Amy Pascal, The Interview, North Korea, blah blah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.tmz.com/2014/12/18/amy-pascal-look-alike-photos-sony-wrong-woman-video/

Amy Pascal is a friend of mine. She's a facebook friend, she grew up down the street from me.

After the Sony Pictures hack, when she was exposed for writing racist emails, her face was run on the cover of the USA Today.

Only, uh...

On the bright side, she will shortly be receiving a huge amount of money from USA Today and Time.

I wish something like this would happen to me.

Comment

She'll get a fat check for it. Money can buy a lot.

Or what the above speaker said.

Comment

She is not going to be able to retire on the settlements.

This whole story is quite bonkers.

Comment

Blimey, TMZ's writing style and use of punctuation are quite something. I think I'll go and lie down in a dark and quiet room for a little while.

Comment

I've Googled my name a few times.. it turns out there's loads of alternate me out there.

Nothing to do but to wait. One of them is bound to screw up eventually.

Comment

Hugh Fatbastard wrote: I've Googled my name a few times.. it turns out there's loads of alternate me out there.

Given the obesity 'crisis' / 'epidemic', there are Fatbastards everywhere.

Comment

Jongudmund wrote:
                Originally posted by Hugh Fatbastard
                I've Googled my name a few times.. it turns out there's loads of alternate me out there.

Given the obesity 'crisis' / 'epidemic', there are Fatbastards everywhere.
                Indeed, but are there ? You can't just be one or the other - you have to be both.

Comment

This is very good on the larger questions.

Literally, we are in the realm of beyond stupid with this.

Comment

Agree that the story is bonkers. I am amazed that they have pulled the movie, though I imagined it was more to hide from the rank embarrassment from how dreadful the movie is now it is getting a lot of attention rather than being a theater-led 'there is a threat to our safety'.

Some kid is sat in his attic a mix of very excited and terrified at how big a deal this has all become.

Comment

Given that there's no particular reason to think these hackers can do any real damage (although as we saw in Boston, it doesn't take a highly organized group of highly trained assassins to kill a lot of people, but that's true everywhere everyday), this is just more security theater (heh heh) from the theater owners, I guess.

I saw the third Christian Bale Batman film in a sprawl shopping center near Baltimore soon after that murder spree in Colorado and there was a lot of extra security there. There was no particularly good reason to think another showing of that film versus any other film or any other public place, would be targeted, but once the idea that movie theaters aren't safe gets out there thanks to our ridiculous media, then it can depress ticket sales and the theaters need to nip that in the bud.

So I guess that's what's happening here. But unlike with the Batman film, this one wasn't likely to pack 'em in. Christmas is the time to put out family movies since families are together and will be looking to get out of the house (I'm already scouting what our family will see with my brother's kids). It's also a good time for Oscar-worthy type stuff. The Interview is neither. So they probably figured hiring extra security wasn't worth what they'd make from The Interview anyway and just decided to bag it and then spin it to as them looking out for their customers' safety. If this were the next Star Wars or Avengers movie, I suspect the film would have opened on schedule.

I get the vague impression that there's more to all of this that has nothing to do with terror threats and everything to do with the big theater chains' business relationship with Sony, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Like maybe the theaters don't think this is a good Christmas movie and are hoping to get it moved to a more favorable opening date.

Comment

Now Paramount Pictures has stopped theaters from showing Team America: World Police, as some had planned.

Comment

Nobody wants to be the target of the next cyber attack. A very real concern, I guess.

Comment

Great news with it being pulled. Anything with Seth Rogen in it should be sunk down the Mariana Trench.

Comment

Is this the first movie that will not be printed on the Asian black market?

Comment

An interesting aspect to this is that there is quite a reasonable chance that the hackers have a late cut of the film already.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: An interesting aspect to this is that there is quite a reasonable chance that the hackers have a late cut of the film already.
                                  The Kim Jong-un death scene has already been leaked. Quite spectacular and a little NSFW too.

Comment

Hugh Fatbastard wrote: I've Googled my name a few times.. it turns out there's loads of alternate me out there.

Careful though, the other ones are also waiting for you to screw up, it's a matter of who will blink first.

Comment

So what's the big deal here? Sony pulls film hardly anybody was going to see anyway. Has everyone gone mad, or just America?
                                      When the north Koreans come out looking like the sam sane, sensible ones something is very wrong.

Comment

Has anyone else noticed how much leaner and fitter the Kim Young un in the film is compared to the real one?

Maybe sony can use the hiatus to cheese him up a bit for the re-release.

Comment

Green Calx wrote: On the bright side, she will shortly be receiving a huge amount of money from USA Today and Time.

I wish something like this would happen to me.
                                          it's not impossible, and given your line of work, shouldn't be too hard to arrange. I'm afraid my name is far too rare, and i know about half of the people who share my name. This is an alarmingly common and easy libel to make isn't it?

Comment

I worry about copycat cyber attacks. I'm imagining all those elderly Tories who got steamed up over Hilary Mantel's The Assasination Of Margaret Thatcher opening up their home computers, dragging the internet explorer icon into the wastebasket and thinking "That'll show 'em."

Comment

DPRK loses internet access.

North Korea’s already tenuous links to the Internet went completely dark on Monday after days of instability, in what Internet monitors described as one of the worst North Korean network failures in years.

The loss of service came just days after President Obama pledged that the United States would launch a “proportional response” to the recent attacks on Sony Pictures, which government officials have linked to North Korea.

Comment

Limited release in indy cinemas on Xmas.

Sony held a conference call with theatre owners on Tuesday and gave them the go ahead to release the movie in a limited number of independent cinemas. The decision came after President Barack Obama said Sony had “made a mistake” pulling the movie following a campaign to kill the movie that the US government believes was organised by North Korea.

Comment

It's probably the wrong audience for indy cinemas, but at least it should help them economically by attracting mainstream viewers.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X