RIP Brigit Forsyth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Brigit Forsyth

From a quick scroll through thread titles in this Forum, I don’t think we marked the death of BF on 1st December a few months ago. Bob’s wife Thelma. Just learnt of her death on being prompted to search online after spotting her in the very first episode of the David Suchet Poirot series, which I’m rewatching on DVD. RIP.

Only just come across this thread.

A good actress who took part in a great and very funny series. But who could stick being in a real-life relationship of any sort with any of the fictional protagonists?

Comment

Have you rewatched any of them?

The kindest thing to say about them is "they haven't aged well"

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

That's a hard one. Were we meant to laugh at or with the characters? There are all kinds of questions over how sexism and racism etc. are portrayed but on the whole I think Clement and La Frenais managed to steer their scripts in the right direction, though re-watching some episodes could indeed persuade me otherwise.

Comment

I think that there's a huge difference between something being 'of its time' and 'not ageing well'. A lot of the attitudes in Whatever Happened to The Likely Lads? are extremely outmoded and cringeworthy, but I genuinely believe that the audience was expected to laugh 'at' Terry (James Bolam). The scene in which Bob (Rodney Bewes) castigates him on his routine dismissal of all other nationalities should be proof of that.

Essentially a study of the relationship between two friends moving in different directions - and the superficial status-seeking therein - it remains one of the best-written comedies British TV has ever produced.

RIP of course to Brigit F - as Thelma, she was key to the dynamic between the two main characters. And of course a very decent actor all told.

Comment

Comment

Haha!

Comment

Which TV comedies from that era have aged well, in your opinion?

Comment

I have them all on DVD. And you're talking cobblers.

Comment

Working...
                  X