprite world in charge of the care and placement of changelings. The man in the cave was either Simon as he really was or a manifestation of one of the people that had chosen to hide themselves away and not carouse around town with the rest of The Horde. Or perhaps he was one who had no one to return to, no one who still loved and mourned him.

Also hotly debated was whether Julie was dead and the consensus was no, the writers had been messing with viewers' heads (and perhaps their own) and Julie - despite her brushes with death - was alive. None of us could ever remember her showing signs of rotting... but equally Léna rotting in S1 was never satisfactorily explained other than it being a twin thing.

So there you go... doesn't explain everything (and other opinions / explanations are available ) but apparently the clue to the relevance of this water sprite / changeling myth was in the book that Victor was reading in an early episode of series 2.'

Comment

Working...
              X