No announcement yet.

Ooh, Betty!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeez, I saw "Betty" in the thread title, opened it up, saw a reference to Crawford and thought there was a discussion about What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? which was on BBC2 last night!

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
      Ooh, Betty!
      Dermot Morgan was an extraordinary mimic, and had a radio show that was massively popular at the end of the Haughey Era. which was a time of massive corruption and extravagant characters. You wouldn't know too many of the politicians involved at the time, but here's Eamon dunphy making an attention seeking appearance on the news
      That is fantastic.

I always found it very hard to reconcile the later Micheal Crawford, King of the West End and Broadway, with Frank Spencer. I would change the channel as quickly as possible whenever SMDAE came on though, rather than wait to examine the clues therein.

Comment

I really only remember him as a character (Byron?) on TWTWTW.

Comment

He was in some sixties fillums, including How I Won The War, A Funny Thing Happened To Me On The Way To The Forum and The Knack And How To Get It. Standard Talking Pictures fare.

Comment

The first time I saw Crawford outside of Frank Spencer was in a Michael Winner film called The Games about four athletes preparing for and running the Olympic marathon. Him playing a dramatic role was a surprise, even more so when he became the first Phantom of the Opera.

Comment

How can you forget Condorman?!

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                Beloved of Chris Kelly and Clapperboard as I recall.

Comment

Saw it at the cinema. It's a Disney film, I think so I was hoping it'd end up on Disney plus but still no joy. I'm also waiting for the 1950s Zorro tv series to turn up on it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                    But my god, Michael Crawford. He can do mannerisms, and a silly voice. They can put him in a beret, wrap him in a mac and have him wear his tank top in his pyjamas. It's not enough hide what a fine figure of a man he was. Like a dancer with everyone pretending that he's a weird, ungainly figure.
                    I don't think there are too many better examples of an actor given such a thankless role and giving it such gusto - no matter what you think of the show itself, there's no denying that it's an absolute tour de force of a performance.

And Crawford has no shame, embarrassment or preciousness about it even with his other endeavours, which counts heavily in his favour.

Comment

I can remember seeing Crawford in Billy at Drury Lane back in 1975. He was certainly more than adequate for the role, but was at the height of his fame at that time (mainly thanks to the sitcom) and the promotion of the musical reflected this.

As for Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em itself, yes, yes, 'he did all his own stunts', but I find it a bit too uncomfortable a watch these days. As with the far-bleaker Mrs Merton and Malcolm from twenty years later (which its creators had the good sense to shelve after the first series), the show as far as I can see now was basically poking fun at infantilism and learning difficulties.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                        He was in some sixties fillums, including How I Won The War, A Funny Thing Happened To Me On The Way To The Forum and The Knack And How To Get It. Standard Talking Pictures fare.
                        He also appeared as a guest on Quizball.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                          the show as far as I can see now was basically poking fun at infantilism and learning difficulties.
                          Yes, though we laugh with more than at him, and his wife loves him and never treats him badly. Unless I misremember.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                            The black Porsches left a lasting impression on me. I've always wanted a Porsche, but unless something remarkable happens, a Taycan remains an occupant of the dream garage.

Comment

Working...
                            X