Disappeared Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
    I think it's one of those Clint action films that was always on British TV in my youth (at least a decade after it came out in cinema) like Where Eagles Dare and to a lesser extent Kelly's Heroes that you just never see any more.
    It was on in the UK the Xmas before last. I remember, because my son started watching it with my dad, whereupon Clint stuck a knife a German soldier's neck. At 6 pm.

Comment

There's never a good time to have a knife stuck in your neck.

Comment

The Eiger Sanction is a long term fixture on the BBC iPlayer. It's a weird combination of espionage and mountaineering. I watched it last year and it hasn't aged well because of the streaks of misanthropy in general and misogyny in particular that run through a lot of Eastwood's work from the time. The characters do sport some cool outdoor jackets though.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
          Here We Go Round the Mullberry Bush - Standard late 60's coming of age film about a kid in suburban England trying to get a shag, only to find he wasn't really ready to deal with it. Would be completely forgettable but for a detour into weirdness where he ends up dating a very posh girl whose father is a totally unhinged Delholm Elliot. That and it absolutely captures the feeling of middling British feeder towns like the one I grew up in. Endless identikit houses, nothing to do between the ages of 12 and 17 except be an irritation to everybody etc. A gem of a film that coined the decidely of it's time but still funny expression "Crumpeteering."
          It was filmed in Stevenage. You can see yours truly walking through the town centre in one brief shot. It also starred Adrienne Posta who I had a mega-crush on at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

It was filmed in Stevenage. You can see yours truly walking through the town centre in one brief shot. It also starred Adrienne Posta who I had a mega-crush on at the time.

Posta was such a face of British cinema in the late-60s/early-70s, along with Judy Geeson and one or two others.

Comment

Admirable dedication while providing mail service in Romania and elsewhere

Comment

My brain's lack of function this morning had me connecting consecutive posts without looking at the quoted part. Which meant that, for a fraction of a second, I was wondering how the Eiger Sanction was filmed in Stevenage.

Comment

Not films, but two songs.

The version of 'Like A Prayer' where she says "God?" at the start, as if she's just heard him on the stairs.

The version of 'Little Baby Nothing' with the excerpt from Streetcar at the start.

I can't find either of these, which is a bit annoying. 'Like A Prayer' is still good, if diminished, without that bit. 'Little Baby Nothing' needs the film clip imo, it kind of focuses it.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                    There was a Christmas special in 1987 called A Muppet Family Christmas. It was the last Muppet project completed by Jim Henson IIRC. It featured characters from Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock as well.

Good luck finding it. There have been rights squabbles for almost 30 years.
                    There's at least six separate uploads of it on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                      My brain's lack of function this morning had me connecting consecutive posts without looking at the quoted part. Which meant that, for a fraction of a second, I was wondering how the Eiger Sanction was filmed in Stevenage.

Comment

I was thinking A Clockwork Orange would fit this brief – hugely influential, unavailable for years, yet disowned even by its director. However, it seems it went back into circulation again after Kubrick’s death, and these days you can rent it at the touch of a button.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

There's at least six separate uploads of it on YouTube.
                          But nothing official

Comment

The BFI lists the 75 most wanted films presumed lost (no known prints exist)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BFI_75_Most_Wanted

Comment

I'd also include The Magnificent Ambersons - the film Welles made was butchered beyond recognition.

I think the original Heaven's Gate might have been unavailable for a while.

Such unavailability can increase cult status.

Comment

With the disclaimer that I don't have any streaming services beyond iPlayer/All4/ITVX, so for all I know this could be wildly inaccurate:

Hal Hartley's films from the 90s (Trust, The Unbelievable Truth, The Amateur). Usually shown late on Friday or Sunday nights on BBC2, often featuring the late, great Adrienne Shelly, and inhabiting a kind of effortlessly off-beat universe that was much less self-congratulatory than Quentin Tarantino or Guy Ritchie's roughly contemporary work. I know from experience they're very hard to find on DVD now.

Ryan O'Neal's recent death got me thinking you never see What's Up, Doc? on TV these days - or (linking via San Francisco setting) Mel Brooks' High Anxiety. In fact, Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein aside, his other films don't get much of an airing. I'm sure that wasn't the case in the 80s and 90s.
                                Last edited by Walter Knight; 25-03-2024, 17:40. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

But nothing official
                                  No, but I'd try to take comfort in the fact that enough people have fond memories of it to make it available.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Knight View Post
                                    With the disclaimer that I don't have any streaming services beyond iPlayer/All4/ITVX, so for all I know this could be wildly inaccurate:

Hal Hartley's films from the 90s (Trust, The Unbelievable Truth, The Amateur). Usually shown late on Friday or Sunday nights on BBC2, often featuring the late, great Adrienne Shelly, and inhabiting a kind of effortlessly off-beat universe that was much less self-congratulatory than Quentin Tarantino or Guy Ritchie's roughly contemporary work. I know from experience they're very hard to find on DVD now.

Ryan O'Neal's recent death got me thinking you never see What's Up, Doc? on TV these days - or (linking via San Francisco setting) Mel Brooks' High Anxiety. In fact, Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein aside, his other films don't get much of an airing. I'm sure that wasn't the case in the 80s and 90s.

Funnily enough I was going to make the same point about Mel Brooks's work. High Anxiety is a big favourite of mine and I've got it on DVD, but it would be nice if it and a lot of his other stuff was on the box.

Woody Allen's films used to clog the schedules. Now, not so much.

Comment

God, that BFI list makes me feel like I've barely been to the cinema. I mean, obviously I have not seen any of these, but I've barely heard whisper of them

Comment

Jack The Bear (1993) by Danny De Vito seemed to disappear after a critical pasting. I remember thinking it was a decent effort, with an outstanding performance by DeVito in the lead, but I don't know if it would stand up now. Apparently it's on Amazon Prime but I get "unavailable to watch in your location":

https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Bear-Dan.../dp/B01EINN9FW

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                          The BFI lists the 75 most wanted films presumed lost (no known prints exist)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BFI_75_Most_Wanted
                                          A sex comedy starring Lulu, Terry-Thomas and Spike MIlligan? I had no idea.

Comment

Spike Milligan's character is named "Mr Lal", so probably one of his oh-so-hilarious brownface turns.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

No, but I'd try to take comfort in the fact that enough people have fond memories of it to make it available.
                                              This is true.

Comment

St Trinians.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Knight View Post
                                                  I rented The Unbelievable Truth a few years back, so not that hard. Everything from TUT through Henry Fool appears to be on Cinema Paradiso

Comment

Ended up buying Trust on VHS about 15 years ago as I couldn't find it any other way at that time. That and TUT were such great movies.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X