Most overrated movie you've seen - Knock-out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the "Making of Blade Runner" documentary, Scott says it was based on Port Talbot" and, apparently, he mentioned it in an Empire magazine as well. Having said that, any inspiration is going to be an amalgam of influences so all the ones mentioned could be part of it.

Apparently, Wilton Chemical Plant was approached by scouts for one of the Alien films so he certainly was thinking about it when he made movies.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: In the "Making of Blade Runner" documentary, Scott says it was based on Port Talbot" and, apparently, he mentioned it in an Empire magazine as well.
      Good job it wasn't based on Burry Port. That would have been a very different movie.

Comment

Or Mick Talbot. Imagine setting a dystopian sci-fi epic in an approximation of the man from the Style Council. It just would have looked weird.

Comment

I believe that Weller did explore this option in the Council's challenge-the-audience heyday. He walked away from the project in disillusionment when budgetary considerations led to his epic Ballardian vision being downgraded to Mick wearing a white t shirt with Duran Duran's Wild Boys video projected onto his belly.

Comment

Renarto wrote: Dead Poet's Society seems to glorify WASP preppies, in my opinion, at least the "sensitive" heroes of the movie. Also, the way Mork encourages his students to enjoy literature in the movie is utter bollocks: the worst sort of romantic uncritical narcissism—enjoying being the sort of person who likes poetry rather than enjoying poetry. Its influence has probably caused headaches and eyerolls among English teachers for years.
            Granted I haven't seen it in a while, but I don't think that's in the film at all. It's pretty clear that he wants to them to actually care about literature. He says that art and poetry are what make life worth living. That's pretty emphatic.

Clearly, some of the DPS are really into it and some of them just hope it will make them cooler. You'll have that with teenagers. But I've noticed that a lot of great actors and musicians recall that their original reasons for getting into it were vague or were just about getting girls and drugs.

Actually the worst thing that I think can be said about it is that it kinda glorifies teenage suicide. The kid kills himself to get back at his dad for forcing him to be a Doctor instead of letting him figure out what he wants to do on his own (like become an actor, maybe). As a teenager seeing it, I saw the dead kid as the hero of the whole story. That's fucked up and yet, it's impossible to not sympathize with how he felt.

Comment

G-Man wrote:
              Originally posted by Reed John
              He's very good in Good Will Hunting. He's generally excellent when he's not trying to be funny.
              Obviously Robin Williams is awful in comedies. The Birdcage should be declared a crime scene. But in dramatic roles, he's awfully, cloyingly sentimental. Awakenings is a good example of the fucker trying to pour treacle into our eyes. Dead Poet's Society, too.

And yet, he was mostly good in Good Morning Vietnam, in the dramatic parts as well as the comedy sequences (except when he did his gay hairdresser thing, which I'm quite sure Cronauer never did). Else he's bearable only in really dark roles. He was good in One Hour Photo.
              I liked Awakenings and DPS and didn't find it OTT at all. Perhaps it's a cultural difference. I don't even know what treacle is. I have a vague idea, only.

The real Adrian Cronauer is, reportedly, a conservative douche. So...

Comment

Just remembered a contender from this year: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.

The only thing good about it were the scenery shots in Iceland and central Asia.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: In the "Making of Blade Runner" documentary, Scott says it was based on Port Talbot" and, apparently, he mentioned it in an Empire magazine as well. Having said that, any inspiration is going to be an amalgam of influences so all the ones mentioned could be part of it.
                  Port Talbot has the flames as well, burning off the gases. That's what makes the Blade Runner cityscape so futuristic, to me.

Comment

Jongudmund wrote: Port Talbot has the flames as well, burning off the gases. That's what makes the Blade Runner cityscape so futuristic, to me.
                    A couple of years ago, The Lady I Walked To The Registry Office With and I spent out holidays in Pembrokeshire, which entailed taking the coach from Bristol to Haverfordwest. One of the stops en route was Port Talbot.

As we were driving through the town, I noticed that The Lady I Walked To The Registry Office With had gone unusually quiet. When asked why this was, she made a sweeping gesture with her hand and said, "This place scares the living shit out of me."

Comment

She is only repeating what many of us living there thought.

The view I remember as a kid from the otherwise beautiful Rest Bay in Porthcawl

Rest Bay, of course, being a place a fair few may recognise.

While we are on the subject of films around about that area, apparently parts of "Lawrence Of Arabia" were filmed on the sand dunes the other side of Porthcawl behind my Mum and Dad's house. To be honest, as I had only heard my Mum say this for years, I assumed she had made it up but I have seen it mentioned in many places, even ones that aren't trying to get tourists to Porthcawl.

Jongudmund wrote: Port Talbot has the flames as well, burning off the gases. That's what makes the Blade Runner cityscape so futuristic, to me.
                      I think Wilton Chemical Plant would have that as well.

Comment

I've not seen Wilton Chemical Plant, but Port Talbot is a whole town of it.

They've now fired up the new blast furnace and that has added to the night-time light-show.

Comment

Jongudmund wrote: Just remembered a contender from this year: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.

The only thing good about it were the scenery shots in Iceland and central Asia.
                          Nobody really rated that, though.

The scenery shots made it worth watching, but yeah, otherwise. Meh.

Comment

Kryvbas Gripper Rih wrote: I have to agree with Rogin about The Matrix and its trilogies. All rubbish. In fact, one of the reasons I very rarely bother with films these days are that they all get hyped up and are invariably not up to scratch. The Matrix being the final straw for me in terms of deciding not to waste time and money on 'blockbuster' films.
                            Here's the thing about the Matrix: with a few adjustments (actually a lot) it could have been soooo much better and it has a lot of elements of the stories of William Gibson, Japanime, Philip K Dick, etc, that deserve to be made into movies. But instead of those much better movies that many fans have in their heads, we got The Matrix Trilogy. So a lot of fans are willing to pretend it was much better than they know it was. Star Wars is, to be fair, a bit like that.

Indeed, I've thought about doing a thread on "There's a better film in there" about mediocre or crap films that have a kernel of a much better film in them. I'll have to think of some more, but if anyone else has ideas feel free to start without me.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
                              2001: A Space Odyssey . [...] I vastly preferred the sequel.
                              Rinse your mouth out with soap! 2010??? The shite 1980s Hollywood film whereby they predict the future will be just like the 1980s, with the USA and USSR still around.

These two screenshots just about sum it up:

2010, the 1980s film which predicts that in the future we will be using tacky 1980s Japanese CRT screens:

2001, the film made in 1968 that fucking predicts iPADS.

And also inflight entertainment in the back of airliner seats.

There is no comparison.

2001 isn't a film and it certainly isn't a movie. By that definition it shouldn't even be on this thread. It transcends cinema. It's a work of art and breathtaking visual experience. Saying that 2001 is an "overrated movie" is like saying Mozart is an "overrated pop act."

I'm not having any of it.

One of my favourite bits must be, as a geologist, that the cinematic cue for going from apes to space age humans is the playing of Strauss. It's brilliant, the whole idea that our share of time on Earth so far has been so insignificant that it may as well be represented by classical music.

Comment

hear hear

Comment

Mozart was pop back then.

Comment

I wonder when car windows will become active computer screens? I've always thought that's gotta happen.

Comment

It's already with us...
                                      http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2461037,00.asp

Jet fighters have had that for a while.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: To be honest, if I hadn't known already about Port Talbot, I would have said Ellesmere Port would have been a likely candidate - especially since I found out they are destroying Syria's chemical weapons there.
                                        Holy fucking WHAT ?

Comment

Antonio Pulisao wrote: Rinse your mouth out with soap! 2010??? The shite 1980s Hollywood film whereby they predict the future will be just like the 1980s, with the USA and USSR still around.

2010, the 1980s film which predicts that in the future we will be using tacky 1980s Japanese CRT screens:

There is no comparison.
                                          Accurate futurology a good movie does not make.

Comment

Vicarious Thrillseeker wrote:
                                            Originally posted by Bored of Education
                                            To be honest, if I hadn't known already about Port Talbot, I would have said Ellesmere Port would have been a likely candidate - especially since I found out they are destroying Syria's chemical weapons there.
                                            Holy fucking WHAT ?
                                            Mm-hm

Comment

Oh yeah. 'Gravity'. Dull, vacuous, turgid. But - enough about Sandra. The film goes nowhere. In 3-D.

Comment

Gravity could have done with less Bullock and Clooney, and just more shots of the Earth as a backdrop going by. I could have sat watching that all day.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by Antonio Pulisao
                                                  Rinse your mouth out with soap! 2010??? The shite 1980s Hollywood film whereby they predict the future will be just like the 1980s, with the USA and USSR still around.

There is no comparison.
                                                  No, and that's not what made 2001 a great work.

But shit futurology that's out of date pretty much as soon as the film is released made 2010 a crap film.

Comment

Antonio Pulisao wrote:
                                                    Originally posted by Bored of Education
                                                    Originally posted by Antonio Pulisao

There is no comparison.
                                                    No, and that's not what made 2001 a great work.

But shit futurology that's out of date pretty much as soon as the film is released made 2010 a crap film.
                                                    2010 was easier to follow and had more character development. 2001 is a much better film overall, I suppose, but 2010 is somehow more satisfying in the end. I think. I suppose thinking about this is not a good use of my time.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X