• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hollywood's 100 Favourite Films

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/list/100-greatest-films-all-time-713215

Discuss if you wish.

I've never understood why Shawshank polls so high in these things. I like it well enough, but I wouldn't dream of putting it in my top 50, let alone the top 5 or 10 where it regularly appears in polls. Then again, Forrest fucking Gump is 14 in this one.

Comment

I love Shawshank, but I realize it's not one of 'the greats'. However, I've never understood the near-universal hate-on for Gump.

Comment

3 non English language films. Just 3 and two of those were made since 2000 and went mainstream. Seven Samurai sneaking in place 100 is the only exception.

The Wizard of Oz is the one that befuddles me in lists like these. I detest Gone With The Wind but I can see the appeal.

Comment

I truly hate The Wizard of OZ

Comment

I think I'll make my own top 100 later

Comment

Gone with the wind is excellent just for the performance of Toto, who spends most of the film just fucking off set and doing his own thing.

Comment

Erm....yes. Except when the Tin Man runs off with Scarlett, and...

Comment

Two Lord of the Rings films? Ghostbusters? Wall-E?

Navel-gazing imbeciles.

Comment

Only two Seth Rogen comedies? PPV will freak out when he sees that.

Comment

The list doesn't make sense before the first movie is even mentioned. Header says "favorite", then suddenly it's "best". Which one is it supposed to be?

Few of my favorite films of all time are Dogma, National Lampoon's Christmas vacation and A river runs through it.

Some of the best include Mary & Max, American Beauty and The Great Dictator.

The favorites are the kind where I get stuck if they're on TV, even if I happen to come in at the middle and even if I've seen them a million times. The best I don't necessarily do the same.

There are obviously some which are both among favorites and best at the same time.

Comment

What's wrong with Ghostbusters and Wall-E? They'd definitely be in my top 50. Possibly top 20.

Comment

Wall-E is great. Among animated I still rate The Jungle Book higher though. Above it, Up or Toy Story.

Comment

Is there a single surprise in that list? I would say not.

Comment

Well, the fact that When Harry Met Sally ranks so highly, above some absolutely suoerior movies, is a bit of a surprise. I mean, I like the movie a lot, but it's not a Top 100 movie, never mind #38.

A quick count reveals that I have seen 75 of these 100 films (the science fiction and Lord of the Rings films accounted for many of the 25 I didn't see). And of the 75 I did see, I have 36 on DVD or video.

And still, it's an irredeemably rubbish list if it excludes The Maltese Falcon and Once Upon A Time In America in favour of some of the pedestrian stuff that is included.

Comment

Ferris Buellers Day Off! WTF!

Comment

Squarewheelbike wrote: Ferris Buellers Day Off! WTF!
                                  I know, it should be above The Breakfast Club.

Comment

Silence of The Lambs at 22 baffles me; a whole lot of hype for a film that lacked the tension or style of Manhunter.

Surprised but also pleased to see Titanic as low as 45. Equally surprised and dismayed that Some Like It Hot is at 47. I might have to watch Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind to see if Kate Winslet's bright red hair can distract me from the realisation that Jim Carrey also features.

From a Spielberg perspective, can Raiders of The Lost Ark really rate more highly than Jaws, both critically and commercially? That's an odd one.

A few Hitchcocks comes as no surprise but the recent re-evaluation of Vertigo has not reached this particular chart, though no doubt the Pythons will be chuffed that it is 2 places ahead with The Holy Grail.

Young Frankenstein over Blazing Saddles? Hell No. And where's The Producers? Schmucks.

Comment

The Matrix above Rear Window.

Poke it.

Comment

Comment

From a Spielberg perspective, can Raiders of The Lost Ark really rate more highly than Jaws, both critically and commercially?
                                          Why? Raiders is about as perfect an action adventure movies as you'll get. Jaws is very good, but it's not obvious to me that one is clearly better than the other.

Comment

At face value I'd agree with you.

I think you could argue that Jaws was more significant/influential though. It revived the monster/horror/thriller genre that had been languishing since the 50s. It also paved the way for similar retro-genre blockbusters, like Raiders of the Lost Ark (a reiteration of Doc Savage/King Solomon's Mines) and, the biggest of all, Star Wars (Flash Gordon.)

Comment

Working...
                                            X