Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Wars Trailer!

Bordeaux Education wrote:

(apart from the "Phantom Menace"esque droid)
    The one in the Jubilee Line station?

I'm not sure that's particularly 'Phantom Menace', there was a similar enough one in 'TFA' (indeed it was in the trailer for that too) :

And I'm sure you can find them dotted through most/all of the films.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Ah yes. Actually, I seem to remember not liking it in that scene in TFA now. Maybe I have just got a irrational dislike of lanky droids.

Which must be a Half Man Half Biscuit title.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Ray de Galles wrote:
        Originally posted by Luke R
        Could be the Emperor, Jyn, Snoke, Vader. I've read today that thing in the background could be a Bacta tank, like the one Luke was in.

Liking the idea of this film more and more. No Jedi's in this gang.
        Whitaker's character seems pretty Jedish to me.
        I'm on mobile right now, so finding and linking is awkward, but the director said something along the lines of - they'll be no God to save them on this film, which fans have decided that means no Jedi.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Mumpo wrote: I hope they do a movie of that story in the comics where Boba Fett has to rescue Jabba the Hutt's kidnapped daughter. That was a classic.
          Kind of covered in the Clone Wars animated series where Anakin and Ahsoka have to rescue Jabba's kidnapped son. The villain in that peice was Zorba the Hutt who they made even more 'evil' than Jabba by camping him up with an ear-ring, eye make up and a Kenneth Williams style voice.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Luke R wrote: Could be the Emperor, Jyn, Snoke, Vader. .
            It surely won't be Snoke as he has emerged in the gap since the destruction of the second death star and the rise of the First Order. Putting him in this one wouldn't make any continuity sense.

Not sure who 'Jyn' is in this list.

It's bound to be Vader IMO

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Luke R wrote:
              Originally posted by Ray de Galles
              Could be the Emperor, Jyn, Snoke, Vader. I've read today that thing in the background could be a Bacta tank, like the one Luke was in.

Liking the idea of this film more and more. No Jedi's in this gang.
              Whitaker's character seems pretty Jedish to me.
              I'm on mobile right now, so finding and linking is awkward, but the director said something along the lines of - they'll be no God to save them on this film, which fans have decided that means no Jedi.
              I'd read 'No God' = 'No Force', so yeah that rules out Jedi.

Makes sense as well as Tarken tells Vader that the Jedi are all but extinct in A New Hope. Relict Jedi have been a staple of the comics and other offshoots for a while. See e.g. Kanan in Star Wars Rebels.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Patrick Thistle wrote:
                Could be the Emperor, Jyn, Snoke, Vader. .
                It surely won't be Snoke as he has emerged in the gap since the destruction of the second death star and the rise of the First Order. Putting him in this one wouldn't make any continuity sense.

Not sure who 'Jyn' is in this list.

It's bound to be Vader IMO
                Jyn is Felicity Jones' character, isn't she?

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Very detailed shot-by-shot breakdown of the trailer here, with some wider speculation.

And, yeah, it seems my first impressions of Whitaker's character were off target.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Good article Ray. And also thanks for explaining who Jyn is. Had missed that.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Ray de Galles wrote: This is one of three spin-off movies that happen around the main nine films. It's very much a 'Star Wars Universe' type thing.

This one is about how the Rebels got the plans for the Death Star that were used in 'A New Hope' and there will be another about the young Han Solo. The plot of the third one is yet to be revealed.
                      Ok. That's helpful. While my initial response would normally be to think so many spin-offs is just cheapening and diluting the whole thing, I go to the movies about 2-3 times a year either way. I'd rather go see a Star Wars film than some other junk that I will likely forget about 2 weeks after I've seen the movie.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

That little snippet of music at the end which melds together the classic Alliance and Imperial soundtracks is genius.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

danielmak wrote: I go to the movies about 2-3 times a year either way. I'd rather go see a Star Wars film than some other junk that I will likely forget about 2 weeks after I've seen the movie.
                          I think you are precisely the demographic the company are aiming at.

I reckon they can get away with one a year. It hasn't harmed the Marvel films.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Given the way the Marvel ones have been churning out any old shit that came out of Stan Lee's head like Ant Man and talking space racoons, I'd be fairly confident on a Star Wars spin-off movie set on Endor and starring only Ewoks.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

They already did that in the 80s. Twice.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: Given the way the Marvel ones have been churning out any old shit that came out of Stan Lee's head like Ant Man and talking space racoons, I'd be fairly confident on a Star Wars spin-off movie set on Endor and starring only Ewoks.
                                Ant-Man was pretty good and if you're dissing Guardians of the Galaxy you can just carry on sucking that lemon you sour old man.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

I didn't go see Ant Man or Guardians of the Galaxy in the cinema but saw both on the satellite was pleasantly surprised by both. Maybe my expectations were too low, but by comparison that last Avengers movie was one the cheesiest pieces of junk I have seen in a while so I think I've kept some perspective on these things.

But with all of that said, the last Star Wars film was way better than any of these. I admit, though, that nostalgia is going to play a role since I was a kid when Star Wars first came out and loved those films.

EDIT: I just read that Rian Johnson will be writing and directing the next non-spin-off. I've lost track of the numbers. He did a really cool film called Brick and a pretty good film called Looper. The second seemed to have some money behind it, but if you haven't seen Brick, check it out. Noir detective novels transferred to a high school (US) setting.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Looper was one of those films that was really well made and engaging even though it's central premise was a logical inconsistency.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Patrick Thistle wrote:
                                      Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair Fan
                                      Given the way the Marvel ones have been churning out any old shit that came out of Stan Lee's head like Ant Man and talking space racoons, I'd be fairly confident on a Star Wars spin-off movie set on Endor and starring only Ewoks.
                                      Ant-Man was pretty good and if you're dissing Guardians of the Galaxy you can just carry on sucking that lemon you sour old man.
                                      Seconded, Rogin reaching Roginesque levels of Not-knowing-what-he's-talking-about there.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Patrick Thistle wrote: Looper was one of those films that was really well made and engaging even though it's central premise was a logical inconsistency.
                                        Yeah, it's hard to see how a person and his future self can be in the same place at the same time. There was this pretty good teen movie called Project Almanac about a group of high school kids who figure out how to make a time machine after discovering the secrets in one of the basement lab of one of the kids. It was produced by MTV. Anyway, the premise was that the when the kids time traveled they could not run into themselves or some weird time/space continuum thing happened and both the past and present selves basically disappeared.

Project Almanac is by no means a film to be confused with a high quality drama, for example, but it was good entertainment. Folks into time travel stuff should check it out. Anyway, the general plot made a bit more sense than Looper, although Looper had some nice sub-plot with Bruce Willis' disappearance to Asia.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

I enjoyed Looper but could never quite deal with the make up Joseph Gordon-Levitt had to look more like the young Bruce Willis :

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Alden Ehrenreich confirmed to play young Han Solo.

He was excellent in 'Hail Caeser!' (which probably clinched the role as Solo for him) but not seen him in anything else yet.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

What do we recko the plot for the Solo movie will involve? All of the back story we know about - of him meeting Chewie, winning the Falcon from Lando in a card game, and running into trouble with Jabba, or do you think they'll go off somewehere completely different?

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

All the former, I hope.

The problem with the excellent Ehrenreich will be that I will keep on expecting him to say "It's complicated" and show his rope trickery.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

In the now non-canon Solo gets booted from the Imperial Academy when a student prank goes wrong and a moon gets blown up.

Also it would be great to finally see Corellia. Wiling to bet Lando will be in the mix too. He'd have to be really.

Comment

Star Wars Trailer!

Adam Driver spotted in Ireland filming for episode 8 (along with Daisy Ridley and Mark Hamill). Doesn't take much to speculate some kind of showdown between them on that island from the last one.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X