Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Wars Trailer!

Yup, that is the basic story.

The black guy is an ex-storm trooper who has changed sides.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

I've managed to miss until now that Boyega was the male lead in 'Attack the Block', that is promising. Must rewatch that.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

They live a long time. Chewbacca is apparently 200 years old in Star Wars: A New Hope.

He spent a lot of his early life as a slave until Han rescued him. So now he owes a life-debt to Han. This was according to the Han Sols novels that came out in the early 80s. I think a lot of that has been retconned now.

(In later comics Chewie dies saving Han's children so the life-debt gets paid off.)

Why do i know all this stuff? I don't even have to look it up.
        In one of the terrible spin-off novels, they go to the Planet Of The Wookies. Where it turns out that every other wookie speaks (presuambly RADA-accented) perfect English, but Chewbacca has a speech impediment which explains why he barks like a dog!

I read another one where Luke visits a planet of sexy lady vampires. I'm assuming the new films pretend all this other crap never happened...

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

I've never watched the Star Wars Holiday Special, but doesn't some of that happen on Chewbacca's home planet?

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Just watched the trailer. More TIE fighters flying in planetary atmospheres. Not happy.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Mumpo wrote: Just watched the trailer. More TIE fighters flying in planetary atmospheres. Not happy.
              Why's that a bad thing then?

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

The crashed star destroyer in the desert made me squeal with delight, though.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Stumpy Pepys wrote: I've never watched the Star Wars Holiday Special, but doesn't some of that happen on Chewbacca's home planet?
                  Most of it is set on Chewbacca's home planet.

And it's wookiee

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                    Originally posted by Mumpo
                    Just watched the trailer. More TIE fighters flying in planetary atmospheres. Not happy.
                    Why's that a bad thing then?
                    I refer you to page two of this thread.

Mumpo wrote: There are certain sci-fi space ships that have clearly been designed to work only in space. And the TIE fighter, with its big, fragile and palpably un-aerodynamic solar panels, is one of them. An X-wing looks more streamlined and robust, I can accept that flying through an atmosphere. But not a TIE fighter

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Nice

The Trailer that is.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Mumpo wrote: There are certain sci-fi space ships that have clearly been designed to work only in space. And the TIE fighter, with its big, fragile and palpably un-aerodynamic solar panels, is one of them. An X-wing looks more streamlined and robust, I can accept that flying through an atmosphere. But not a TIE fighter
                        Well, I've two replies to that.

1. Any spaceship designer who came up with a spaceship that couldn't fly in an atmosphere should be sacked immediately. In space, the shape of a spaceship is irrelevant
                        2. Star Wars was never afraid to stretch the laws of physics and aerodynamics. I mean in the battle sequences, pilots do banked turns, which makes sense in an atmosphere but makes no sense at all in space. However, it does look good.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Loathe as I am to wade into this, TIE fighters were designed as a short range fighter to be launched from Imperial starships. Mumpo is right. They weren't designed for atmospheric flight at all. Ask yourself why there weren't any during the Battle of Hoth.

Off for a shower to wash the geek off me.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Try a crowbar...

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Alright then geeks, what class of spaceship should the Empire be using for atmospheric flight?

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

That's up to JJ Abrams and his crew, I'd say. Something that doesn't look like the solar panels are going to be torn off the second they hit air resistance.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Harry Truscott wrote: Do we know how long Wookies live for? If it's, say...five hundred years, then the time between the episodes may not be significant to age them that much.
                                  I was right, wookiees (apologies for the spelling mistake earlier, very embarrassed) live for up 400 years plus - according to Wookieepedia.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

I can confidently state that pretty much every spaceship in the Star Wars universe has aerodynamic properties comparable to that of a cheese and ham roll.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Stumpy Pepys wrote: I can confidently state that pretty much every spaceship in the Star Wars universe has aerodynamic properties comparable to that of a cheese and ham roll.
                                      Would that be a baguette style roll or something like an oven bottom muffin type?

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

All this talk of Wookiees aging has got me wondering if bears go grey as they get older. I'm thinking Grizzly rather than Polar, which would be less obvious.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

My sister's Curly Coated Retriever went amusingly grey around the muzzle in her later years.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

The Ballad Of Lightbowne Lil wrote: Loathe as I am to wade into this, TIE fighters were designed as a short range fighter to be launched from Imperial starships. Mumpo is right. They weren't designed for atmospheric flight at all. Ask yourself why there weren't any during the Battle of Hoth.

Off for a shower to wash the geek off me.
                                            Yes, but Star Wars part 7 is set in the future, so I am sure the Empire has developed an atmosphere app which allows TIE fighters to function in atmospheric conditions. They are probably launched out of an AT-AT's arse.

I'm surprised at how genuinely excited I am about this. I watched half an hour of the Phantom Menace before switching it off for the atrocity it was and ignored the other two prequels, but this upcoming series has got me intrigued- the trailer has a TIE fighter pursuing the millennium falcon through the fuselage of a crashed Star Destroyer lying in the desert for God's sake.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Yeah, but is directed by J.J. Abrams, the guy who directed the god awful Star Trek reboot films.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Antonio Pulisao wrote: … the guy who directed the god awful Star Trek reboot films.
                                                That's something of a minority opinion.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Anorak Smith wrote: All this talk of Wookiees aging has got me wondering if bears go grey as they get older. I'm thinking Grizzly rather than Polar, which would be less obvious.
                                                  Chewbacca's dad in the holiday special looks pretty white, so I guess they do go grey.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

gavc23 wrote:
                                                    Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys
                                                    I can confidently state that pretty much every spaceship in the Star Wars universe has aerodynamic properties comparable to that of a cheese and ham roll.
                                                    Would that be a baguette style roll or something like an oven bottom muffin type?
                                                    More importantly, has science ever subjected the cheese and ham roll to a wind-tunnel test? And how does this compare to a cheese and pickle roll?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X